Looking for some help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dan0248, Sep 29, 2006.

1. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

Has anyone out there ever applied for help from the Veteran Administration about these DD's.
  2. misskoji

misskoji Member

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Don't know if I can be of much help as I'm not a Vet.
    However, do you have access to a V.A. Hospital near
    home? I'd talk to the V.A. people or Post near you
    an inquire. My Vet friends out here have never been too
    happy with the "attention" they receive from the V.A.
    Hosp. here! They are still denying the Agent Orange
    Thing aren't they? Gulf War (I) no illnesses from
    that either now?? Ya may be better off trying to go
    for another Medical source if ya can!

Good luck Dano, keep in touch, OK?
    MRDAD
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Hi, Dan,

Yes, I am treated very well at the VA, both hospital and outpatient clinic!

No, they don't really "recognize" or confirm such things as FM and/or CFS, but after 15 years of it, I sent in several records from sick call visits I had made for mysterious visits back in 77-80, and got 100% disability 20 years after I got out of Army.

Do you have a disability percent of any amount? The VA now is seeing vets by the score; the clinics are full. They have taken very good care of me. It's important to tell them your symptoms; I think there's a checklist on this site.

They won't say "Oh, that's FM or CFS" but they will send you to every specialty clinic to follow you for them, and take lots of blood tests that usually come up normal at first, but over time, things begin to show up: thyroid problems, sleep problems (meds); maybe fatty liver; and they also do great cancer screenings.

Go to your nearest clinic or hospital and to the Benefits office. That's the place to start. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Neuropsychiatric testing should be requested; it shows many brain problems. Do not be afraid to go to their shrinks; they are most helpful with sleep problems, and depression (start very low on all meds; we are very sensitive to them!)

I hope I have helped. If you have any questions of me, put "findmind" in title or body of post; I'll find it easily.

Good luck to you. Be patient with them; they are flooded with troops coming back from Irag and Afganistan, and are very busy in the clinics.

Many are affiliated with medical teaching hospitals, so try not to have July-Aug appts; new docs are training. Just call and reschedule appts for later in year.

There's always hope!
    findmind

6. findmind

findmind New Member

Bump for Dan, please

thanks

findmind