Looking for CFS safe building materials.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ianmb, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Ianmb

Ianmb New Member

I'm remodeling part of a house for a person with CFS and MCS. I've been able to find materials for many parts of the rebuilding process that don't emit strong toxic odors or encourage mold growth, but am stuck when it comes to finding good things to use instead of drywall. The drywall I've checked at the usual building supply stores already smell moldy/musty on the store shelves; the stuff seems to absorb any odor where it's stored, plus I'm pretty sure it contains formaldehyde, which is not good for people with CFS or MCS (It's not good for healthy people either, they just don't know it unless they get really sick from it).
    Anyway, I've priced plain pine interior siding, but it's REALLY expensive ($1 per board foot for 7" wide, which comes to almost $2 per square foot).

Does anyone know what are some good alternatives to drywall or for interior walls in general that are not harmful to people with CFS or MCS, or where builders can find non-toxic building materials online. It also needs to be something that doesn't easily grow mold like drywall does.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ian
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

would AFM Safe Seal be adequate to lock in any smells and keep it from mildew/mold. Maybe it could be sealed on both sides before application. Jen
  3. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

i wouldn't have thought of it except for your note. thanks for posting all the AFM info. I have used several of the products. I don't care for the painting primer all that much--it seems to smell worse than some products purchased thru the local paint store such as Sherwin Williams Harmony line. thanks. jen