Long Time Use of AntiAnxiety Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 19, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been on xanax over five years now and concerned about the long term use of the drug..Even though my dosages is 1 to 3/4 mg a day it still concerns me..Yet I would be non functional without it..

My doctor has no problem with it but I feel that is just to keep me off her back..In fact she suggest I take my prescribed dose which is .05 during the day twice if needed and then 1 mg at bedtime..

Just wondering if any of you have been on anti-anxiety meds long term and if this is a concern...I can't tolerate AD's...

Thanks,
    greatgran

2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I say take 'em! As long as they help and you can get a prescription, take them! Why would you even consider stopping them when they help you so much?

When I was in college in the late 50s and 60s I had a horrid panic attack, then another one that left me curled up in a ball during the time my mother was dying. My old family doctor prescribed 10 mgs of Librium every four hours and I took it. We didn't worry then about dependance or addiction, I just took them and felt human again.

After a lot of years I decided I didn't need that many so I cut back to one a day, then just quit them. No problems with withdrawl or increased anxiety at all. I don't know why Librium isn't prescribed much now because it's so helpful but one doctor I asked about it made a face and shook her head. Well, it sure saved my bacon when I was in my twenties!

I say take what you need to live a quality life, especially at our ages. Stay away from stimulants too, or at least that helps me.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006]
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I had a friend that was on a low dose of Xanax for 15 years. She did not have any problems.
  4. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I've taken Xanax every night for almost 9 years. I'm still breathing! Seriously - there are so few things that help us with the CFS/anxiety that I really don't think you need to worry about taking Xanax long term. The way I see it it makes life bearable for us and lets us function. Consider the alternative - worse days and nights and even less productivity and that alone should help you to stop worrying about it.

Harrysmom
  5. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I agree with the other posters. If it helps you then by all means take it. As long as you dont see yourself developing any symtoms of addiction to it then I wouldnt worry about it if it helps you.

I have been on Xanax 1 mg 3 times a day for at least 8 years (maybe longer, cant remember) and it helps me alot. I would never dream of stopping it.

Good luck to you
  6. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hey GreatGran,

In my opinion, if it helps, then why not take it?? I have been taking .05mg of xanax before bed for the past 4 years, and could not sleep without it (because of the CFS/FMS sleep disorder)!! In fact, I have not had to 'take a higher dose' either!! It is my saviour!

My motto is 'if you are not abusing it, then use it'.

hugs Dove.
  7. baanders

baanders New Member

I was told by an ER doctor that Klonopin (clonazepam) helps with pain. I've been taking it for about 3-4 years. I know, I hate taking drugs too. BTW, I just started taking Zango juice (look on internet)...it can take up to a month to take away the pain and fatigue. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Baanders
  8. Vette

Vette New Member

Hi GreatGran, this middle aged Mammy has been on Xanax .5mg (same as 1/2 mg) since '88 or '89. I've had dose changes a few times over those years, I have anxiety disorder and have since childhood. Since my illness began with mold exposure, then to FM/CFS 6 years ago I have been on it routinely instead of PRN (as needed). The dose on mine is .75mg ( 1 1/2 tabs) four times a day. I have cut it back a little on my own (am still a licensed Nurse & old Pharmacy Tech). I have withdrawal symptoms when I cut my dose back for a couple weeks. I'm not a clock watching Xanax taker, but it is physically addictive, I would just like at this point to get back to PRN "if I can", if not that's fine too. When I have exacerbations of my CFS it is alot more difficult as some of those symptoms mimic anxiety and fool me. If your good on it.........leave it alone and certainly don't follow my lead and cut back on it yourself, I know how and what to do and have my Doctor's trust and support due to my work history. Peace to You!!
    Vette
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

At least you recognize that you would be non-functional without it, that's so very important.

Why then do you question it's long term effects?

Please just consider yourself lucky to have found something that works for you, increases your daily ability to function and is ok with your doc.

How I wish we could find something that works for my daughter....

Hugs,

Nancy B
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I take .5 mg. 3 x a day and I don't worry at all about it. I have no problems with it and my doctor doesn't have any problems giving me refills for that amount since I have not had to increase my meds in the 9 years I have been taking it.

I also take Prozac and that helps my FMS as well.

Hugs,
    Faye
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I woke up from having my hyester and informed the nurse that I was getting the He#$ out of there and needed there help and I was so paniced that I was out of control and right then and there I was given my first dose of it and I started out on .05 x2 daily.

I went to a pain doctor who likes to be in charge of all my meds so he prescribes it now. AT this point I have been on Xanax for just over 16 years. And I am on 1 mg x2 daily . I take 1 am and 1 pm so that is 2 mgs a day and I have been on this dose for over a year. And some times I don't take it as much as I should .

This summer I have been taking care of my Mom alot and I have spaced taking my Xanax off so I now have more than I need for a month. But I have not had any bad side effects so I may ask my doctor to lower it back to the .05 2 times a day.

But as far as being on it , I have been told that I still am on a low dose of it and it does help me with the panic attacks that I do have and I don't have them as often as I did.

But sometimes the pain gets to me and it will not go away and I will panic because of this never ending pain.

But if your doctor says that it is ok your doing fine.
    HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  12. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

I have been on a fairly high dose of Xanax for about 4 years now. I take 4 mgs. a day. I don't see myself coming off of it anytime too soon due to the fact that I suffered from extremely bad panic attacks/anxiety. I have mentioned coming off of it a few times to my doctor but as he said, the anxiety and panic attacks would most likely come back if I were to stop it. My Mom has been on it for 11 years.
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your replies and most helpful input on my long term use of xanax...

I just wish the good about it would come out instead of the bad reputation it has..

So, again thanks to you. I have been taking my regular dose without the quilt, fear and what if's..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  14. missourilady

missourilady New Member

I took it for a long time, too. And my dose was about like yours. I just got to where I didn't want to be on drugs any more because they were messing my mind up. I would rather put up with the pain. But my pain is no where near as bad as a lot of people on this board.

You still need to go off very, very slowly.

And I did that and I am just fine now - but I did have side effects from withdrawal for a long time - several months.
  15. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

My physcharist and reumy told me every time we have panic attacks that it kills brain cells. So take it!! Mine are adamant about it.
  16. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I took Xanax for 5 years. When I desided I was fine without them I stopped. No problems at all. Not addictive as some want to say (docs).