Look for Good Doctor in Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MyOuch, Jun 17, 2007.

1. MyOuch

MyOuch New Member

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this board and I am looking for a doctor who specialize in Fibro in the Virginia Beach, VA area or in the Hampton Roads area...........

I had to get rid of the doctor i have now because he threw up his hands and told me he can't help me any longer because i'm very hard to treat! OLOLOLOL can you believe that????

I'm so bad now I can hardly get out of bed anymore!
  2. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

Can't help you but hopefully someone can...
  3. MyOuch

MyOuch New Member

well i'm in so much pain i could cry
  4. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

Here's Co-Cure's list of FMS/CFIDS docs in VA. One of them is in Virginia Beach.

Aldie, VA
    Norman Levin, M.D.
    39070 John Mosly Hwy.
    Aldie, VA 22001
    Tel: (703) 260-3484
    (Internal Medicine, Rheumatology, Nutritional Medicine)

Alexandria, VA
    Celeste Campbell, Psy.D.
    211 N. Union Street, Suite 100
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 519-2188
    E-Mail: cilcamp@netzero.com]
    ("I was referred to this Neuropsychologist for the battery of 12 tests needed for CFIDS. I found her to be warm, friendly and knowledgable. Her report was concise and to the point and was what I needed to help with my SSDI.")

Arlington, VA
    Dr. Alan Terlinsky
    611 S Carlin Springs Rd.
    Suite 411
    Arlington, VA 22204-1064
    Tel: (703) 379-7110
    Web site: www.functionalmd.com
    ("Dr. Terlinsky really helped me with my digestive problems (IBS). He's very knowledgeable in functional and integrative medicine; has experience and programs addressing weight-control, nutrition, and hormonal issues as well.")

Portsmouth , VA
    Stephen E. Plotnick, M.D.
    Board Certified Rheumatologist
    500 Rodman Ave. Suite 1
    Portsmouth, VA 23707
    Tel: (757) 393-3430
    (FMS. "He is very knowledgable about FMS.")

Reston, VA
    Dr. Samuel Shor
    1760 Reston Parkway
    Reston, VA 20190
    Tel: 703-709-1119
    ("I can't say enough good things about him. Dr. Shor is an internist who specializes in the treatment of CFIDS and FM. He is knowledgeable, thorough, and very easy to work with.")

Virginia Beach, VA
    Stephen E. Plotnick, M.D.
    Board Certified Rheumatologist
    1821 Old Donation Pky.
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Tel: (757) 412-1048
    (FMS. "New patients may have to wait a while to get an appointment, but it's well worth the wait.")

Weyers Cave, VA
    Bart W. Balint, M.D., D.A.B.A.
    Balint Pain Management Center
    Weyers Cave Clinic
    447 Weyers Cave Road, Suite 101
    Weyers Cave, Virginia 24486
    Tel: (540) 234-0080
    FAX: (540) 234-8688
    E-Mail: dr.b@balintpainmanagement.com
    Web site: www.balintpainmanagement.com
    (Note: Self-referred to the list.)
  5. MyOuch

MyOuch New Member

I thank you for the list......I wish I could go to Dr. Plotnick.......because i heard he's fantastic. the problem is he does NOT take Cigna Insurance and that's what I got. Cigna and i can't afford to go to him without insurance. sigh
  6. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

There's a Dr. Rigden here who specializes in CFIDS/FM, but he doesn't take Cigna, which I also have. There's a FANTASTIC rheumy named Dr. Silverman who DOES take Cigna, but isn't accepting new patients! I've got a couple more calls to make, but I've had no luck so far. I know how you feel. Good luck. :-(
  7. MyOuch

MyOuch New Member

I'm not doing good at all...........I just hurt so bad and I'm on absolutely NOTHING for this since this doctor took me off humira..........i guess it must have worked somewhat but i have glaucoma and it damaged my optic nerve taking it.

I'm suppose to go to the movies with my husband to see the pirate movie, three hours long, i'll probably need an ambulance to get me out of the seat! and that's IF i don't fall asleep snoring because that's all I do anymore is sleep.
  8. vbjess

vbjess New Member

I just got back from Plotnick's office this morning.

As of June 1, 2007, they are not accepting insurance at all. The office told me that the insurance companies were not reimbursing him enough. I talked to my insurance company and they told me that when a doctor agrees to accept insurance, they make an agreement with the insurance company as to how much money they'll be reimbursed. So, he knew how much he was going to be making when he started accepting insurance in the first place.

I'm angry because nobody told me about the change until they told me the bill for today would be $145. I've spent the greater part of the day looking for fibro doctors that take my insurance. So far, no luck. :-(

I'll let you know if I dig anybody up.

9. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

How awful that dr. Plotnik does not accept insurance! We are all doomed.
    As an alternative, I know a very good psychiatrist though Dr. Plotnik is great. Dr. Charles Parker does not subscribe to the theory "it's all in your head" and he does a lot of alternative medicine, hormone imbalance, advanced lab tests. He is very up-to-date, no-nonsense person which is rather unusual in a psychiatrist. You can look up his website "corepsych" I think, it is called. However I am not sure about the insurance. There was also nice female Dr. but I can't think of her name right now. If I dig it up I will post for you.
    There is FM/CFS support group for our the Southside; they usually know a lot about doctors. They were my prime resource as far as finding local doctors.
  10. Bratlyn

Bratlyn New Member

After reading your message.... what did you come up with?
    My Podiatrist said he'd recommend someone for me, but when he realized it was cigna ppo he said I had to get PCP to refer me.

Have you looked on the cigna website to see who they have for doctors?

DAYCAREMOM123 New Member

Did you find a good Fibro Dr. My 74 year old mother was seeing Dr. Plotnick. His license has been suspended. She was not on narcotics although a large combo of pills. Would like to find her a good caring Dr.