Looking for good anti depressant

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NewEnglander, May 21, 2003.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Hi there
    I'm in need of an antidepressant but want the right one. One with low side effects such as wieght gain and sexual side effect. maybe one that will even help clear my thinking and increase energy. Just need something.
    thanks
    Lisa
  2. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Since getting CFS/FM 2 years ago, I've tryed Zoloft, Prozac, and Elavil. The first 2 made me so nervous and jittery I thought I would come out of my skin. Elavil did make me put on weight as well as the inactivity of the disease, however, it really has elevated my ability to handle pain and I sleep so much better. Your best bet would be to talk with your doctor about your concerns and hopefully he/she is knowledgable and will be able to help you. Keep in mind the first one you are put on may not be it. I have also heard good things about St. John's Wort. It did not however work for me. Best of luck. Tulip
  3. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

is a newer one and has a very low side effect profile. Trouble is, it might not be covered on your insurance's formulary yet. It's quite expensive.

Lexapro is basically Celexa with the side effect ingredients taken out. I'm taking it and I really like it. I'm super sensitive to meds but with this one I've had no side effects at all.

Good luck!!
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

seems to have the least side effects and after trying Zoloft/Wellbrutin/Effexor/Paxil, etc. etc. over the past 15 yrs., this is the one which helps me with fatigue (I have CFS and FMS) and pain control and anxiety and does not make me more fatigued than a lot of the above mentioned have. Also, Celexa has not made me gain more weight which has been pretty stable since taken it.
    Hope, this helps and I wish you luck with a good med that also will benefit you. Lucky
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2003]
  5. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

I tried it and it gave me stomaches, but I might try it again. I need energy and can't be laying down all the time. well I know some will make you tired in the begining, so I'll see. thanks everyone
    Love Lisa
  6. AC77

AC77 New Member

type in my name and look for postings about nortriptyline.
    This would probally be a better choice for you and cause less weight gain and make you less sleepy. it is a metabolite of elavil with fewer side-effects. dose ranges are from 50mgs/d to 150mgs or more. a blood level test can tell if you are in the appropraite antidepressant range--unlike most AD's! You sound like SSRI's are not for you, given the anxiety, which you certainly don't need. Good Luck
  7. mitch123

mitch123 New Member

If you want one with low side effects try Wellbutrin. ( Do some research on it on the net) I'm in the process of trying Wellbutrin now and it is going well.I can't tolerate SSRI drugs they make me anxious but apart from the first four days of taking Wellbutrin it I haven't got anxiety and my energy has improved, this drug gives you a very awake, alert feeling.
    mitch
  8. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

i agree that everyone is different. i have been taking 30mg celexa for 3 years now and it is working very well. but before that for 10 years took prozac 6 yrs. (it stopped working) then paxil, then wellbutrin (which i had a bad reaction to) so as my dd is progressing so becomes my need to occasionally change meds to accomodate things. i was on 40 mg of celexa for about 4 mos then my sexual drive totally stopped so we lowered it. trial and error. so personally i would suggest celexa because it works for me.
    alice(ptl) :)
    p.s. i love r.i. have friends there. adore new england states!!!!!!!
  9. aryiella

aryiella New Member

Well, I think I'm going to stop taking it actually. That's not to say it won't work for you. The Dr said it would be good for energy and depression. I started off at 150mg 2x day. It did help me feel slightly more alert at work without jitteryness. Extremely suppressed my appetite (maybe too much). Lost 10 lbs in the past 3 mos and I'm now 5'7" 128# - some friends think I'm too skinny, but I say another 5 can't hurt, lol. Anyways, it wasn't helping my depression though. Then, I lost my job at the end of March, and possibly due to boredom, bad sleeping patterns, etc, it seemed the energy it gave me was no longer there. All the while my depression seemed to be getting worse. Doc suggested I up it to 3x day. 2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon. Well, I did that for a couple days and said forget it. I started to feel extremely agitated, anti-social, more depressed, no appetite, which not eating much made me even more tired because my blood sugar was low. I dropped back down to 1 pill when I get up. I'm still depressed, still back to my previous level of tiredness, but I still like having a slight appetite suppressant effect. I'll probably stop taking it altogether though. Maybe it'll work for you, but it didn't for me :( I was hoping it would be my magic bullet.

Holly
  10. j-bearmama

j-bearmama New Member

the ONLY one I have not had side effects from is Pamelor (nortryptoline).
    I do get a little dry mouth, but that is easy solved with drinking enough, and sucking hard candy. etc.

but everyone has different needs from these meds.
    It was given to me so I could calm my thoughts so I could sleep. it does NOT make me sleepy , but it does relax me..
    I am a BIT high strung (i do not function when I'm stressed.)

jbear
  11. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I have had great sucess with Lexapro. I have no drowsiness or groggy-drugged effect on it. I do believe my energy levels have increased due to a reduction in depression. My anxiety and irritability has certainly been helped as well.
    Best yet----the horrible depression I was experiencing has left. We are all different, and must often find the right treatment for us by trial and error. Best luck in your quest.
    LL