Looks like we're moving to Florida

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fox3060, Jun 1, 2006.

1. fox3060

fox3060 New Member

Hi guys, it's been a while since i've posted, but i've been keeping tabbs ;)

After all our concerns, pros, cons, debates, so on and so forth, my wife and i decided to make a week long trip to Florida (Tampa/Sarasota/St. Pete area) to see if we'd truely enjoy it, enough to live there long enough for me to finish school (2yrs) and possibly for my wife to attend acupuncture school....

She has been dealing with FM for a few years now and i've kinda always felt that the change in climate from Oregon to Florida would be benificial, I know everyone is different but while we were down there it seemed like she was who she was back in high school. i noticed a huge difference in her energy level, mood, spirit and all around self. we've been going back and forth over this move for some time, and now i think she's more excited to move then i am...!

I'm soo happy that we're going to give this a shot, but at the same time, I'm still really concerned for her well being. we tried to visit a support group in saint petersburg but we missed the meeting by a few days. this goes out to all you locals in the St. Pete area, if you can provide me with any info on groups, meetings, activities, doctors, anything at all that would be helpful in helping her get to know the area, it would be greatly appreciated.

who knows, maybe we could meet up some time at one of the cool beaches, we love meeting new people, especially when we have things in common. thanks guys and take care!!

T
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I live south of there on the Gulf Coast and do love it here. I feel so much better here than I did in CO but we are all different. I also noticed that when I vacationed here, I felt so much better.

Love, Mikie
  3. bluemoon1monday

bluemoon1monday New Member

I wish you and your wife well on your upcoming move. I am a native Floridian. You can not beat the winters in Florida. But I have found with my FM, the summers are killers because of heat,humidity and of course, those dreaded hurricanes.

I do have to retreat to the mountains of Georgia for the hottest part of the summers. But I do not live on coast so maybe it will be o.k. for y'all. They are predicting the rains to start now and last through October so that cools things down a bit.

I do not know of any doctors in your area. I actually see a neurologist in Georgia.

Again the best to both of you!

Bluemoon
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I actually do better with the humid heat. It helps my joint pain from osteoarthritis. Yes, we are headed into the rain and hurricane season. Unfortunately, the rain doesn't really cool things down much like in other areas of the country. When I lived in CO, rain storms could easily drop the temperatures 10 degrees but here, it only drops a few degrees. I do think native Floridians react differently than those new to Florida. I remember when I moved here in July; my handyman, who was a native, said, "Isn't this weather wonderful. My wife and I are sleeping with the windows open." I had the AC on every night or I would wake up dripping in sweat. I still have to run the AC at night. Even though I've acclimated, I don't think I'll ever be able to sleep with the windows open in the summertime.

It's hot and humid here for 5-6 months. The first year is the worst but after that, most people acclimate. Our winters are to die for. When others are shoveling snow, we are enjoying balmy breezes with all the windows open. Only problem is that is when everyone up North decides to descend on us, so roads are very congested. I welcome our visitors, though, because they keep our taxes low. We have no state income tax and cars are cheap to license here.

I hope you love it here as much as I do.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2006]
  5. TFD

TFD New Member

I moved to Tampa almost 16 years ago from WV. While I miss the mountains, I LOVE TAMPA BAY!

Good luck!
  6. gemgail2004

gemgail2004 New Member

Hi: i have lived in fl. central for 5 years now and i was just drx. last week with fm and everyday i wake hurting and i does ease off a little after a few hours. But good luck to you and if you would like to know more about fl. e-mail me at [email address removed as per rules] God Bless

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are not allowed to post our e-addresses here. You can read the rules next to where you log on. I know it's hard when you first join a board to know what is allowed and what is not.

Love, Mikie