long term abx

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by coping1961, Sep 12, 2005.

1. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

my nuero dr. has fibro herself and self treated with cipro for 2 years. she said she was going to retire before this and now feels better than ever. she is willing to prescribe these for me. she is a little spacy and not good about questions she just knows it worked for her.

anyone who has done long term abx can you help me out? best kind and dosage to start on, side affects,has it helped. anything you would like to share would be appreciated.

i have a prescription in hand for 3 rounds of zithromax, but afraid to start until i asked here.
  2. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

those are usually treated with a year or 2 of abx. try doing a search. If you look under my profile I listed a lab that'll mail the kit to you and your ordering doc. it's less than $400 for the pcr testing.
  3. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I am taking Doxycycline for Mycoplasma and Famvir for EBV. I have been on them for almosty 3 months now. I was sick the first 5 days but after that started feeling better. Good Luck! Lynn
  4. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

she did no test for the mycoplasmas{sp}but she treated herself with abx and did impove. this is not her feild she is nuero dr. but she likes me and wants to see me get better and has offered to write the prescription. said we would start with the zithromax for a few months then move to a different med. i really want to try this but like i said she is a little spacy and has never done this with any other patiant.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Doxycycline, Zithromas, or Minocin are better choices. Cipro is a heavy hitter ABX and many have reactions to it. If one has an allergy to fluoride, Cipro should not be used. It will work against the cell-wall-deficient bacteria, but why use a sledgehammer when a fly swatter will do the job.

Go to Dr. Garth Nicolson's website, Immed. You can find the protocol for using the ABX long term. Basically, the ABX is used for six straight months and then one tries to go off of it for two weeks and back on for six weeks. Then, one tries to see how long one can stay off the ABX before symptoms return. If taking Doxycycline, the usual dose is 100 mgs. twice a day.

You can print this info out for your doc. I did. It took 2 1/2 years for my mycoplasma infection to come under control. I never had a problem with the Doxy. When on ABX, it is necessary to take a really good probiotic. I use the Jarro-Dophilus sold here. I take the one which needs to be refrigerated; it's cheaper.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

was hoping you would post on this. i had read some of your post on this before but could not get the search to work.
    will check out the web sight.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Let us know how it goes with the doc and update us if you decide to do the ABX.

Love, Mikie