Looking for Answers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neenska, May 20, 2003.

1. neenska

neenska New Member

I am very new to this website and I am hoping that I can find the answers and help that I need. I have been bouncing from doctor to doctor in the past few months trying to find an answer to the symptoms that I have been having. All tests have come back negative and the doctors are starting to treat me like maybe it's "mental". My last doctor told me I'm too young to be feeling so tired and sick. A few days ago a friend at work was asking me how I was feeling and when I started to explain my symptoms and frustration to her, she said that what I was saying was very similar to a friend of hers who went through something very similar and was diagnosed with FM. I did some research and was so excited to find that so MANY of my symptoms were an EXACT match to FM symptoms. It's sad when you get excited that you're sick, but it would just be SO GOOD to know what I'm dealing with once and for all. My problem is that I don't know what questions to ask, what doctors to see and what resources I have. I live in northern VA right outside DC and would love to know where I can find a resource for doctors and such in the area. If anyone can point me in the right direction, give me some advice or suggestions I would be truly grateful. Thank You!
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

At the top of this page is a button for Doctor Referral. I found this doc in D.C. :

Dr. Samuel J. Potolicchio
    2150 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 7th Floor
    Washington, DC 20037
    Tel: (202) 994-4063
    ("He's an excellent doctor for fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue.")

There were also 6 physicians listed under Virginia. So check that out. You are right. It is a big relief to be able to put a name to all of our crazy symptoms. Keep researching and don't spend money or time on a doc that wants to treat you like a head case.

Also check out the support groups for your area. They may be a good source for docs. Hope this helps. -Karen
  3. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

There is alot of info if you go to top of page. There is a good doc list. See if 1 is in your area. Just go to your state after you puch in doc. referral. There is a library, also peoples bios recently done about 200. Also ask your specific questions on post, many try to help. Good doc`s are hard to come by when it comes to fm. They have so much to learn and most do not want to take the time. This is probably a neurological endocrine prob. but we are sent to rheume`s. Some get it some don`t. Same with pain management doc`s. Good Luck. Really hope it is something much less, that will go away soon.
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

i just wanted to say welcome to the board,you will find alot of info on this site,but please just remember not to let any of this scare you there are differnt degrees of fm
    dont think your doomed to a life of pain and misseary,
    find a rhemotologist and ask about fm,
    agin welcome to the board