Looking for a Dr in Southern California

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KewlJewLs, Feb 28, 2009.

1. KewlJewLs

KewlJewLs New Member

Hi there,

I have been on this board like forever, I rarely post though, but I read daily. My story is still FM/CFS/IBS/IC right now I am in a flare and I have tried everything that I can think of. Hot Tub heat, Dry heat in tanning bed, being in the Sun, walking, Not walking, pretty much anything to get some relief. I Did the whole holistic thing at one time, to no avail. Been on vicodin but with IBS-c not a good choice.

I always battle chronic sinus infections while I am in a flare and have had several rounds of antibiotics and still have the migraine type headache if I push myself too much. Basically I feel like I have Mono, just like did at 16, I have tried Anti-D in the past, didn't do anything for me. So the newer and the latest have not impressed me enough to even try them. I suffer more from inflammation and exhaustion upon any exeration which in turns causes the chronic pain.

I have a Dr that is somewhat open minded however, I don't think he really has a clue in how to work with me. Does anyone know of a Dr in the Riverside County, or San Diego North county area (I live in Temecula) that would be open minded for trial and error on things to try that would work for ME?

Thanks so much

2. nixon

nixon New Member

Did you check the PLEASE POST GOOD DRS. HERE LIST??? 3rd listing on topic board.......... I hope you can find one!! Andrea
  3. luckyman

luckyman New Member

I am going to check out UCSD's pain center as they seem to have a good reputation. They have a teaching video seemingly intended for physicians that is posted on U-tube. The video is on diagnosing and treating FMS. It's pretty long, but they seem open to finding the appropriate medicines to treat us. If you haven't seen it, I think you'll find it informative. Beware, the video is 56 min long and the pain center seems to be targeted to the "GoldenYears".

After many years my meds are just not cutting it anymore, and I've been considering giving them a try. Dr. wallace M.D. Dept of Anesthesiology is the Chief of staff, and seems to be very bright, and he is well informed about FMS. He seems very open minded and have a very sincere desire to help to the best of his ability to with whatever treament he deems necessary to help control his patients pain and help them live a fuller life. My only problem is I haven't reached my "Golden Years", and he may not accept me, or he may refer me to someone else in his clinic. If you can find the time to view the video, check it out and let me know what you think. The link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OsEvc0RVog&feature=channel
  4. luckyman

luckyman New Member

The video as mentioned before is long, and it starts off with a primer on pain and how the human body percieves it. It DOES a great job of explaining pain and its treatment, however even though he is the doctor I'd like to get an appt. with, it's not the video of the roundtable discussion of FMS that I thought it was. Sorry for the inconvienence, I'll find the other video and post the link.

Here's the link I meant to post, also from UCSD educational series. This is a roundtable discussion about FMS, and my foggy brain linked them together. At least they believe in FMS and have a Pain center. Sorry again. This one is very good also, but exclusively on FMS. Here you go!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2009]
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, I have seen Dr. Rick Chavez in Redondo Beach for over 5 years. He treats only pain patients and has many fibro people. He is also a internist so he will order tests and treat other conditions. He is the most compassionate doctor I have ever met - also very knowledgable on pain meds. He really does know how to combine the pain meds to achieve relief, however sometimes it is trial and error.

I know it is not close to where you live but your normally only have to see him once a month. Dr.Chavez also suffered from migraines at one time. He is the director of pain management at Little Company of Mary in Torrance, CA.

Dr. Rick Chavez
    510 N Prospect Ave # 209
    Redondo Beach, CA 90277
    (310) 798-1633

If you call ask to speak with Lynette his wife. She is very nice and talks to new patients.