Looking for feedback on Dr. Rodger Murphee's book/treatments

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hubcap_halo, Jun 30, 2008.

1. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I'm posting for a friend who is curious about this doctor and his book. Has anyone read it, used it, gotten better from it?

This was the email she forwarded:

Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia

Is There a Magic Bullet for Fibromyalgia?

Doctors and their patients continue to search for the magic bullet that will cure fibromyalgia. Elavil, Klonopin, Flexeril, SSRI's Ambien, Neurontin, and Cymbalta have all at one time or another been promoted as the latest and greatest "new" drug for fibromyalgia. The latest fibromyalgia drug du jour, Lyrica, has seemingly topped them all by becoming the first FDA approved drug for the treatment of fibromyalgia.

Pfizer's Lyrica, known generically as Pregabalin, is very similar to Neurotonin. Like Neurontin, Lyrica is a 3-substituted analog of gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA). The two compounds share similar mechanisms of action: binding to the calcium channels, modulating calcium influx, and resulting in analgesic, anxiolytic, and anticonvulsant activity. Lyrica provides equivalent efficacy at lower doses, but other than that, they are very similar. A lower dose is supposed to translate into less side effects, especially fatigue.

Some experts say that Lyrica doesn't work well enough to have warranted its FDA approval. In 2004, reviewers recommended against approving the drug, citing its side effects. But the FDA ignored the advice of Lyrica reviewers, and approved it anyway. Pfizer asked the FDA to expand the approved uses of Lyrica to include the treatment of fibromyalgia, and the agency did so in June 2007.

According to in clinical trials, patients taking Lyrica reported that their pain fell on average about 2 points on a 10-point scale, compared with 1 point for patients taking a placebo. Not a big deal to say the least. However, a minority of patients (roughly 30 percent) said their pain fell by at least half, compared with 15 percent in those taking a placebo. While a fifty percent reduction in pain is impressive, remember that it occurred in only 3 out ten patients who took Lyrica (1.5 patients had same result, with no side effects, by taking a sugar pill).

Still, for those who can't get their pain under control, Lyrica is certainly an option. Unfortunately, Lyrica like Neurontin, has several unwanted side effects, including somnolence (prolonged drowsiness or a trance-like condition that may continue for a number of days), weight gain, edema (fluid retention), dizziness, weakness, fatigue, double vision, ataxia (muscular in-coordination), thought disorder, possible long-term ophthalmic problems (abnormal eyeball movements and disorders), tremors, back pain, constipation, muscle aches, memory loss, asthenia (weakness), depression, abnormal thinking, itching, involuntary muscle twitching, serious rash, and runny nose.

On the bright side, Pfizer's multi-million dollar PR campaign should help the public become more knowledgeable about fibromyalgia. Surely the TV and print ads will help others realize that yes there is such a thing as fibromyalgia, here are the symptoms, and this is why aunt Jane feels so miserable each day. Pfizer has wasted no time in promoting Lyrica for the treatment of fibromyalgia. During the first nine months of 2007, Pfizer spent $46 million on Lyrica ads. Commercial success of new fibromyalgia brands will encourage other companies to consider investment, and we will see the R&D pipeline for new therapies increase over the coming years.

There are drugs that are helpful for your fibromyalgia symptoms but most of the drugs being used for fibromyalgia are actually causing more symptoms: fatigue, depression, poor sleep, even chronic pain. Most doctors don't know about the dangers of using these common drugs in those with fibromyalgia. Knowing which drugs are helpful and which ones are actually contributing to your symptoms is crucial for beating fibromyalgia. I devote a good deal of time with my VIP Fibromyalgia Coaching Program patients helping them switch from or slowly wean off, and or eliminate life-draining drugs, to safer, more effective nutritional therapies or drugs. I also devote a whole chapter to this important life-changing information in my book Treating and Beating fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Fortunately for those who want to avoid the latest drug du jour merry-go-round and all the side effects, there are clinically proven nutritional protocols available that help 80% of patients beat their fibromyalgia.

Here are three options I've developed to help you start getting better today! Click Here

Helping Others Help Themselves,

Dr. Rodger Murphree

2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

bumpity bump
  3. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Doing good deeds, you are.
  4. tooks

tooks Member

I sent you an email at Yahoo. I was a patient of Dr. Murphree's for years.

Susan (under a new name at Yahoo)
  5. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I never got any email. I hope I didn't miss it or my computer thought it was something else.

I would love to hear your experience. patrick at skylab-inc dot

6. tooks

tooks Member

I'll try sending it again. It will be an unfamiliar name on your Yahoo mail but I'll put Dr. Murphree in the subject line.