Long term affect of high doses of Valtrex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Hi. I'm up to 4500 mg of valtrex for HHV and EBV. I think that I will be taking this 3-6 mths accoring to my FFC doctor.

Does anyone know or have read what the long term affects of such a high dose could be? I am guessing that perhaps it would affect the liver because those with liver problems should not take it (I believe).

Any other thoughts?
  2. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

This is a great question! I've taken Valtrex for a couple of months early in course of two outbreaks of 'shingles'(another herpes virus infection), and have had my liver function tested both times. These tests have shown I am still well within the normal range. I'm glad I had these tests cause I understand long term use of Valtrex, Famvir, and other anti-virals need to be monitored.
    Maybe having a liver function test would ease your worries. I've learned to request liver and kidney function tests about twice a year since I've been taking fairly heavy duty medications for several decades. My primary doc is extremely vigilant regarding medication 'load'. I'm also careful to avoid alcohol and intake of other toxins and this precaution helps my liver and kidneys stay relatively healthy.
    In my view, your concerns are a sign you are taking excellent responsibility for your own care..and in my opinion, this supervision is essential since even the best health care professionals can't keep up with each person's conditions perfectly. If a doctor has a problem with your anxiety regarding taking powerful medications, I believe this is a sign he or she is too defensive about a vital issue. I believe the best relationship with a doctor is cooperative.
    Your question is excellent. I think this website is a great resource for us to air our concerns and share information and experience. I wish you the best!!
    With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2006]
  3. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

How much valtrex have you taken? Just out of curiousity. I need to get to 4500 mg- so close!! It took me about 1 1/2 mths to get here- slowly adding in more.

Have you had success?