Longterm diflucan use ok with abx?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brainfoggy, Sep 3, 2008.

1. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

Hi all

My CFS doc was liberally prescribing me diflucan for months and months (took it for 7 months every day)before I got a lyme diagnosis.

Now that I'm on high doses of abx the yeast is out of control again despite candida diet and herbals, probiotics and I have been cheating and taking diflucan although my LLMD advised against this.

Is taking diflucan long-term more harmful than good? Is it potentially screwing up my liver coupled with the abx? I haven't had my enzymes checked yet.

Thank you
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I think problem with taking diflucan long term is the yeast get resistant to it. There is a supplement called saccharomyces boulardi which is actually a yeast/probiotic which is good for us and competes with candida yeast and is also reccomended to use with antibiotics to help avoid gut problems with abx like yeast and gastritis, diarrhoea etc. Dont use antifungals with saccharomyces as it reduces its effect.
    I would consider nystatin for a month with probiotics then switch to saccharomyces.
    Google saccharomyces boulardii for your own research before you make your mind up on it.
    good luck
  3. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

Thank you, yes I'm already taking the florastar which is the probiotic you mentioned.

I might consider nystatin too.