Looking to file for SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenn1980, Apr 9, 2007.

1. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

I just don't know how to start. We NEED my income from work and cannot wait for SSD benefits to kick in. L-rd knows how long it'll take, anyway. I cannot be without income! I am SO sick right now and desperately need a very long, if not permanent, break from work. I don't know where to begin. In addition to both CFIDS & FM, I have a long and well-documented history of depression. I don't know if that would "help" my case at all, but I can't afford to go without income for ANY period of time. I'm so desperate for help. I can no onger tolerate being this ill, this fat, and continuing to work through it all. I *might* have a bit of energy to exercise if I weren't busting my ass at an extremely high stress job to pay the bills. "Desperation" is putting it lightly at this point.

I am literally hopeless and so ANGRY about what these illnesses have stolen from me. I was going to be an attorney (was accepted to some law schools) and get at least a master's if not a PhD in psychology, to boot. I wanted to do research and to provide legal aid for people with disabilities. All those dreams are gone, never to return. I'm going nowhere. I could've been something big and all that is gone.
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hhi jenn!
    sorry but you really need to be off work for 6 mo. at least for it to happen.
    however--if you have all of your records in order, lots of dr. support, esp. psych, and everything is perfect--please research ALOT first, you could very well be accepted right off the 1st try and not have to wait for the hearing (YEARS!!)
    ss rules require you to be off work, or unable to perform "substantial gainful activity" for a period that will be 12 months or terminal, please check ssa.gov as i am a little foggy here.
    are their any family members to help you thru the 6 months, or have you checked gov't agencies? if you plan to do this--start stockpiling any money, etc. now in prep, and research this site, ssa rules, a site called "ssdradio.com", etc.
    good luck---L
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I posted this for you on another thread:

Does your employer have any kind of short term disability leave you could take? Do you have sick leave accrued? Both can be used while you're waiting for SSDI approval. Then you can take a leave of absence under the Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Is there anyone you can borrow money from? Or do you have any assets (like a house or 401(k) plan) that you could borrow from?

I really feel for you. It does not sound like you should be working. I hope you will find a way to through this.