Long Term Disability Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

I was wondering if any of you that have applied for LTD know the answer to my dilema.. The elimination period on my policy is 75 consecutive days. I have been off now on FMLA for about 50 days. I was wondering if I try to go back to work part time will I have to start all over again if it does not work out? I have to talk to my boss tomorrow and I do not know if I should tell him I need to take the rest of my FMLA time ( another 6 weeks ) or work part time and save my FMLA by spreading it out.

I am also going to apply for early disabilty retirement but they already told me I can do it while working a limited amount of hours.

I hope I explained this question OK...just typing it has confused me ?!
    JMQ
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

wow ... good ? hun. It is clearly stated and makes sense.
    I am also on STD and have to be on it for 26 weeks!!! before I can apply for my LTD and SSDI. It is my understanding that if I go back (period ... one day even) that it will negate the time and I have to start all over again. So I have to keep reapplying for extensions to the STD. I am going to talk to the STD lady tomorrow to inform her about my rheumy visit. I will ask her that. But bear in mind all companies have different policies.
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I was able to work part time and use my employer's Short-Term Disability on an hourly basis until I ran out. At that point I was a wreck anyway and couldn't possibly work, so it turned out fine.

My employer self-insured and ran the STD plan, so that gave me a bit more leeway. No third-party insurance company was involved.

4. jmq

jmq New Member

I do not know what I would do without all of you. I do not have STD so I am out right now without pay...so that is why I was hoping I could at least work enough hours to cover my insurance premiums and earn work credits toward my retirement until I get some relief from the LTD. I tried reading the disability handbood and got an immediate headache. Not even my dear hubby could find the answer in the book. I guess they do not want us to understand it..and give up.

Thanks again and I hope to hear from others with this experience :)

jmq
  5. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Correct -- they do not want you to understand. I worked at a big state university and they made it impossible to understand anything or get questions answered without telling them something first, if you know what I mean. I even sent away for a copy of the actual agreement between the university and the private insurance company and learned nothing about my rights.

Ug, I feel for you . . .I was there a couple of years ago. But I think you are right to be aware that they don't want you to know or understand and that everything is written in legalese to somehow let them squirm out of anything.

Perservere although it will make you feel ten times sicker, sadly. I think I've permanently ruined my health dealing with "the system" these past three years. Try to do what has to be done and not let it make you sicker. Hard assignment . . .

Good luck.
  6. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi jmq
    in my experience, and this was with the dreaded "U", they used my last day of regular FT employment and the 13 days i had scattered in after that was deducted, but the first 6 wks or so was NOT eliminated.
    HOWEVER--everyone is different, i would have your human resources dept. research it and get it in writing for you, they are always so congenial with the people that pay the premiums, don't want to make themselves look bad, so this could help.
    good luck--L
  7. Engel

Engel New Member

"they" sure don't want you to understand it ... lol
  8. mezombie

mezombie Member

My LTD plan clearly stated that the elimination period was "90 days or expiration of company provided disability leave benefits, whichever is greater."

Do you have a copy of the booklet usually given out to employees? It's not the actual "Plan", but it supposed to be written in english.

I think it would be worthwhile to sit down with someone in HR and see if they can help you. It seems to come down to whether you will endanger your LTD benefits by working, or whether you will jeopardize your retirement benefits by not working.

If you have time, check out disabiltiyinsuranceforums dot com. It's a great resource for questions like yours.
  9. jmq

jmq New Member

I can always count on all of you. I checked out the disablity site that mezombie suggested and found it to be one of the best sites on LTD I have seen so far. The more you search around on it the better it gets. Thank you for once again sharing such valuable information.

Luv all of ya,
    jmq
  10. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I have LTD through my work and would suggest you talk to your HR person (if LTD provided through work) as well as getting both the LTD book provided to employees and the actual policy (it shouldn't be too long - lawyer told me - and mine was about 20 pages).

My policy allowed time worked before a failed work trial to be counted toward elimination period.

Also take into account that some LTD companies base the amount you get from them on the amount you worked just prior to being disabled. So, in my case, if I had tried to work part-time instead of going from full-time to totally disabled, my benefits could potentially be less.

In any case, the above were moot points as I was too sick to go back to work once I got sick.