LOOking for Non toxic cleaners (MCS)...for work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat-E, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. kat-E

    kat-E New Member

    I work in a job where I have to sanitize tables several times a day and clean 2 small bathrooms daily.

    Never mind the pain it causes...( I wont even go into that issue... she will not give me any accomodations for that)

    I also have MCS and the toxic chemicals she makes me use are really posing a problem for me.
    I have asked for reasonable accomodations but unfortunately until I come up with something better I will not get those accomodations. She keeps buying different cleaners that are all just as toxic and make me sick to use.


    Any IDEAS?

    PS. I cannot tolerate the smell of straight vinegar.


    Blessings
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]
  2. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    Kat-e,

    For disinfection I make up a solution using a spray bottle with 1-2 teaspoons of natural soap and the rest 3% hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore.

    For the soap I use Shaklee Basic H but even something like Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid would probably be okay (I would avoid citrus).

    3% hydrogen peroxide will kill all germs...it is just oxygen and water and oxidizes harmful bacteria without destroying beneficial bacteria or allowing a resistance to develop like many germicidal products.

    If the bathroom toilets have a tank, maybe you can use the chlorine tablets to minimize odor and bacteria and then use the peroxide solution on everything else.

    It costs me about $1.00 to make a 12-oz spray bottle, quite a bit cheaper than store products. I keep one in each bathroom and in the kitchen and take it with us on trips to sterilize toilets, faucets, handles, etc in motels.

    Jan

  3. hopeful4

    hopeful4 New Member

    This must be a very difficult job for you with your pain and MCS. I know we must do what we must, so here's a hug ((((())))).

    Rockyjs has such a good recipe for this. I'm going to try it, too.

    Another idea: Have you tried a steamer? You know, the ones on the infomercials?

    I bought a $30 steamer from the store (Shark Supersteamer from Linens and Things). It works very good, and does a great job in the bathroom, and on appliances. Great on windows, mirrors, cracks and crevaces. Sometimes loosens dirt and grime, then may need to be followed with a scrub, but scrubs much easier.

    It does clean the toilet very well, but I still use a disinfectant in the bowl, at least every other time I clean.

    The steam is very hot and under pressure. I think it sanitizes, but not 100% sure about that.

    Good luck, hope some replies will ease your day.
    Hopeful4
  4. fairydust39

    fairydust39 New Member

    If you have to use toxic cleaners,then wear a mask and rubber gloves. But I have a hand held Steamer and it works on almost everything. All you do is add water and that's real cheap. Mine was very inexpensive,I bought it on the Net. It does sanitize the bath and counters. Kills all germs b/c it very hot.
    Shirley
    PS The Scunci Steamer cost $39.99 at Amazon.com That's what I bought.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  5. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    I think a steamer would work great on porcelain surfaces like toilet, sink, tile floor, etc, but I'd be very careful around any laminates like countertops since it can make it pull away from the glue and board underneath. It could also cause paint/finish to bubble on a toilet seat. They work especially well for getting wallpaper loose :)

    Jan
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

    Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

    Borax can be found in the laundry section, $5 for a 2 kilo box. It's a natural mineral salt that disinfects, has natural pesticide properties, and is a laundry booster too, which is its most common use. I make my bathroom scrub w/ borax, baking soda and unscented laudry soap, good as any toxic store product too. Scrubbed my oven w/ it (ovencleaner is out for me because of MCS). I also use Sunlight dishsoap all over the house, which is one of the few I don't react to, lots of very chemically sensitive people can use Sunlight for some reason, it's phosphate free and biodegradable that could be a clue. They have a new one out that is white, but still lemon w/ hand condition. Smells and works even better, like way better. I put a dolop of Sunlight w/ borax for the floors or for cleaning down the kitchen or walls, house smells great. Though I don't need the grease fighting w/ the bathroom scrub I now make, I may slash a bit of sunlight in the sink or tub because of the lemon fresh smell.

    I've added ginger to a box of baking soda and it smells as good as any airfreshener, and used it as carpet fresh too. My sister likes to boil cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger in water. It adds humidity in the winter and people come in and say how good it smells and think she's been baking.

    I get terrible allergy symptoms to vinegar as well. Ron loves pickles, but he has to keep the jar away from me and close the lid immediately.


    Jeanne
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

    Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

  8. shirl517

    shirl517 New Member

    I got magic erasers to clean up tub and
    most everything. It worked great and
    no fumes. Have you tried them?
  9. kat-E

    kat-E New Member

    Does the Borax/ baking soda leave any residue? Because of the pain I am in while doing this, I don't want to add more steps thereby creating more work for myself?

    Is Borax harmful to children or pets?
  10. Sheila1366

    Sheila1366 New Member

    I think you can find it online.I buy it at the health store.An excellent cleaner.
  11. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    I know a lot of people with MCS tolerate Borax, but it makes me very ill. I think it depends on your own sensitivity level, and the residue does need to be cleaned away. Here's information from Green Consumer's website.

    Jan

    Summary:

    Borax's cleaning ability is high. However, since its ability to kill microorganisms is weak, it should not be considered an effective disinfectant. Under normal conditions, acute or chronic toxicity concerns are minimal, although children should be protected from exposure. Gloves should be used during cleaning to avoid contact with broken skin, and inhaling borax dust should be avoided. Because borax converts to boric acid in water, municipalities experiencing boron overload in their sewage or waste water treatment plants should not consider recommending borax as an alternative. Some animal studies have prompted concern that borax is a human reproductive toxin.


    Health:

    Ingesting borax can cause irritability, anemia, skin inflammation and lesions, hair loss, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death. Potentially lethal doses from borax ingestion are one teaspoon for infants, two for children, and five for adults. The most significant toxicity concerns for borax center around ingestion poisoning and its reproductive toxicity through ingestion. While borax has not been shown to cause cancer or mutations, some animal studies have prompted concerns that it may be a human reproductive toxin, and the California EPA is currently evaluating it for possible consideration as a reproductive toxin under Proposition 65. Borax's conversion to boric acid in water prompts concerns for dermal absorption through broken skin, especially among sensitive infants and children.