looking for a good Doctor in Central CA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kvrose48, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. kvrose48

    kvrose48 New Member

    I have been to 3 M.D.'s in this last year. None of whom know a darned thing about CFS, except to brush it aside as some obscure complaint. Live in the foothills of Central Ca and hope to find a Doc who truly understand this dibilitating illness. Working is becoming hazadous to my health. I worked 8 hours at home health nursing today and I am so wasted and in such pain I wonder how I will get through tomorrow.

    This started for me one year ago now and I am much worse today than one year ago. Looking for guidance.

    So glad I found this forum.


  2. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    If you cannot find a good pain doctor in Central CA, my doctor in Redondo Beach is excellent. His name is Dr. Rick Chavez. He was directly of pain management at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance, CA.

    He sees patients from all over the US because of his expertise. One patients is currently coming from Canada.

    Anyway, he is very knowledgable and compassionate.

  3. kvrose48

    kvrose48 New Member


    I'm really new to this. Is a pain doctor the best one to treat those with CFIDS???

  4. Adl123

    Adl123 New Member

    Dear Karen,
    There is a good M.D. in Los Gatos, on Almendra Street. His name is Dr. R.O.Waiton. He is a rehab specialist, among many other things, and is a Nobel Lauriate. He is the only Dr. I've found in the past few years who understands CFIDS and Fibro, and treats them. He takes regular insurances, and is an expert at dealing with the state bureocracy. He is also nice, as is his office staff. (I guess you can tell that I miss them).

    It sounds like you are east of the valley. If you can make it across the valley, I think you will like him. Then you can enjoy the rest of the day in Saratoga and Los Gatos. Two cute little places that always made me feel better.

    Good luck,
    p.s. Dr. Waiton is on the "good doctor" list for this board. You can look him up by clicking on "doctors".
  5. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    I am not sure if a pain specialist is the best doctor for someone with CFS. You said you have pain, so is that also fibromyalgia?

    I have fibro and needed help with the terrible muscle aching.

    All doctors are different, especially pain specialists. Some pain specialists are more into treating bad backs with injections - they are anesthesiologists.

    Its almost like you need to find a good doctor by "word of mouth" that understands fibro and CFS.

    My doctor treats many fibromyalgia patients so I know he understands. He is patient and really listens.

    Most fibro patients have chronic pain and are not going to be a quick fix for the doctor. Many doctors don't have the patience to deal with it. They give pain medication, then all of a sudden, refuse refills and make you feel like a criminal.

    I have seen that here, over and over again. If you find a doctor who understands fibromyalgia, and treating pain it is a good start.

    Many doctors are very reluctant to treat the pain effectively. As a result, people stop working and lose the quality of their life.

    In many cases people have many different medical problems along with fibromyalgia, like degenerative disc disease, arthritis, etc.

    For many people with severe chronic pain, they must take serious pain meds like opiates. eg. MS Contin, Vicodin.

    Have you been tested for Epstein Barr or other viruses associated with Chronic Fatigue. There is a excellent infectious disease specialist here in Torrance, his name is Dr. John Chia. He does treat chronic fatigue with anti-virals, and other meds. I am supposed to see him in January.

    I have a high blood titer of the Esptein Barr Virus showing as a "old infection", - the normal level is below 100 and I am at 3,500.

    He has also had me tested for several other viruses etc. before my appt which is in January 2007.

    It takes a long time to get an appt with Dr. Chia and you can only do so through your doctors referral. Before they will make an appt. you have to have your medical lab results faxed to them.

    Anyway, there is no easy answer to your question. The one thing you know, you have not received the help you need so far.

[ advertisement ]