Long Term Fibro Additional Problems Newbie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tenbear2808, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Tenbear2808

Tenbear2808 New Member

Hi I am a newbie here, and I am glad to have a place to ask questions.

I've had FM for a long time, and the questions are directed to those who've suffered for a long time.

Have you found other things going wrong with your body? I've started having red tender bumps crop up and then after a while go away. They vary in size and placement although it appears they might follow never paths.

My feet and hands will swell and get very tender and more often then not I find them itching but it is not an allergic reation because even with Dr.s meds for that it doesnt help, and I've notice that the skin only itchs when it swells.

Have many FM patients had pains in their legs when growing up sometimes called "growing pains"

And are FM and CFS related?

Are there any additional things that have happened to others not listed but perhaps I should look for or know about?

Thank everyone in advance for any answers they can give me. I am immensely grateful!

Tenbear
  2. dellie

dellie New Member

3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I don't want to sound like a downer.. but I think fibromyalgia is prgressive .. I was dx about 4 years ago and I have more things going wrong ..
    I'm proactive in my health care .. on my own and with my GP for whom I am very grateful for all she has done for me.
    I take supplements .. yoga .. and when I can manage get on the treadmill for walking .. I'm a garden fanatic as well and do far too much at times .. but it is my passion.
    BUT .. I know I am worse than I was a few years ago .. I have more pain and more often .. plus the nerves in my feet and hands are becoming a problem, it started with burning of the soles of my feet .. then tingling .. then something like an electrical current running along my right foot, not painful but very annoying and uncomfortable .. I'm having a nerve conduction test on Monday and I'm anxious about it all.
    I know my other problems contribute to it all .. I have Hashimoto's thyroid .. "hypothyroid" .. mitral valve prolapse .. tinittus ..
    NO one I have heard of yet .. has fibromyalgia alone .. there are other "tag along" conditions/problems ..
    What I'm trying to say is in my case ( because I know my own condition best ) .. things are worse and I'm working harder to try and stay on top of it all.
    I hope this doesn't scare you .. but I would rather be honest and realistic when some one asks a question .. this is only from my own experience though.
    Good Luck !
    Joy
  4. janieb

janieb New Member

I'm 62 and have been diagnosed with fibro and chronic fatigue for about 15 years. The only thing I found that I could do and they recommended was pain medication.

Until 2 years ago I worked and had others to take care of. I went for early retirement because by the time I was 50, I knew I wasn't going to be able to work past 60.

My fibro has been progressive. In addition, a few years ago I was diagnosed with Ehler's or hyperflexibility.

A few months ago a friend gave me a copy of a book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by Dr. St. Armand. Most everything that is wrong with me was listed in his book, except that I'm not hypoglycemic? My 25 year old niece has all of the above, also.

After reading and re-reading the book, I found a doctor in our area who was familiar with the protocol and willing to work with me. I had my first reversal recently and I'm excited about the one very good day I had. It will take a long time for my system to become normal, but I feel there's now hope.

We have lots of people on this board who have experience and they can give you good advice. If you find you're interested in trying this, put "guai ladies" in your title line. They've been immensely helpful to me.

Good luck and Blessings,

janieb
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

Yea,...
    I get alot of weird new symptoms too.
    I was DX with Fibro 12 yrs ago or so.(after 2 yrs and 5 drs.)
    I get the red small bumps on my knuckles,that appear and disapear all the time. They are sore too,.... my doc. thinks early osteo. or RA.
    I swell sometimes too or feel like I'm holding in excess water or something?? sometimes I'll notice it starting to happen and I'll take my rings off my fingers.
    Cause they have gotten so swollen before that my rings were almost cutting into me. My feet swell too.
    Seems worse when I'm over doing it, which does'nt take alot.
    Just thought of it too,...my palms turn red at times??? weird.

Yes,..I have always remembered feeling pain in my legs.
    They'd ache all the time. Its never gone away.
    I'm in my 40's and my legs are horribly sore.

Many people DO think that CF and FM are the same illness. ??? They share many same symptoms.
    I guess with Fibro the most prominent symptom is pain. whereas with CF the main symptom is Fatigue.
    I have both to extremes, yet have'nt been DX with CF.
    (I think I have it tho)

I truely only feel ok for 2 hrs after a full nights sleep,...and I'm tired again!!
    I NEED a nap everyday~
    I hope I've answered everything?
    please forgive if I have'nt. My mind is foggy alot too.
    My memory and body is that of a 80 yr old.
    well,...ok 77 :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
    adding: I notice small lumps in my upperarms to. they are very tender and come & go.
    along side of my legs I can feel areas that feel bruised to touch,...yet look fine.
    I have a elevated sed rate alot too which indicates inflammation.
    (Wow! I'm pooped out!) LOL
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

TenBear:

I think as we get older these things happen to us in general.
    However: I would not rule out Fibro.
    It would be good to set an appointment to the doc ASAP and get it checked.

Very best of health to you...and welcome....

nyrofan
  7. Tenbear2808

Tenbear2808 New Member

I just want to thank everyone that replied.

I most closely relate to Tandy. I have been to the Dr. and she didnt know what to do either.

She semi-retired and now I have another Dr. that I have to work with, which means you start all over again to some degree. Fortunately, he believes in FM.

I am on 100 Fentanyl patches and Morphine for breakthrough.

In 1974, I was diagnosed with Chron's, but as a child I had severe pains in my legs and then when all the swelling in extremeties started and then these bumps (yeah, tandy, red and painful and they then go away, generally located on my fingers it recently spread to other areas)

My muscles are like mush from lack of exercise.

All this leads me to believe there is something more going on and I wondered how much is related to FM.

And although I understand FM is nonprogressive I wonder if someother underlying cause triggers it, and perhaps there are different types or stages of it.

I just read today where there has now been an actual death from CF and I noticed how much the symptoms of FM resemble FM. I have the fatigue of CF and I have the gene that causes the majority of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I was just wondering what all this meant and how FM affected long term people.

It's amazing how different it seems for everyone.

Thanks again for all your input, I appreciate it.

God Bless all, Tenbear
  8. Tenbear2808

Tenbear2808 New Member

I am not familiar with this condition or the massage. But the burning feet sounds familiar. I would appreciate hearing more about it.

BTW, I seem to keep relying to myself, how does one go about replying to the people who have answered, individually?

Thank you, Tenbear
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

hayleycole !

Thank you so much for the information ! .. I have to say I am anxious about this test .. I just want it out of the way now and try what you are suggesting ..

I think I have myafascial pain in the back of my neck .. it has been awful for a few years now .. burning .. throbbing .. if it wasn't for the gel ice packs I use at night I don't think I could survive it .. these packs are at Walmart and I rotate 6 of them in the freezer ..phew !
    Wish I could strap them on my feet too ! haha

In any case .. now I have something to try if they find nothing comes up with the test, which I hope is the case .. so I want to thank you for the information and advice !

Tenderbear .. your reply will go to the bottom of the thread .. just add the persons name to whom you are replying to !

Joy : )
  10. lil45

lil45 New Member

Hi Tenbear,

I to have these red bumps that are painful, i get them on my scalp. My doctor has checked these and said they are nothing to worry about,

louise
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thanks again hayley .. once I get this test out of the way I'm going to be able to concentrate better on the trigger point information.
    I do yoga and it does help .. but this monster in the back of my neck is relentless .. the gel ice packs save my sanity .. or what is left of it at least ? for now ..
    I appreciate the information very much !
    Joy : )