Looking for advice for SSDI doctor appt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skippy007, Mar 14, 2007.

1. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

I am currently in the application process for SSDI. My rheumy did not complete a form in enough detail - not all symptoms addressed for range of motion / affect on daily life. I have now been given a appt with a internist doctor for SSDI. I will see my rheumy before the SSDI appt. and will attempt to have him further detail the range of motion form for acceptance by SSDI. Is this normal? Any other ideas for this?
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi skippy

i might mention to both rheumy and the ssdi doc (although i hear they can be rather intimidating) that it really doesn't matter what your RANGE of motion is, if you can only MOTION for blocks of 20 minutes at a time, it's hard to function in a work setting.

not to mention, many fibro sufferers (i've read--also applies to me) were HYPERflexible in their past life (prefibro/cfs) so if we have a residual of 10% of OUR norm, it might be 80% of other peoples norm.

I went to a doc/clinic that performed muscle testing/range of motion and flexibility testing/strength testing by a MACHINE which gave more accurate results and weren't subject to an examiners "lining of the pockets", or a patient "faking it" so if they try to do this without a computerized testing, i would have a problem with it.

yeah, you can probably touch your toes--alot better than you can MOVE your toes for over 30 minutes, but all that they are checking is whether you can touch them.

what a racket, try to get your rheumy to go to bat for you on the DURATION of your activity.

Good luck--L
  3. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

You make some great points, thanks. Sometimes it seems when you go to the doctor, you go in prepared but things go another direction and you get off track. The one thing with this DD is that I stretch all the time in order to move, especially my back, if I didn't I really would not be doing too much. So like you say I can do things but repetitiously or applying any real pressure is another story!
  4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

something very important. He said I was to make a list of every single dr I had seen since being diagnosed and to call anyone who did not either fill out the paperwork or like yours, didnt go into enough detail. He said to say"do you want to be the reason I dont get my disability?"

When I went for the SSDI physical, I had been told that their dr doesnt like anyone so I didnt know what to expect but he was very nice and I liked him. He had me do things like touch my toes and walk on my heels and toes and raise my legs etc. There wasnt much to it but I lucked out to get one who believed me and I will always be thankful for him.

Suzette