Long car ride

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kats1978, Mar 26, 2003.

1. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

I drove for hours yesterday, right through NYC and back home at DC area and I am hurting like there is no tomorrow.

What I would like to know is if there is anyway to know what type of pain people go through, if there is someplace that you have to drive to and it is long distance. What kind of driving do you typically need to do? And what do you do to prepare, before hand?

Typically driving calms my stress level down but right at this moment I am hurting. My back feels as though it is about to brake.
  2. teranan

teranan New Member

Hi Kats---Before the fm I used to love to drive for relaxation to,not anymore though. My wife has grown kids,grandkids in Mi we visit two or three times a year. We live in NW Pa.,its an 8 hr. drive. We take turns driving,but it usually takes two days to recover.I feel like a train wreck.Sometimes I get sick,the sitting,and stress of traffic just make all the muscles tighten up.To make it better we stop often,so I can get out and stretch.Also if your lower back hurts a small pillow behind it helps.We have a electronic adj. seat I keep adjusting up,down,bck,recline,anything to feel better. My best advice with this DD. is to not drive unless you have to.It reaks havoc with us. R and R is what you need now---Terry
  3. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I stopped driving, hubby does most of it right now. My hips and especially my legs start hurting so bad I've had to pull over. We live pretty far out from the city. I'm so glad we're moving into town this weekend so I can drive a little more since it will be short trips.

I do have pain meds and just try to make sure I take them enough time before I HAVE to drive some distance, but still sometimes I still have the pain.

Tammy