Long Time, No Post

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sorry to have been MIA but a virus embedded in an e-mail crashed my old PC. Even my wi-fi went down. After many attempts to fix it, I bought a new laptop. I also bought a new router and modem. Couldn't get the wi-fi up and running. Finally, I swapped out my old modem and it is now working. The new modem is flawed. I'm going to return it. I don't know which I did more of, praying or swearing :)

The new wi-fi network is more protected, as is my computer, so it shouldn't be as vulnerable as the old one. This was not a forwarded e-mail and I couldn't tell it contained an animated Christmas card carrying a virus. This was from a friend who did this once before. I had asked her not to send me any more things like that. The Christmas card carried a political/religious message, along with the virus. It just isn't safe to download things like that to send out. For all I know, someone sent her the virus which sent this card to everyone in her address book. It saddens me that I don't think I can open her e-mails, even with my new super-duper virus protection.

I've missed y'all, Dear Friends, and am glad to be back. Hope everyone is well.

Love, Mikie
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Glad to see ya back. Wow, those viruses must be getting reallly stronger, eh? What a shame. I'm on several yahoo lists, there are always odd posts for different things that have nothing to do with th point of the forum. I think everyone has now learned to ignore them (I hope). 1-2 years ago that wasn't happening so much, or at least as much as now.

Well, maybe now with a new computer you can do things better/faster/? Like download movies at least...? LOL.

Hope the cold didn't get down to you. We still have a lot of snow/ice on the ground. My daughter's work place in N. Atlanta was closed through yesterday, but she didn't even go in today because the roads still have a lot of black ice.

Hope the kids are ok in Atlanta and didn't lose any power. Thankfully it stayed on in Athens.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good to hear from you. Yes, my new laptop is a dream. Both my old computers were on their last legs and I needed a new one anyway.

Vic, are you in Athens? School was closed for five days in Atlanta. J is going nuts trying to keep Andy entertained. He's a hyper five year old. Hope your weather is good wherever you are right now.

Diane, it has been cold (for us FL wimps) down here. I have been waiting to plant flowers until today. I usually have them in long before now. It finally warmed up this afternoon and it's supposed to be in the 70's for the week. We put up with the heat and humidity all summer just waiiting for the beautiful winter weather and if it doesn't show, we are disappointed. We are so spoiled.

I had to stop at Target for an Rx and bought some long yoga pants in black with a matching Hoodie. Both were on sale. I needed some more warm weather wear.

Take care.

Love, Mikie
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are back and doing well. We have been having crazy weather too but when it has been really cold we didn;pt get the humidlity with it. So, no SNOW!! Sorry to hear about your computer problems and all. I know how frustrating that can be. Some time ago , before we bought this new laptop computer, I think a virus killed our computer too and I lost alot of files, especially my Family Tree Maker. Now I have put alot of it in by hand in another FTM I got.

I am so frustrated with that I haven't gone back to my genealogy is some time. I need to make some kind of order in all the books I have with scarttered info, and some duplicate also. I need to make a booklet of some kind that people can actually understand that doesn't take up so much space. I had written up some good stuff and it all went -POOF!

Glad you got yourself some good buys to keep you warm. Speaking of WIMPS - I am another one of those who came years ago from New York where I had lived all my life. Of course the FM and OA I have does not help. I am as stiff as a board.

Bye for now. Stay warm kiddo.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Granni, I'm so sorry you lost all that data. I had stuff backed up on a flash drive. I knew my PC had been hit in the past, so I was careful. This bad weather is hard on my OA too. It's strange, though, that ever since this flare of whatever-it-is (Sjorgen's ?) started up, my FMS is actually improved (knocking on wood :) It's kinda like I traded in one syndrome for another. I had my life running pretty well until this turned everything upside down. I'm still seeing docs and figure it will be some time, maybe never, before we figure out what it is.

Kina, as mentioned above, I had saved my important docs, pics and music, so I didn't lose anything. I redid my hard drive with the Windows disc and it works fine but will not hook up to the new wi-fi network, even with the cable. It's sooooo old and cumbersome that I'm going to get rid of it. My old laptop won't hook up wirelessly but it does with the cable, so I'm keeping it in place of the PC. I think I'll even hook up the keyboard and mouse to it and use it as my workhorse computer. I love haviing the new laptop in the livingroom so I can use it while I watch my new TV (the old one crapped out recently). I think I'm cursed!! With the new computers, you get no Windows rescue discs and I have too make my own. I also have to install the Window Works Office; they new computers don't come loaded with anything any more. It's just getting to it. I'm so burned out working on computers that I need a break.

Julie, it's usually so warm down here that we live in shorts, tee shirts and sandals. This cold weather caught us short of warmer things. One thing I love about the long slightly flared yoga pants is that you can dress them up with nice tops and no one knows you aren't wearing nice knit pants. When I go up to Atlanta to visit my kids, I take them and they don't wrinkle. They pack beautifully.

As a result of living in a 16-year-old condo, I've had to replace most of my appliances and the A/C. Now, due to the curse, I've had to buy a new TV and laptop. Well, the curse can be a good thing too. I am enjoying tapping away here while watching New England play the Giants in widescreen HD. I've always believed in making the lemonade with the lemons that life throws at us.

Good talking with you all. And it is GREAT to be back!

Love, Mikie
  6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have so many trojans in quarantine, how do I get rid of them? My son said to put it in restore mode or whatever, I did that, now I have more trojans. He said if they are quarantined it's ok, but more keep appearing. He's in IT.
    Welcome back, Mikie![This Message was Edited on 01/16/2011]
  7. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have heard of Trojans for a long time but don't know what they are except they are BAD. My comp. has been doing OK recently bvut must'nt speak too soon. That might bring bad luck.

Glad that you are back, Mickie.

My snowbird friends come back in the spring and NEVER say that they had any cool weather.!! But whatever you have, it is so much better than snow and horrible cold!

Glad to talk to you,

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Kelly, when I used to do scans, it gave me a choice to quarantine the viruses or remove them. I always chose to remove them. I think when the antiviral software does its automatic scan, it quarantines the viruses. Ask your son what you should do. I hope it is OK. I'm using an antiviral called, CA, which the techies recommend. It doesn't slow down the computer like Norton and McAfee, which are always running in the background. It is also supposed to be really good. I hope so. Good luck to you.

Lila, it's all a matter of how one has acclimated. When one lives up North, FL always seems warm. For us, though, when it drops down into the 60's, we feel it's cool. We have become wimps. It can drop down into the 40's, or even 30's, at night and that makes the mornings and evenings cold. We laugh when we see people in the pool when we think it's cold. We always say, "Hmmm, must be Yankees."

Good talking with you. Take care.

Love, Mikie