LongTerm Disbility Approved

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nina_and_me, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. nina_and_me

    nina_and_me New Member

    I've been out of work since late June of 2007, and I first applied for long-term disability in August 2007. HR gave me the wrong forms - ALL the doctors filled them in, and in October, I learned they were worthless. Finally, I got the right forms, got the doctors to fill out papers again, and by the time I got it all together, it was almost Christmas...so the disability company was working with a skeleton crew.

    In February, the LTD company needed me to complete more forms...okay...done. In April, they needed more forms from my social worker before they would make a decision. They had all my medical records from four health-care providers, but they needed my SW to answer three detailed questions before they could proceed.

    I just found out Friday that I was approved!! I was so shocked, I walked around in a daze all day. They're backpaying me from December (there's a six-month waiting period for LTD), and my check is on its way!

    I'm living at my mom's temporarily, and I should be out soon. I sold my house six weeks ago, and the closing is next week...I have a lot of equity in the house, and that should buy me an older smaller home out in the booneys. The back disability will pay for the fence my dog will need when I move in.

    I just don't think it's quite hit me yet. I'm going to have a life - I can work on myself, my health, and I can set some goals. Maybe when the check comes, it will feel real. I just wanted to share the news with all my friends here on the board!

  2. marti_zavala

    marti_zavala Member

    Good for you. I was the same, I had several people read the letter that came in the mail. "Is this what it is saying".. LOL

    Great job in sticking with it, all the forms and such gets to be quite a burden.

    Just a quick note to forewarn you, LTD companies are infamous for pulling tricks especially around the 2 year mark.

    I suggest that you join disinissues to learn how to protect your benefits in advance. But you have some time to get settled in and focus on your health.

  3. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    Wow that is great, CONGRATS!
  4. campbeck97

    campbeck97 New Member

    So happy to hear your good news and what a relief it must be to you. Relax and do something special for yourself, you certainly deserve it!! I'm still waiting to hear anything-went before Judge back in March and still havent heard a word its been well over three years since I filed. But surely soon they will notify me whether or not I won my case. Blessings to you and Im so happy for you.
  5. nina_and_me

    nina_and_me New Member

    Thanks you guys! It's 4:00 in the morning, but I couldn't sleep because I think it's finally starting to sink in. I just can't believe I won after almost a year.

    Thanks for the heads up about the two-year mark.

    I'm just so thankful for some time to worry about my health, not my finances, not work, not my boss. I can work on what I need to do to get better or at least gain some ground in this fight against FM. The tension in my body is just melting away right now.


  6. buttercakes

    buttercakes New Member

    Would you mind telling who your company is? Id like to try, but am scared. Sandie
  7. deb_46

    deb_46 New Member

    Yeah!! Another one with good news. Hope the trend continues, my ALJ hearing is this Friday. Congrats, I know it must be such a relief, enjoy your peace now.

  8. sadie101

    sadie101 New Member

    that is so great!!! wishing you more good luck with your health!!

  9. nina_and_me

    nina_and_me New Member

    Hi Sandie!

    I think you're asking me what insurance company carried my disability policy - it's Lincoln Financial. It was part of the benefits package that I receieved while I worked from Sept 2003 until I shut down in late June 2007.

  10. nina_and_me

    nina_and_me New Member

    Thanks to all of you for your messages! I hope I didn't leave anyone's name out. If I did, I'm sorry - please know that it was not intentional.

    I have not received a report from the insurance company as to how they made their decision. They looked at the doctor who treats FM, took his written report, and that was it - same for my PCP who treats hypertension. My psychiatrist had to fill out extensive paperwork, and my social worker had to basically write an essay explaining that a sedentary job just won't do the trick.

    I'm in pain so much of the time, I can't concentrate, I have insomnia, which makes me even more exhausted than I already am during the day.

    Indications, from my perspective, are that they based their decision on depression, anxiety disorder with phobias, panic attacks, and PTSD.

    I disagree - I have been trying to deal with the above emotional issues since college, and I graduated from college, held down a regular full-time job until the spring of 1997 when I got mono for the second time in my life. I just never seemed to rebound from that. I started getting migraines, I needed a carpal tunnel release, and the depression worsened.

    This time, it looks like the disability is permanent. My FM doc, my pdoc, and my social worker do not think that I could hold down a full-time job.

    I just had to face reality - I can't work full-time like I used to. But, there are many things I can do to rechannel my energy.

    Thanks to All!
  11. jaded_lady

    jaded_lady New Member

    How far out in the boonies are you going to move?

    Don't get to far away from help or civiliazation (Dr's, groceries).

    May I ask why your name is nina_and_me?

    And is your Calico mute, as in she doesn't meow?

    I have a Calico I call my mute. She can meow, she doesn't very often (accidently locked in a closet, or while she is playing my herself.

    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2008]
  12. nina_and_me

    nina_and_me New Member


    I'm not going to be too far from civilization. If all goes well and I get a place where I'd like, I will be about six miles from the nearest superstore and pharmacy. I would need to go into the "city" to see doctors, and that's about 20 miles out.

    When I was driving to and from work, it was 17 miles each way, and it was a hard drive because traffic is so bad during the morning and evening "rush hours". If I only go in to town once a week, during the day, to see my therapist, it shouldn't be too bad.

    My screen name is nina_and_me, and the reason I chose it is pretty difficult to explain without sounding totally crazy. It just reminds me that I'm never alone.

    My cat is called a "muted calico" because of her coloring. I didn't know it until I took her to the vet - when I called during the day to check on her, they asked me if she was the "cute muted calico". I told them that she was tan, gray, and white, which the assistant said was a muted calico - she's got the same varied pattern that calico cats have, but instead of black, brown, and white, she's tan, gray, and white. In fact, one ear is tan and one is gray. At times, I've wished she were mute (as in unable to meow - she is loud), but only when she wakes me up. I love her.

    I hope you're doing well today.

  13. nina_and_me

    nina_and_me New Member


    I know getting disability is difficult for most of the people on this board, and I feel very, very fortunate to have it, even though it took almost a year. I know many people on this board have waited many years and needed an attorney to get disability.

    Honestly, I think that if they had evaluated this claim on the basis of fibro alone, the claim would have been denied. When they sent me additional paperwork in February, the company did not want to know about my pain levels - they were only interested in my psychological condition.

    I believe that the primary reason I can't work is the fibro - I've been depressed for many years, but before fibro, I didn't have trouble sitting at my desk and concentrating or just staying awake. I won perfect attendance awards before that second bout with mono, but after that, it was just downhill.

    I have not applied for SSDI. I did not know that I needed to - I thought the insurance company would do that, but dealing with them has been a nightmare, and I don't want to trust them to successfully help me with SSDI. I am so glad that you posted to let me know that I need to do that.

    I will get a disability lawyer if SSDI is denied, because I need to be on SSDI in order to be eligible for Medicare. I'm on COBRA now, but that only lasts two years.

    Thank you so much for letting me know about applying for SSDI. I will apply as quickly as I can.

  14. jaded_lady

    jaded_lady New Member


    You aren't alone.

    I almost joked and asked if it was a multiple personality thing!!

    I was afraid the answer would be yes, and you would be offended!

    You will be a perferct distance from town!!
  15. marti_zavala

    marti_zavala Member

    Please refer to the sticky area at the top of each page. There are some good resources to make sure your SSDI application will go smoothly.

    Don't trust your LTD company, they are sneaky. Also, Medicare may be cheaper than COBRA, currently it is $93.50 for A, B and D (hospital, doctors, and prescritions).

    You still pay for prescriptions but it is less than otherwise.

    Most people get denied twice before going to the hearing where most people are approved. I wonder if it would go faster for you since you already have LTD. I hope so. There is a wonderful group called disinissues on yahoo. They are great and could help you when it is time.

    At least now, you can get situated.

    Again, congratulations.
  16. nina_and_me

    nina_and_me New Member


    Thank you again for your help. I paid COBRA for over four months when I first stopped working - over $300 per month, so $93.50 sounds good! Anyway, about the COBRA, the lady who runs the disability department told me the amount, and I called her in January because she said the amount might change at the new year. I couldn't get in touch with her for weeks. Finally, I talked to someone else who said that I shouldn't be paying COBRA until my disability is approved or I have been out of work for a year. I don't know what's going on with that. I have the cancelled checks, so if I overpaid them, I'll straighten it out.

    I was on social security disability before. In July 2002, I was struggling with severe mental health issues. The fibro had started, but wasn't severe and it wasn't diagnosed. The LTD company paid Allsup to apply for social security for me in July 2003, and they won on the first try - I got a check and a letter in August 2003. Most of the money went to reimburse the LTD company. I never even had to leave my house or fill out papers. I didn't go to court or talk to a judge. Allsup did a very long phone interview, transcribed my answers to the questions on the disability forms, and sent them to me so that I could sign them. No one was more surprised than I was to learn I was approved.

    I told the LTD company that I was planning to start working somewhere else, and I found out I was approved for disability two weeks before I started working again. I thought I was better, and for awhile, I was. Things went from bad to worse when the fibro hit in a big way. I will regret returning to work after being approved for SSDI forever.

    I'll look at the disinissues group. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to applying for SSDI. I will never trust that LTD company. They have lied to me, and I believe they deliberately delayed processing some of the paperwork.

    My mom drove out to the area where I want to live, and she found two possibilities on the first day. It's just so hard for me to drive and leave the house - even when I need to. She's going to take my sister and brother-in-law, who she's staying with, to see the properties on the weekend, and they'll take some pictures and e-mail them to me then.

    Thanks for all the information and suppport.

  17. gapsych

    gapsych New Member

    I bet that is a load off your back.

    And getting a new house.

    Hope these positive things continue.

    Take care,


[ advertisement ]