Looking for some reviews for good litterbox

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Jan 11, 2009.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm tired of our open kitty litter boxes. They make a mess scratching and playing in them.

Do any of you use closed ones, or the self cleaning ones??

Which ones work and which type, brand should i avoid??

Thanks to all you kitty lovers!!

I love my snuggakitty, who woke me up at 6 this morning scratching on the closet door where i keep the cat food.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I have brother and sister cats, and I got hooded litter boxes as my male cat is a professional excavator and any day he's going to hit China. I decided to get those plastic desk mats that go on the floor around desks at workplaces, and put those mats in the litter box area. It makes cleaning up, and disfinfecting all around the litter boxes very easy and you're not ruining carpet or floors.

My female cat, his sister thinks her brother is a pig. If he went in the litter box and then she decided to go, she would cry because she wanted clean litter boxes even at 2:00 AM. This was a problem and she began urinating on the towels in front of the clothes washer. The vet checked her out, no problems, so they said it was a problem at home.

I tried her with a different type of litter box and her brother jumped right in and tinkled immediately like he was marking it---what a brat and the female cried. I had no place to hide a litter box for her. So I got puppy training pads and just touched a pad to a towel she had soiled, then put the pad in the litter box area. She went over and tinkled on the dog training pad. I praised her so much. Eventually she pooped on the pad too and I praised her for that. When I see her go or see a dirty pad, I pick it up, dispose of it and put clean ones down--it's really easy. My female cat is now so happy that she doesn't have to use her brother's "pig stys" (the litter boxes). And both are content and he stays with the hooded litter boxes and she stays with the dog training pads.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I only have one cat, but I really got tired of the open box. I got one with a top on it, but it really didn't change the situation.

Eventually (as a present to myself, back when I was employed!), I got a Litter Robot. You can do a search for it and find their web site. It's been a couple of years now.

The first week or so was really funny. My cat would sit patiently outside it after she'd done her business and wait for The Show, watching it go around and come back clean. Then she'd inspect it (setting off the timer again), and watch it again.

The drawer where all the waste goes is easy to pull out and clean, unless your cat takes to hanging their rear out (using it backwards) like mine did. Then you have to pull out and dispose of the bag AND scrub the drawer down.

A couple of times a year I take the 'ball' outside and hose/scrub it down.

It has really cut down on the cat box odor in the house.