Looking for advice for pain specialist appt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skippy007, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. skippy007

    skippy007 New Member

    I am being referred to a pain specialist by my primary care doctor as prescription meds are not helping much. What does this person really do for you? Should I take info like xrays, mri, etc? Is this someone you continue to see to resolve just your pain issues? Do I let SSDI know of this? Any advice appreciated!
  2. gidgetsmom

    gidgetsmom New Member

    I don't know if a pain specialist is the same as pain management.

    I was referred to pain management when I got to the max limit per day on tramadol/ultram with little relief. I have FM.

    The doctors at my pain management are anesthesiologists. They have several injection procedures to relieve pain as well as medication. I have cervical facet joint injections of lidocaine/cortisone done every 4 months. I also take Lortab, flexeril, amitriptyline, and lorazepam.

    This combination allows me to work. The pain management clinic also offers physical therapy and counseling.

    Like I said, I don't know if this is the same as pain specialist, but the dr's and nurses I see genuinely care about their patients. They listen and offer advice without making you feel "judged". I have had a very positive experience.

    Hope this helps you some!

  3. skippy007

    skippy007 New Member

    thanks for the info. I believe they are the same. I am told that the person I will see is strictly to manage my pain. I have FM, OA, cervical DDD, chronic fatigue and also some lower back pain that is really something. I was given ultram/tramadol and it made me sick as a dog with or without food so I guess this pain doctor type is my next trial. Good Luck.
  4. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    From my impression, pain specialists seem to be different. My doctor is located in Redondo Beach and only sees pain patients.

    He works hard and it seems "trial and error" what works best for each patient. He also treated my mother who has severe degenerative disc disease and I was so impressed.

    Her prior doctor gave her Vicodin for years - our pain specialist combined a number of meds in smaller doses and she had much better pain relief.

    He saw her once a month (and more often if necessary) and would change the dosages if necessary. Normally when you are referred, your primary doctor should fax over your medical records to the new doctor - or you can take them with you.

    FYI - meds my mom was on:

    Low dose Prednisone
    Duragesic Pain Patches (these really helped)
    Darvocette for breakthrough pain.
    Soma at bedtime.

    I am on a completely different protocol for fibromyalgia. Anyway, I wish you the best. If you are in S. California and find you want to try another pain specialist I can give you the name of my doctor. He is very compassionate and knowledgable about meds.

  5. obrnlc

    obrnlc New Member

    hi skippy-

    i would hold off informing ssdi about this new doc. til you see how they treat you. I went to one "specialist" who was an anesth. doc, wanting to give epidural injects into cervical and lumbar spine. (i couldn't cuz i was uninsured at the time). But, i had had this done before, relief for 8 hrs only (and i had never subjected my body to an epidural to give birth!!), so i told her this and also a reminder that steroid injections for INFLAMMATION prob. wouldn't do alot of good for a condition that was NOT an inflammatory cond. (would've tried it tho, if insured.)

    i was referred to her when my pain doc declared me stable and left my high dose narcotics to my pcp, who could not prescribe such meds (thats why the PAIN DOC!!) but this new one said there was no need for narcotics w/fibro, but to take TOXIC doses of ibuprofen and tylenol.

    ANYWAY--my point in this rant--she sent my report to doc. and disab. that i jumped on and off the table FINE, showed no signs of pain, no tender points--basically lied thru her teeth (she's lucky she still has them, too, after i read that report,lol!). So, if you submit a "specialist" to ssdi, then that "spec." reports something that will be damagine to your claim, simply because they are CLUELESS and don't understand the illness, it will definitely be held against you.

    If you see the rport and it DOES help you (ask doc to send it to you), then by all means use it, but try to get a feel for the doc's understanding of the illness and feelings re: dis.

    I have found that to go in to a new doc with any type of disab. papers (my LTD made me do this w/ a neurologist because i STUPIDLY told them i had an APPT>) most docs will be immediately TURNED OFF, and just want to get rid of you!

    Good luck--L

    (oh yeah--take mri's and x-rays, also try to WRITE out a history so you remember it)
  6. debhun

    debhun New Member

    Hey I hope you have some luck. I went yesterday for my first appt with the pain management. They can only do steroid injections into my spine. They couldn't help with my FM. I was really upset. Just tried of being in pain all the time. My FP wants me off my vicodon for a while and put me on tramadol hcl 50mg. I have tryed them in the past and didn't work. So we will see. I have to fine some one that treats FM and that is not going to be easy.For I live on the coast of NC and live to farfrom any thing.

    I wish you luck
  7. skippy007

    skippy007 New Member

    Thanks to all of you. Any feedback on this just gives me a head up as to expectations and being ready. I am hoping for some real relief but it has definitely been a trial an error and error process.

[ advertisement ]