Looking for someone who knows more about drugs than I do!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blast, Aug 21, 2002.

1. blast

blast New Member

I need some help!
    Generally I know most everything about perscription drugs that I don't need to ask. (My best friend is a Pharmacist)
    However, we are stumped!
    We are looking for a drug Vicodin, or hydrocodone, but without the tylenol. I realize Vicodin is a common drug, but I am having a hard time finding it without the tylenol, or it could be with aspirin.
    My hubby, since his last big almost deadly, hospital stay, found his liver enzymes to be highly elevated. Since being off the Vicodin, it has improved, but all the other pain meds they have tried are not helping or having way too many side effects.
    Any help here is appreciated :)
    Blast
  2. blast

blast New Member

I need some help!
    Generally I know most everything about perscription drugs that I don't need to ask. (My best friend is a Pharmacist)
    However, we are stumped!
    We are looking for a drug Vicodin, or hydrocodone, but without the tylenol. I realize Vicodin is a common drug, but I am having a hard time finding it without the tylenol, or it could be with aspirin.
    My hubby, since his last big almost deadly, hospital stay, found his liver enzymes to be highly elevated. Since being off the Vicodin, it has improved, but all the other pain meds they have tried are not helping or having way too many side effects.
    Any help here is appreciated :)
    Blast
  3. Gail8899

Gail8899 New Member

Is hydrocodone plus ibuprofen. Hope that helps.

...Gail
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have you tried the website; medscape.com , they are pretty good and easy to read.

Just might have what you are looking for, and you could check the other posters recommendation too.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

These are brand names for hydrocodone & aspirin according to my perscription guide:
    Lortab ASA
    Panasal 5/500
    Damason-P
    Hope this helps your hubby!
    Good Luck
    Sandy
  6. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

why not simply protect the liver??

I have to do this. I have been on vicodan for well over 20 years now. At one time I was taking many of them per day. Today, I take 1@HS for my RLS.

But when my liver failed; I turned to Milk Thistle Extract!
    After 29 days, mine was back to normal and since the regular use of it; I have excellent liver function.
    Here is a little about it.
    Jackie F

BTW--IMPORTANT!!! He WILL feel kind of crappy at first, while the toxins leave his body. I felt real crummy for the first 3 days and now don't 'feel' anything.

Milk thistle is a natural liver detoxifier that contains a powerful compound called silymarin, which has been found to defend the liver from many industrial toxins such as carbon tetrachloride, and more common agents like alcohol. Pro Health's Milk Thistle Complex includes Choline and Inositol to promote fat and cholesterol metabolism, and Vitamin C and E for improved antioxidant protection.
    Contains the potent extract silymarin for natural liver support

Provides potent antioxidant protection

Promotes cleansing of toxic agents from the body

The U.S. National Library of Medicine has catalogued more than 300 scientific studies of milk thistle and its active compounds. One study at a liver pathology institute in France discovered milk thistle’s two main actions. First, it helps decrease the conversion of the carbon tetrachloride into more toxic substances, and secondly, milk thistle acts as a potent antioxidant that inhibits these toxic compounds from damaging healthy liver cells. In the experiment, milk thistle extract allowed only half of the expected damage to occur to liver cells.
    It’s hard to overstate the importance of the liver to our general health. The second largest organ in the body after the skin, it processes all nutrients, toxins, drugs, and any other substances entering the body through the intestines, lungs, or skin. The liver is responsible for detoxifying poisons, including the natural toxins in food, as well as synthetic chemical substances in food, water, and air. It helps promote balanced blood fat and sugar levels, and is essential to virtually every aspect of metabolism. It has been called the third most important organ in the body, after the brain and the heart.

Heavy metals and drugs can cause liver toxicity and damage through the production of free radicals. Silymarin has also been shown to promote strong and healthy liver tissue. Pro Health's Milk Thistle Complex is the right choice for anyone looking for a complete liver support formula. Optimize your liver health and further cleanse your body by taking this effective detoxifier.

For product questions,
    click here to chat online with a Product Advisor.

Product #: PH28

Sugg. Retail: $15.50
    Our Price: $9.95
    Special:
    Buy 2 for $19.90,
    Get 1 Free

DSP Price: $6.57

(D.S.P.)
    Discount Shopper Program
    Information, --click here--
    Save up to 50% on regular purchases.

Email This Page to a Friend

Ingredients:

Click Here to Enlarge
    For product questions,
    click here to chat online with a Product Advisor.

Quantity: 60 Capsules
    Daily Use: 1-4 Capsules daily with meals.
    Pill Size: Medium Capsule
    Shelf Life: 2 years
    Inactive Ingredients: Silica, calcium sulfate, cellulose and magnesium stearate.
    Initial Source: Silybum marianum-Milk Thistle plant.
    Processing: Milk thistle seeds are harvested in late summer, extracted by methyl alcohol, filtered, evaporated,
    Contains No: Yeast, dairy, corn, soy, wheat, sugar, starch, salt, preservatives, artificial color, flavor, or fragrance.
    Contraindications: Extremely high dosages may cause loose stool.
    Drug Interactions: None known

7. TheGlassButterfly

TheGlassButterfly New Member

http://www.rxlist.com/ is the best (my opinion only!) website for pharamacological information that exists ANYwhere! Enter "hydrocodone" on the main page and you'll find a LONG list of brand names and generics.

Funny thing: my best friend is a pharmacist also - and she didn't know about this site. And not quite so "funny", when my primary physician prescribed a medication -just a few months ago- which didn't sound to be "right" for me, I looked it up on www.rxlist.com and gave him the clinical pharmacology information on it. He had NO idea of the possible side effects listed for this particular drug. THAT one, I am NOT taking - because of the help received from rxlist.com!

However, I have taken Lorcet Plus for over 8 years now (which is why I recognized the hydrocodone in your post) and the "Plus" is for the Acetaminophen. When I questioned the Acetaminophen- or "Tylenol", back in the beginning, another pharmacist friend said that the combination of the two, hydrocodone AND ACETAMINOPHEN, made the hydrocodone itself more effective than without the Acetaminophen.

I was originally prescribed the Lorcet Plus by my oncologist for cancer pain but with the problems following chemo & radiation -added to over 35 years of FMS and 4 years of CFIDS added on to the heap, my primary physician is continuing with the Lorcet Plus. With over 8 years of the added Acetaminophen - and enough chemo drugs to kill a normal person :) I've had no problem with the Lorcet Plus so far.

Anyone wanting prescription medication information should try www.rxlist.com. You'll find 99% of your answers and 'way more information than you'll ever WANT to know!

I stumbled onto the website "by accident" a long time ago and go there immediately when I have any questions. It IS the very best.

Hope this helps!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2002]
  8. blast

blast New Member

Thank you to all for your help.
    I was having a heck of a time, now I have some avenues to go down.
    Jackie, he has a terrible back, three surgeries to date, and is on kidney dialysis due to his diabetes. He has to sit for his treatment four hours every other day and it is very painful. He really needs something for pain as over the counter stuff didn't work and other narcotics perscribed didn't work. Will mention the milk thistle to his dr to make sure it won't interfere with the other 15 meds he is on. Thanks for the help I'd hate to see his liver fail. His mother died of liver failure, so am happy you got your situation under control.
    Blast
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

also has some very funny jokes, I take them to my Pharmacist form time to time. They get a big Laugh out of some of them.

It is a great site to get information about Prescriptions, glad to know someone else uses it too and finds it very Helpful.

I always check into my Meds for side effetcs so that I don't waste so much money. I still end up once in awhile with a Med not being effective, but at least I made sure it was the right med for the right condition. Can't rely on other peoples knowledge alone. It pays to be safe. I do have pretty sharp Pharmascist where I do business, but every once in awhile I get one that's Subing, and Oh boy, thoes are the ones I watch out for.

The Vicoprofen is 7.5 hydrocodone and 200 of ibuprofen.
    the ibuprofen tho is hard on the stomach, my brother has been on it for a long time and has Bleeding problems now.

So a big jar of Milk Thistle is a safe back-up for me, I take 3 Vicodins (750) a day and so far my blood tests come out ok and I haven't had any problems.

Finding a Pain med that works is rough sometimes, but once you find one it will be wonderful to have Pain relief.
    I went 3 years without any Pain meds and I sat in a chair all day so that I wouldn't hurt when I moved around. No way to live that's for sure.
    Just thought of something, I was given Synalog and that has asprin in it, it sent me to the ER, I'm allergic to asprin, so it does pay to check out the ingredements. (sp?)

Good luck hope you find what will help.
    Sincerely,
    kredca4
  10. blast

blast New Member

Is synalog hydrocodone W/aspirin?
    Thanks if u know!
    Blast