Looking For People in the Grand Rapids, MI Area

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tannat, Apr 28, 2003.

1. tannat

tannat New Member

I'm trying to find some recommendations for Dr.s in the Grand Rapids, MI area. I'm having trouble finding ones that accept Priority Health. I have already checked the Dr. referral page on this site, and they don't take my insurance.

If there is anyone here from this area, I would appreciate any help I can get!

Tanna
  2. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I too am looking for a CFS/FM Doc in G.R. Mi area. I have been here for a year and have no luck so far. My primary care Doc said last week he is going to make some calls and try to find a Dr here who can help me. I hope he calls soon. Any one else?

Abi
  3. RedB

RedB New Member

I am from down by the Indiana State Line, but my brother likes a doctor from over in East Lansing, which isn't toooo far from both of you. (I have to travel an hour in the OTHER direction to get to my doc).

If you're interested, I could get some information for you.

My e-mail addy is: beldorth@triton.net

Kathy
  4. RedB

RedB New Member

Don't forget that Internal Medicine doctors and Neurologists can sometimes be just as informed as Rheumatologists about our illnesses. You might want to check some of them out, too.

Kathy
  5. tannat

tannat New Member

Abi,
    I am seeing a PT tomorrow so I will see if he knows whats around here. My primary doesn't know anything about FM so I think I will be looking for a new one of those too! Let me know what your dr. finds :)

Kathy,
    I will e-mail you later about the info. I have a million things going right now and just popped into my office so I could call my hubby dirty names in private... yea, it's one of those days!...

Tanna
  6. tannat

tannat New Member

Good news!!!!!i went to the West Michigan Rehab clinic today and saw Dr Rahimi. I thought he was just going to do some physical therapy, but he will be dealing will all my care and meds now. He is VERY knowleable about FM/MPS ect..He was very good at listening, explained everything, and when I said something hurt he BELIEVED ME!!!!

He looked me in the eyes and told me that if I said I was in pain, then he believed I was in pain. He offers everything from traditional meds to vitamins, minerals ect..

He is going to start wiht water therapy, myofascial tissue mobilizations, message, ultrasound (has anyone had this done?), soft tissue mobilization, and some basic exercises. He added neurontin and celebrex to my meds (effexor and elavil) I questioned the celebrex since it is something for arthritis?, but he says he has had some success as far as pain management with it.

I was jsut happy that someone (a Dr.) actually took me seriously and is willing to work with me and let me have a say in my treatment!

Tanna
  7. Hocking

Hocking New Member

Walkotten Wellness Center, Muskegon, Michigan
  8. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I am glad you found someone who listens to you. I was about to recommend Beals Institute on the west side Lansing if that isn't too far for you. They have two rheaumatologists and 4 nurse practioners. One of the NP's focuses primarily on FM and CFS. Good luck with your new clinic.

Betsy2
  9. Solstice

Solstice New Member

I'm happy for you. Sounds like a great doctor. What type of doc is he, and where is this clinic???

Thanks,

Solstice.

BTW, hocking, how long have you been seeing Walkotten? Do you have CFIDS or FMS or both?
  10. cammiegibson

cammiegibson New Member

I am going to Dr. Daniel Kennedy, I have Priority too, He accept it. His number is 252-1600, his office is by the Ball park off of West River Drive. I Like him.

Camille
  11. tannat

tannat New Member

His name is Dr.Rahim from the West Michigan Rehabilitation Clinic. He is a DO, but specializes in sports and rehab medicine. I really liked what he had to say, and how much time he took with me. The Clinic has a web site, and it tells a bit about him and his philosophies towards pain management. He told me that with the advances and knowledge of today, there is no reason anyone should suffer from our kind of pain.

Now I jsut need to find a new primary dr. I would like to stay where I am because the rest of my family goes there. They do have an internal med Dr., maybe I should make an appointment to see him.

Tanna