Looking for doctor around Wichita Kansas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KathyStovall, Sep 17, 2006.

1. KathyStovall

KathyStovall New Member

I am in search of a rheumatologist who specializes in fibromyalgia, for my sister who is living in the Witchita area. If anyone knows of one please respond....

Thank you,

Kathy
  2. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I don't know of one in Kansas, but there is an awesome one in NorthPlatte Nebraska.
  3. KathyStovall

KathyStovall New Member

I don't know how close that would be for her but I'll ask her. If he isn't to far I'll get back to you for his contact information. Thanks again. Have a great day!

Kathy
  4. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

Hi Kathy,

I too live in Wichita and there are not many Rheumatologist in this area. I saw Dr. Steen Mortensen at the Wichita Clinic, he is very knowlegable but he only does the initial diagnosis and sends recommendations for treatment plans to my GP. He does not do the treatments because it can take up to 4 months to get appointments with him because he is very busy and Fibro is so hard to find the right balance of meds with that she will need to have a doctor that can do that for her on a more need to see basis. I can say though that after seeing him my GP has taken a 360 degree turn around in her opinion of my disease and treatment.

Before I saw him she was refusing me drug treatmentd and was in the "it is an emotional problem,and you need to see a counselor" boat. Now she is working closely with him about what I can do to get medical help and actually apologized to me about not recognizing how much this DD has affected my life. Without his recommendations and support I don't know if she would have ever gotten the message that the pain was real and physical and needed to be treated.

I see a great Biofeedback/Occupational Therapy person as well at the Wesley Rehab hospital here named Nancy O'Donnell. She is really helping me find ways to cope with my symptoms and is giving me great feedback and support.

I was newly diagnosed in July of this year but had many tests done in the past 5 years to see if they could find the cause for unrelenting pain. I had a laprascope of my abdomen done due to a family history of Ovarian cancer in 2003 and a heart cath done due to family history of heart disease in 2004 because of pain in my abdomen and chest. These pains kept getting worse and then it hit my neck and arms. It has been a long road just to find out what was wrong with me. I have lost a job I had for 14 years and a new one I just got last year that I only where I was able to work 6 weeks before they determined that I was just too sick to do the job. I am now in the process of waiting for a disability hearing

Hope this helps, good luck to your sister.
    Linda B
  5. KathyStovall

KathyStovall New Member

I hate to hear that you are going through all that. I've been there and done that "ALL", believe me. I have had FM for 22 years and it is very, very bad now. My heart truly goes out to you. I know the H*** that you are going through. And these doctor's that think "it's all in our head" sicken me to no end. Any time you need a shoulder you just holler ok? My sister got approved for her disability after hiring a lawyer when she lived in Arizona. Maybe you two need to meet. Sounds like you need a local fibro friend. Watcha think?

Kathy
  6. jole

jole Member

I went to Dr. Weidensaul in Wichita, who is actually in the arthritis clinic, I believe (can't remember today). But he was very good, did all the tests for RA, Lymes, etc. plus the FM check. I was very impressed with him as far as fibro goes. He is very knowledgable, and does recommendations and some treatment planning.

Hope you have good luck with finding someone for her.

Friends~
    Jole
  7. KathyStovall

KathyStovall New Member

I will call my sis tomorrow and tell her. Thanks so much.

Kathy
  8. wangotango

wangotango New Member

joseph brewer in knmo. he is across from st luke's and he is very cool. good luck bill m in kc