looking for skin advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hey all!

I am super sensitive and super dry. Dry eyes, mouth, and skin. I also share the weak splitting nails issue that many of you have mentioned. I use perscriptives make-up and dermalogica lotion for my face. I still seem to react to everything and have very dry skin. I feel like I'm aging ahead of my time.

Does anyone have any product recommendations or treatments that might help me out.

Thanks,
    sofi
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had really good luck with the Cetaphil CREAM (not the lotion, but the cream in a jar). It was recommended to me by my dermatologist for my dry and sensitive skin. My husband has even used it--he works outside a lot in the winter and his skins gets really dry and wind-burned.

For my dry, splitting nails, I have been taking the Wal-Mart brand of Gelatin capsules daily. It takes a few months to notice a difference, but they have helped by nails by 100%!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. shelbo

shelbo New Member

For very dry skin (I'm assuming it's your face you're talking about) Dr. Hauschka rose cream is the best you can get I think (as long as you are ok with plant ingredients/ botanicals etc as it has a very high rose oil content). You can buy a little sample of it for £3 in the UK...full price is £16 for 30ml but a little goes a long way. I have also found Jurlique Day Care Face Cream very helpful..again lots of plant extracts but immensely moisturising. If you use toner, STOP! Just dampen a cotton pad or two with tepid water and remove residual cleaners that way...way may effective, gentle and cheaper too!! For a cleanser I use (all over my face) Kiehl's Supremely Gentle Eye Makeup Remover (hope I'm still ok with it...they just changed the formula and it took me two years to find a non-irritating eye make up remover!)....Kiehl's do sample, so ring your nearest counter. When using it on my eyes I apply it to damp cotton wool first as I find it too oily otherwise!

Instead of Prescriptives make up have you considered a mineral makeup eg Jane Iredale? It is very good...I use the pressed since the loose goes everywhere when you try to apply it and it irritated my eyes for that reason. the pressed is a little more expensive but goes on like a dream with a cosmetic sponge. It is touted as being ok for post-laser skin, dry skin, oily skin etc as the ingredients are inert minerals. You only need a little bit and you don't need a lot of moisturiser under it. What's more, it provides a natural sunblock of about spf17!

Don't use overly warm water on your face or eyes or the rest of your body as it is drying!

Up the water intake to 3 litres a day (the natural sort with no strange flavouring, sweeteners etc) and think about taking a fish oil supplement or if you dislike that, flaxseed oil! Incorporate soome oil-rich healthy foods into your diet too: oily fish like mackerel, salmon, sardines; avocadoes; olive oil etc. Organic milk and eggs also contains moderate levels of omega 3 oils.

If your skin is very dry and it hasn't always been you could have a slight allergy to the makeup or moisturiser you're using now. Or you could have seborrheic dermatitis where the skin is actually fairly oily but the oil dries on the surface of he skin causing what appears to be dryness and inflammation (it gives the impression of dry, flaky skin that also feels a little slimy...the temptation is always to add moisturiser but it actually feeds the problem). I have this and was advised after cleansing my face with a mild cleanser to rinse in tepid water 30 times...this is a natural exfoliator and then moisturise once. Your skin may feel tighter for the first few days but bear with it....at least a week till you're sure it's absolutely not working for you.

Drinking extra water, adding healthy oils to your diet and more fruit and veg (and cutting right back on the sugar which fuels inflammation as do saturated fats in red meats and fast food) will help, I think. It should also really help your eyes!! There is a supplement called HydroEye (I think that's the name...do a web search) which is aimed at dry eye. You do have to take it for a while before you see results.

Stress reduction and better sleep will help because relaxation and deep sleep is restorative...easier said than done though, eh? :) Try to get a little fresh air every day!

BTW, what makeup can you use on your dry eyes...I'd love to know?

PS Hope you get this message as it was originally posted a while back...just saw it and hoped I could help...

Sorry if you already know a lot of it!

Shelbo :)
  4. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Have you had your thyroid checked? These all could be symptoms of underactive thyroid. I can always tell when I need a tweak in my Synthroid, because finger nails split and crack and my hair lacks the usual body I have in my hair. Cetaphil is what my dermatologist has me use too and it works! And oddly enough if I concentrate on using hand lotion (not body lotion) on my hands it helps my skin on my hands (imagine that?)

Good Luck,
    Nancy
  5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I've tried many expensive and fancy brands of moisturizer but my favourite is a Wal-Mart brand and very inexpensive. It's called Simply Basic Luscious Body Moisturizer, Nut with Shea butter (it smells like cookies, mm-mm). I also have sensitive skin and I've had no adverse reaction to this product. God bless, Anne Theresa
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You can try all sorts of creams, and you have, but they will only give you temporary topical relief. Your underlying problem is lack of essential fatty acids (EFA), aka essential oils. those are technical terms for the good fats.

I take salmon oil, but many use flax, and if you are menopausal then primrose oil may be a good choice too. It depends on which omega you lack, the 3, 6 or 9. Another great choice, but pricier than flax (the cheapest), and salmon oil, is hemp seed oil, Hemp is the only one that contains a balacned ratio of omega 3, 6 & 9.

I seem to lack the 3, which salmon oil has, so if I take anything else then I dry up like a prune. Salmon oil has also been known to help w/ depression and has the added bonus of having lots of natural vit. D, which is the sunshine vitamin and we don't get in the winter.

If you are sensitive to supplements, you can get your omegas by eating lots of raw nuts and peanuts and even trail mix. ou can also get lots more olive, sunflower and canola oil in your diet by cooking w/ it and making easy homemade salad dressings w/ it. Just use a cold pressed (not hydrogenated) oil w/ lemon or vinegar, balsamic vinegar is esp. yummy and fragrant, and whatever herbs and garlic you like. And no you won't gain weight, it will actually take weight off you and reduce your cholesterol.

Oh, last note, get the hydrogenated oils out of your diet if you eat foods w/ them. Usually packaged and frozen foods are the culprits, but you can find good products w/out them. Canada is going to ban them, so thank goodness more products are being made and loudly labelled w/out the hydrogenates. Hydrogenates will age you faster than anything, they dry your skin becasue they rob the good omega oils from your system and they can constipate you too.

Jeanne

7. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Emu oil is excellent for the skin. Contains Silica and EFA's.

Also, a good thing is ingesting silica gel. I take about 1tsp a day. Silica is a major component of collagen which is needed for healthful young looking skin. It's also very good for your digestive system.

Also, make sure you're getting enough B vitamins.

And get your thyroid and other hormone levels checked.
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

This is for your face, relatively inexpensive, and you can find it at most Drug stores such as Longs, Walgreens.

The Cetaphyl lotion is great for the rest of you, especially with dry skin.

Also, it helps to take a little Flax oil internally every day.

Hope this helps.

Laura
  9. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

Complex 15 is AWESOME!! A dermatologist recommended it to me a long time ago for dry, flaky skin on my face. I had a skin "emergency" the day before my wedding when I used Clearacil on some pimples and woke up and my face was peeling. So I made a dash to Wal-Greens to get some Complex 15 and it saved the day!!! Yeahh!! It is great.
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Wow! A lot of good advice. I am definitely going to incorporate more essential oils, etc. in my diet. Along with other things. I do think the thyroid is at play but I'll know more when the test results are in. Also, some very good counsil on the lotions. I have to do something or I'll dry up to nothing.

Thank you everyone,

Sofi
  11. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

The climate can get super dry here so I need a good cream. I like Gardener's Dream Cream. It is a natural alternative to cortisol cream. I would not use it on my face with the exception of my lips. I used it on hands and body parts.

It can be found by search of this three word phrase.

100% non-toxic, environmentally friendly non-GMO ingredients and no Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Active Ingredients:

Tea tree - is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral, helps to support the immune system.

Arnica - is a natural herbal remedy effective for relief of joint pains and bruises, also used homeopathically.

Lavender - is an excellent skin cell regenerator, has antiseptic properties to help heal infection, and is effective in helping to heal burns, minor cuts and wounds.

Peppermint - relieves inflammation, indigestion, sinus and lung congestion, itching, insomnia, shock, and can help with lack of focus.

Rosemary - stimulates circulation, relieves congestion, sore muscles, improves memory, confidence; balances mind and body.

Eucalyptus - helps clear congestion, infections, acne, insect bites; increases energy.

Cinnamon - helps with infections, indigestion, congestion. An aphrodisiac, useful for fatigue and depression.