Looking for simple explanation of difference FM & Myofascial Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kat_in_Texas, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I may be dense as wood today, but I can't quite distinguish the difference between fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain. They sound the same to me. Are trigger points in CMP the same as the trigger points in FM? Are the treatments different? Can you have CMP without FM, or vice versa?

I'm trying to get some info together to take to my PCP, and I wanted to discuss this with him but don't want to sound dumb. I think I can safely say I've failed at that (the sounding dumb part!) ... sigh.

My brain fog is unreal today, forgive me!

Kat
  2. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Kate,
    My FM started out as CMP. CMP is a localized verrsion of FM. Example mine was initially only in my back and neck but then the pain ect.. began to spread and I responded to all 18 tender points that they use for diagnosis. From what I understand they very much overlap. Most would say with FM it is tender points that when pressed don't refer pain immediately to other areas. however I do have a few of these places that are active at different times. I too would refer you to the book by Devin Starlanyl called "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascia Pain A survival manual" she has a chapter called "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain: The Double Whammy" . It gives a good and understandable explantion. It's been a while but seems to me she had a web site with an excert about this, you might try searching her name or the book title.
    I would think your Dr, could give you a good explantion, you would not sound dumb asking and you would know what you are dealing with. My Rhumy seperates them to some degree but my pain DR. sees them as part of a continum on the same line -disorders fo the fascia but in different place on the line. Sort of like there are headaches but along the headache line is everything from tension headaches to migraines to spinal headaches.
    Hope this does not confuse you. Treatments are very similiar. Accupressure can be helpful for trigger points but not so helpful for fibro tenderr points (just my experience0
    Good luck
    Cosmoo
  3. zoose

zoose New Member

I am currently reading Fibromyalgia written by Don Goldenberg. He had a slightly different definition that he uses. He call it FM when the joint pain/mucle pain in all four quadrants of the body. He called it CMP when the pain was more localized, i.e. limited to one section of the body. He uses the same 18 points for diagnosing both.

It is an interesting book. He is the head of Rheumatology at Newton-Wellesley Hospital and Professor of Medicine at Tufts University. He got into the field because his wife got FM 30 odd years ago when there was no such diagnosis.

Take care,
    zoose