Looooove My New Eyeglasses!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I worked, I usually wore my contacts and would take them out when I got home. I've never looked particularly good in glasses and liked wearing my contacts. I did like my old glasses pretty well but just liked the freedom of contacts better, especially when at work.

I just had my eye exam and it was time to increase my reading Rx. Old age! I wear progressive lenses and they are expensive so I decided to get new frames instead of paying a lot to put new lenses in the old frames. I need really lightweight frames as heavy ones dig into the skin on my nose and eventually give me headaches.

My eye doc just got in some European frames called, Try Change. The lenses are rimless, high-impact plastic. They are held together at the clear plastic nose piece and side pieces by clear plastic screws. They weigh next to nothing. What is cool is that you can change out the nose piece cover and side pieces with different colors. I don't like the look of anything breaking up the front of my glasses, so I just change out the side pieces. I got several different colors so I can usually find something to go with whatever I'm wearing. You can also get clear nose and side pieces, as well as basic colors.

I have never been able to wear the trendy rectangular lenses but because everything is clear, these look really good. Also, because they are so light and comfortable, I can wear them all the time. I don't know about all y'all, but it's the little things in life which make the difference for me. When I find something I love, I really get excited.

Love, Mikie
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I too wear progressive lenses (also transitional) and wil be in the market for a new pair soon.

I was wondering, how many different color frames do you get with the prescription? Also, do you think they are delicate or sturdy? My last pair were totally frameless, a la Sarah Palin, and were way too delicate for me--eventually snapped in half and could not be repaired.

I think I just might try these on at my optometrist appointment. The concept is quite unique!!

[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2010]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Laura, my last frames were titanium and I used to fall asleep wearing them while reading and roll over on them. The optomitrist said not to do that with these new ones. While the lenses are shatter resistant and quite strong, the plastic screws will break if stressed. In fact, I had to learn how to snap the side pieces on and off while holding onto the screws. If people hold the glasses by the lens edges, the screws will eventually snap. They can be repaired fairly easily, though. It takes a bit of doing to learn how to switch out the pieces.

They are priced separately for the lenses and side/nose pieces because the pieces are different prices. So, when you buy them, you pick out the original pieces you want and that determines the price you pay. They run from $45 to $75 per kit which includes the nose piece and side pieces. The $75 piece kits have rhinestones on them. Most of the basic kits are $45. I looked at other frames and found that if I bought the $45 kit, the total cost was about the same as other frames.

Really, I would have been happy with just the black pieces but this is something new and fun and I decided to pick up a couple of colors. I don't get glasses often. I could actually use my old glasses for reading on the Kindle because I've enlarged the print on it. That way, if I fall asleep, no harm done. As much fun as these glasses are, I really got them because they are so lightweight and comfortable. The old ones wrapped around my ears and made sore spots if I wore them too long. That's why I wore contacts at work. These new glasses go straight back over the ears--no sore spots.

Jam, I have a really great eye doc, an OD. He invests in the latest technology which can spot problems years before they threaten eye health. A lot of eye docs are just now touting cameras which can take pics of the back of the eye, including the optic nerve. My doc has had this for years. The pics are on a computer, allowing him to compare from year to year for any changes. On Tues., I am going in for a brand new test for dry eye. This is the first time anyone has had a tool to measure dry eye. I really think it's from my BP meds and allergy meds, but now, I'll know for sure. My tear ducts are fine.

For a while, I had high pressure readings in my eyes but do not have glaucoma. My Mom was the same way. I get the pressure checked to ensure I do not get glaucoma. I am in a Medicare Advantage plan and it pays for everything except the $35 co-pay for appts. Since I pay no monthly premiums, I feel that is fair. Retinal disease runs on Mom's side of the family, so I take really good care of my eyes. Several cousins are nearly blind. I have to pay out of pocket for the contact exam as my plan doesn't cover that. All in all, I usually have a couple of eye appts. a year and replace my glasses every three years or so.

There are a lot of places out there offering cheap glasses. The problem is that they don't always have good eye docs or good equipment. I think it's OK to have an exam from a good doc and ask for the Rx for the glasses and go elsewhere for them. Diseases of the eye aren't always apparent, especially if our need to change our Rx doesn't change often. I think it's important to have a yearly exam, especially if there is a history of eye problems in the family. If one doesn't have insurance, I know it can be costly.

The glasses my doc's office offers aren't cheap but because he took such good care of my Mom and now me, I feel loyal to him. My Mom had just bought expensive glasses a few months before she died. She had very tender skin on her nose, just like I do, and she bought lightweight titanium, rimless glasses. They replaced the lenses with my Rx for me free after she died. I have used them for reading glasses. Again, if I fall asleep wearing them, they don't break.

I know that so many of us have problems with our eyes and glasses aren't always comfortable for us. Really, that is why I posted about these. I would not have bought them just for the "fun factor." It's the comfort which is so important to me. After a few years, I donate my old glasses to a collection point so they can be reused. I may not do that with these because changing out the Rx is changing out everything except the side pieces and nose piece cover.

Well, as usual, I've written "War and Peace" here but did want to respond. Thanks for your interest.

Love, Mikie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I got new glasses last August when I was visiting Georgia. I had to, because the ones I'd had for a yer that were done in Mexico were already scratched etc. I was talking to the opthamalogist, he told me that Europe has better coatings for glasses than the US allowed (needs FDA approval), in turn the US had better coatings than MX... and I think he also said Japan had even better coatings than Europe did! So, I learned something - it was worth the money to have it done in the US at least.

Mikie, if you're interested, my DH helped his Dad control his eye pressure to the point he no longer needed drops.

In recent years, my DH's eye pressure started to go up also, and his eye pressure dropped back to normal as well by following his own advice to his Dad. Minor miracle - well make that major, the eye drops needed are not that cheap from what I remember.

Here's one link about what to take: http://www.agingeye.net/visionbasics/NIHareds.pdf
    There is other info online...
    and elsewhere.
    More vitamin C is the only thing my DH added since he was already taking the supplements cited above. both he and his Dad got results literally within a few weeks - they both returned to their eye doctors to get checked and rechecked.

LOL I like to share "good things" too...

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Actually, my eye pressure went back to normal on its own. It read a bit high on my last exam but I am allergic to fluoride and the doc used non-fluoro drops before he checked it. He said they don't get accurate readings with those drops. Soooo, in three months, I'm gonna suck it up and let him use the fluoro drops. It'll probably be normal. The reaction I have to most fluoride exposure is mild nausea and just not feeling well. Whatever type of fluoride is used in Cipro, however, is deadly to me. I was nauseated the whole time I was on the topical chemo for skin cancer on my face. It contains fluoride. I can brush my teeth OK but I rinse really well.

Strange about the coatings on glasses. These glasses are made in England but the coatings are done here in Miami when the lenses are ground. I always get non-scratch. They wanted me to get the non-glare as well but it's just too expensive for something which doesn't bother me. I use only the silky little cloths when I clean them, so they really don't get scratched up.

Did I mention I'm going up to Atlanta for Thanksgiving? I can't wait. It's been a couple of years since I've gone up there. The kids have been coming down here. For a long time, Andy thought the pool here was mine and he thought it was so nice of me to let other people use it. When I was working, it was more difficult to get away and I was always tired. I'm still tired but, at least, I don't have to worry about the job. I'm loving being retired. I miss my amigos from the store who used to help me learn Spanish. You must be fluent by now. I'm losing everything I learned.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

That's cute about your grandson and the pool! I don't blame them for coming down to FL from Atlanta, it's a great time of the year to be visiting!

Hopefully this Thanksgiving in Georgia will be nice, since we'll be up there too! In fact I hope we have a r-e-a-l-l-y mild winter there because we'll be there for a couple of months.

And... no, I'm not fluent, not by a long shot. I can understand a lot more than I can speak, especially if the conversation is directed at my husband - less pressure then ;) I am so bad, I do not study, what I remember is from when I took 3 years in HS and it helps to read subtitles on english programs LOL. Wish I'd had a reason then to do more, because if I'd immersed then I would've been fairly fluent very quickly.

I am careful as well, that's why I was so puzzled when my made in MX lenses were so scratched after a year's use. From what my eye doctor told me, it is the FDA that is holding up the better coatings for glasses in the U.S., and he's mad about it.

I guess that's why the coating had to be applied in FL even tho your glasses come from overseas. I guess it makes sense, or who knows what we might get if they came from China?!? I don't know what stops the coatings from being used here in MX, seems strange in any case in both countries IMHO that the best isn't allowed in a more timely fashion.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I could be wrong, is that the lenses have to be custom ground and the coatings applied last. Sooooo, the glasses themselves can come from anywhere but it's the technicians, and the coating material, which makes the diff. The glasses have become better over the years than the old ones we used to have. I think it was the old glasses which prompted me to start wearing contacts. They were heavy, uncomfortable, and didn't look good on me. Now, with the titanium and/or plastic, they are really attractive. In fact, if one has rimless clear glasses, it's difficult to tell they are there, especially if one opts for the non-glare coating.

Pentax, where my ex used to work, developed the non-glare technology for their camera lenses. They started a division for coatings for eyeglasses. It was mostly newscasters who used them so the studio lights didn't reflect on the lenses and people could see their eyes. Then, it became popular for people working under harsh lighting. Pentax eventually sold off the division. I don't have any harsh lighting and the glare from the TV doesn't bother me, so I didn't want to add it as it was expensive. These glasses were expensive enough as it is but I think they will last a long time.

I took French in HS and loved it but there isn't much use for it here except for when the Canadians come down from Quebec. Even a few words in French almost make them cry when they hear it. We had a lot of them at the store. We also had employees from Haiti but their patios made them more difficult to understand even though they could understand my French. I may dig out my books and try to keep up in both languages. I got a Wii for exercise inside and got a few games so I may try to keep my brain from deteriorating by playing. I tried a couple of times but I'm soooooo bad at it. Andy will beat the socks off of me when he comes down.

BTW, it was only really cold in GA one year since I've been going up there. Of course, I probably just dodged the cold weather. Good luck to you. Also, BTW, my eye doc graduated from UGA. He is getting side pieces for his specs in the school colors. His optomitrist has side pieces in his NFL team's colors. Perhaps if I attend my 50th (Yikes!) HS reunion, I'll do something with my glasses. I already have purple side pieces and I could probably find small gold decals to add to them. Geez, how shallow can we be :)

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2010]