Looking for help with understanding my mothers illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by johnson_gina, May 6, 2003.

1. johnson_gina

johnson_gina New Member

Hi, my name is Gina Johnson, and I am a college student at the University of Idaho, in Moscow, Idaho My mother was diagnosed with FM about 3-4 years ago, and her quality of life has gone down drastically. She takes an enormous amount of meds and I am really concerned about her health and how to improve it.

In honor of her and in honor of mothers day I am writing a column style feature article about how difficult it is for a daughter to watch her mother's health deteriorate because of a disease that is not greatly understood. What kind of assistance I can offer her, if any, and other family members that do not understand the disease.

To me it is very important to know that every mother is beautiful and deserves the highest quality life possible. No matter what.... my mother will always be the most beautiful woman I know. If anyone out there is in a similar situation and would like to talk to me about it, I would be very grateful. This story is very important to me and I would like to tell a similar story of someone else along with my own.

Thanks,
    Gina Johnson
    [This Message was Edited on 05/06/2003]
  2. johnson_gina

johnson_gina New Member

How would I go about contacting you??? Via email would be best I guess..... or this posting if you feel more comfortable with that. johnson_gina@yahoo.com

I have alot of questions
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

See the post called "Our Biographies". An incredible consolidation of many of "our" stories, thanks to jellybelly.

Take care and good luck!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are a wonderful daughter. My daughters are thrid-, and maybe fourth-generation sufferers of FMS. I also have CFIDS. I am fortunate to have such a caring and understanding family (even my ex :)

Take very good care of yourself because this stuff can run in families. Do everything you can to reduce stress, eat a healthy low-carb diet, and get plenty of rest (can you tell I'm a Mom?)

Love, Mikie
  5. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

It must mean the world to your Mum that she has a lovely daughter with such an open, accepting attitide.
    A lot of people here have problems with their families believing and accepting the illness, although initial denial does play a part.
    We are the same people that we have always been, just more tired, possible a little more cynical due to the treatment we have had - especially from the Medical Profession, and fed up with not being able to do what we WANT to do.
    For you to be so accepting of your Mum's illness is the greatest gift you can give her.
    hugs
    Mary x
  6. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

The fact that you still appreciate the essence of what she is and has meant to you is very reassuring to her I am sure. Just trying to get others to understand what she has lost in the quality of her life is a very difficult task in itself.

I was reminded a few minutes ago, on another post, of the song by Jim Croce, "Time in a Bottle", if you don't know the song, you should listen to it sometime. It's one of my favorites and it reminds me of how much time has slipped away from me, but at the same time it is uplifting and beautiful.

I'm a mother of three and you just gave ME a wonderful Mother's Day message.

Thank you,
    Lane
  7. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

Hi, my name is Tina :) I was very moved by your post, and I understand what you are feeling. My mom doesn't have FM, but she does have every other illness, and often times there is no known cause. I've seen my mom go from westcoast swing dancing EVERY night(at age 59), to barely getting off the couch. It's very hard to watch, and it's a bit scarey because I wonder if that's going to be me only 10 times worse(since I have fm). I just wanted to let you know that someone here understands, and is here for you. If you want to keep in touch, you can e-mail me, or is it ok for me to e-mail you? My thoughts are with you and your mom.
    ~Tina~
    p.s. my address is: all4martin@sbcglobal.net
  8. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Good for you hon! I can totally relate to what you are going through. My mother has had FMS for the past 7 years. I happened to have developed it in the past year and I am only 25. We currently live together and are going through this together. So, I have experience from both sides of the story. If you need someone to talk to about this, you can e-mail me anytime. My address is on my profile. I'm sure that you will find loads of info on this board for your article. Good luck to you and I hope to hear from you soon Gina!

Big Hugs,
    Kathryn