Looking for long-handled housecleaning aids

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Jun 18, 2011.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Does anyone know of a site that sells products geared towards housecleaning that would assist people with FM or any person that can't bend, squat, kneel, or sit on the floor? I've been to so many sites that sell products for the handicapped, but I mostly find things to open doorknobs easier, pull up zippers easier, seat cushions, etc. I'm specifically looking for a small scrub brush with a long handle (like a sturdy broom handle) for cleaning the pipes & area near the floor behind the toilet, or scrubbing ceramic baseboard tiles, etc. I can't find a product like this anywhere. I even searched for "products for people with back pain" and didn't come up with anything.

I do have one of those "reachers" (for picking things up off the floor, or reaching for something in an upper cabinet), and I just love it! If you don't have one, you need to try it! But it's not real helpful with housecleaning.

If anyone has any ideas, or knows of such a website, I'd sure appreciate the info.

Donna M.

2. donna13210

donna13210 Member

That's a good idea, Caledonia. Gotta love duct tape! I think I'll try your idea until I find something better. I was thinking last night that I could use an old hand towel with my reacher-thing to dry the area with. I may also attach a dowel to my kitty litter scooper. They do sell longer-handle scoopers, but they're too expensive.

It's hard to believe that we can't find products like these. There are so many ill people in the world, that can't handle the bending or can't squat. If I had the energy, I'd start a business for these products!

thanks again,
    Donna M.
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have found some products just like this in a few catalogs that I get in the mail regularly. They are Walter Drake, Easy Comforts, Miles Kimball and Harriet Carter gifts.

I have a shower scrub brush just like what you described. It has a long, telescoping handle and a sponge/scrubber at the end. The only problem with this one is the sponge eventually wears out and has to be replaced. They do sell replacements and you can pull the old sponge off and stick on a new one. But it is kind of a hassle and gets pricey after a while.

I have recently seen a new one that is similar except it actually has a scrub brush on the end that looks like it would last much longer. I think I am going to order it. I'm sorry I can't think of exactly which company this one is in, but if I find it, I'll post it.

You can go to these company websites and either order online or request catalogs.
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I googled long handled brushes and came up with a tonof sites!

On Amazon there is one from Black & Decker thats a 3-in-one. It does cost 39.00 but looked really good. Target etc. also came up.

I have a sponge one that I need to replace. I havent been able to find replacements for it.

good hunting
  5. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Jewel: I found the one brush at Harriet Carter that you mentioned. Looks good! But a couple of reviews mentioned that the bristles are too soft for scrubbing, so I have saved the info while I continue my search. I'll check out the other sources you mentioned.

3gs: Thanks, but I had googled the other day also. I found that when most companies advertise a "long handled" brush, they're talking about a handle that is 12" to 18" long. I'm looking for a handle that is 3 ft to 4 ft long, so there's no bending required. Not only do I have FM, but I have upper and lower vertebrae problems, too. I'm going to go look for the B&D brush you mentioned.

Thanks for the replies!
    Donna M

6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

BDTMU516: Unfortunately, I live alone, so there's no one to help. My apt is truly getting out of control, because I am so fatigued and hurt so much all the time.

Yes, I checked the sites for products for the handicapped, but didn't find what I was looking for.

But thanks for your kind words and your support.

Donna M.
  7. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi Donna
    did a little more research. the black&decker cleaner has a handle 19.2x4x7,a recharable brush.

tub & shower e-z scrubber handle 19-52 inches long. both of these were on Amazon

great website for all kinds of things. Walter Drake. they had a No stoop tub & wall scrubber.

good luck
  8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Hi Donna--

Not too long ago I purchased a long handled flexible brush from QVC--it may have been Fuller brand. It has a very long handle and was primarily designed to clean the lint filter on the clothes dryer. However, I have found a multitude of uses for it; works great in the bathroom, especially in the hard to reach tight space like the fraction of an inch between the sink vanity and the wall. Also works great in the car for the space between the drivers seat and the console that I have dropped my lipstick and compact into more than once!! My husband also uses it to clean under the refrigerator. I really love this brush for cleaning. And because it is so flexible, it doesn't further irritate the joints in my hands which seem to be always hurting lately.

9. ilovebirdeez

ilovebirdeez New Member

THIS is NOT an ad.......I was thinking maybe you can rid yourself of some of the pain by eating a plant-based diet? I read the book EAT TO LIVE by Joel Fuhrman, MD. His eating protocol reverses a lot of stuff like type 2 diabetes, asthma, and some forms of arthritis.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Makes a battery-operated scrubber with various brush heads. Amazon sells, or sold, a long handle for it. I love mine as I can reach all over the tub, shower and tiles without having to bend over. The small brush is ideal for the toilet as it gets under the rim and scrubs away mold and mineral buildup. A larger brush cleans the tub, shower and tiles.

I have one of those steam mops with the steamer which comes off. Only problem is that it's heavy and unweildy. It's better for someone who has a partner, spouse or friend who can help with it. It cleans so thoroughly and fast that it's worth it.

Love, Mikie