Long Term Disability (maybe stupid) Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. bpmwriter

    bpmwriter New Member

    In order to qualify for Long Term Disability Insurance, would I need to still be paying on the insurance policy I had while I was employed? I never thought to check my Blue Cross policy for LTD benefits when I had to leave my job due to illness. If I had those benefits, would I be able to collect if I became disabled while I was still insured?

    Thanks for any insight.

  2. rockgor

    rockgor Well-Known Member

    Don't know if I understand your question. Would a policy for health care also include disability benefits? Doubt it. Have you got the policy so you can read it

    You might talk to a workers' compensation attorney. Rights vary from state to state. Here in California you can collect benefits if your job caused or CONTRIBUTED to your disability.

    Good luck.
  3. mollyq

    mollyq New Member

    LTD is often separate from Blue Cross. The first thing you might want to do is call the Blue Cross that was covering you when you got sick and see if they did have LTD coverage on you at the time. If they did, they can tell you how to apply.

    If not, get in touch with the employer to find out if they had disability coverage that they neglected to tell you about at the time. Or you may be eligible for Social Security Disability if you meet their guidelines.

    Good luck!
  4. steach

    steach Member

    Are you talking about a disability retirement? -Or- are you talking about going on disability for an extended period of time then returning to work?

    When I was on disability leave for 17 months, my employer maintained my medical insurance; my union maintained my term-life insurance, dental and vision plans.

    If I were to take a disability retirement, I would have to pay the premiums for health insurance- my employer nor my union would cover it.

    You should be able to get confirmation on this by checking with your personnel/human resource office or by contacting your major medical insurance company.


[ advertisement ]