Looking at Adjustable Beds. Please Share Opinons

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, May 18, 2006.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hello....

I have a very severe neck and lower back pain. Our insurance will pay 80% with a doctor's script, for this type of bed.

The only way I sleep is in our recliner, bought for same reason. I want to sleep in our bedroom again! The massage and heat options with the bed are also an incentive.

With my neck, I need a bed that will elevate my head. So none of the select comfort type of beds, or other mattress' would be of use.

If anyone has any info, or knows someone who has used one, I would really appreciate what you/they have to say!

Thanks so much!

Kim

2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I can't believe I see your name...So nice to see you post. I know you have had lots of pain, and I do hope you can find a good adjustable bed.

You must be exhausted. I don't know of any beds that adjust like that...I have seen things advertised, but I don't know how good they are. You would probably also want one that adjusted on both sides so you both could sleep how you feel best. I'm glad to hear the insurance will pay so well. Be sure to get a good one and one that you can sleep on for a bit before making a final decision.

Just glad to see you before we leave again tomorrow evening for 12 days or so.

Take care.

Love,
    Sue
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

You are a gem.. truly!

I will miss you while you are gone. When will you be home again?

Safe journey and enjoy!

Love, Kim
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

We will be there a week before the wedding. That way we can relax, do some sight-seeing and visit with them before the rest of the group arrives.

We also will take 3 days to get there and 2 days back. It is very important to me now with this pain. AAGH.

I may be able to check in once in a while because my son has a computer and so does his bride-to-be. Last time there were none.

Thank you for the good wishes and I am so glad you checked in. I was truly concerned about you knowing you had a possiblilty of surgery, etc. And, I know that being at the computer doesn't help your pain, so just glad you could write a bit before I left again.

Love you lots...maybe we could exchange e-mails like we were long ago?? Think it over.

Sue
  5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Yes, I sleep on an adjustable bed. For me it was worth every penny. I didn't know insurance would pay for it?

I have back trouble and if I sleep flat I can't hardly move in the morning. Even with all of the meds I take.

If I sleep with my feet and head inclined, I am great the next morning.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Jodi

PS Ours is a Dormia
  6. namow

namow New Member

Just curious because I'm in need of a new matress and I would love to have one of those
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you! There are so many brands! I will have to look up Dormia!

Our company pays if my doctor writes a script. I too need to have my head and knees/legs up. I cannot move well, otherwise!

Would you mind telling me about your bed. The size, how it fits in your BR, does it have heat and massage, remote, how long you've had it, and how is it holding up?

Lucky for you! I am out of questions! LOL

Look forward to hearing from you!

Hugs,

Kim
  8. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Our Dormia was between 4500. and 5000. I think. I can't remember exactly now.

That included 2 twin foundations, a split king matress, the two remotes, massage, and a mattress cover.

I would recommend if you are getting a king size to go ahead and get two whole twin sets instead of the twin foundations and the one king mattress.

My husband doesn't like to sleep inclined. Now he decides that. No matter what they tell you the other person will sleep a little slanted.

As soon as we can, we will get the twin mattresses to replace the one king mattress.
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

My DH and I wentIndianapolis for his birthday weekend. I looked up where they sell Dormia's. Sure enough, one in Indy.

I had slept very poorly, on the hotel mattress. We went to the store. Tried their beds and thought I would fall asleep then and there!

We decided to go with the King Split. Jim did not notice much difference when I adjusted my size. I cannot remember which model, but I tried everything they had. The price is in the $5,000 range, but includes free delivery, we live 2 hours away, and 2 of the pillows, which I love! They have the sheets on sale due to new line coming out.

I checked several other types of beds, and many of them seem to have coils, and not all of the extra's Dormia has for the same money.

Thank you for telling me about this bed! Insurance has said they will pay %80 with the doctor's note. I see him tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I would advise others to give these a serious look!

Hugs,

Kim
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Hi Kim

I got an adjustable bed and I find it great for reading, catnaps, TV watching, etc. For sleeping comfort I went back to my waveless waterbed for the warmth and softness.

If you can sleep well in the recliner that this will probably be the bed for you.

Good Luck,

Sue in Ontario
  11. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I have an adjustable bed and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's so easy to find a comfortable position and when that position begins to hurt (as it inevitably will) a touch of the remote alleviates the pain and pressure. Changing to a more comfortable position (without needing to move your body) is easy. The bed is wonderful for sleeping, reading, watching TV - I can't say enough good things about my bed.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  12. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for letting me know about your beds.

I do LOVE my recliner, but want to be in a bedroom again with my DH! LOL

The bed we looked at feels heavenly. It has wool,latex, and things I can't even remember! I don't one with coils. We were able to see how the mattress is layered and the quality of it's construction. I really do like the Dormia.

Anne Theresa! I didn't know you have an adjustable bed? How long have you had one? What size do you have?

Again, thanks to you both!

Kim
  13. Terry383

Terry383 New Member

Have had one for 20 years, best money I ever spent. I also have spinal problems and couldn't be happier with mine. It is an Ultramatic and the mattress is like new.
  14. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I've had my bed for 6 years. I bought it primarily because I couldn't get up from bed by myself. With the adjustable bed, I just adjust it to the sitting position and can get up from there.

I have the double-sized bed and share it with my partner - he loves it too! Next time we're going to get the semi-detached bed with two remotes do he doesn't have to adjust to my adjustments :) He doesn't mind though, he's someone who could sleep through an earthquake - my adjusting the bed through the night doesn't even wake him.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  15. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for sharing how much you like yours Terry! I am so hoping this works out for us!

Anne Theresa, we are getting what is called "a split mattress". It splits down to upper thigh area and has the dual controls. The split still allows Jim to stay in his position, even if I change mine.

Keeping my fingers crossed that insurance will definitely, give the okay!

Hugs to you both!

Kim