Lorazepam; desertlass

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Apr 15, 2007.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I saw your post on anther thread and I was wondering what dosage of lorazepam you are on.

I started 0.5 mg, then about 8 months later went up to 1mg at night. Now I am finding that isn't working, but I am afraid to go up again.

Just wondering your experience with it.

Thanks,

Sue in Ontario
  2. desertlass

desertlass New Member

Almost missed your post, there. I am having major insomnia tonight, so I have spent more time reading on here than I should for my personal sanity. And there you were on page 2. So, the first thing I can tell you is that it's not helping my sleep, any... :]

Well, I started lorazepam for a severe back injury about six years ago. The loraz. was for muscle spasm. Anyway, I found that they turned my nervous system way down, say from screaming to just loud background noise, (like going from a rock concert to being at a perpetually noisy party where you can't leave.)

So, I continued with it, because it seemed to work with a low dose of pain reliever better than a high dose of pain reliever alone. And then the chronic FM and CFS pain flared up that year, and now here I am, still on the stuff. I was on 3 mg/day and now am on 2/mg. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be on 1 mg. I don't think it is doing anything for me, and I feel that my tolerance is building.

I have had two experiences now for outpatient procedures and they gave me amounts of Ativan that seemed to frighten THEM! Not good. I would like to go off it, so that if I ever really need it, it will do some good.

If you can consider anything low impact to add to your pain/sleep regimen before you consider increasing, perhaps that's one option.

Some people are opposed to medications on principle. I have no such puritan tendencies, or I should say that I try to keep mine in check. This dd will make people adopt some pretty extreme stances. However, I can't say that I think this is my favorite way of treating my pain or sleep issue long term. I think there might be some better ways. Trust me, when I find out, I will post! I'm basically reading about what has helped others.

I have tried the supplement GABA, but either it is too low of a dosage, or not a good brand, because it doesn't help me, even if I take the full amount all at once.

I'm not so keen on the Valerian/Kava herbal combo, since there have been some bad reports. I would love to know how MUCH valerian and kava people were mixing with their benzos, and if alchohol was involved, but for now, I will be better safe... I personally am trying to taper off. That does NOT mean that I think anyone else should. That's not my place to say.

Hope I helped you. I could probably go on a few more pages about it, but I don't want to repeat things that you might already know. Did you have any other specific questions?

Lisette

3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for the info, Lisette. I appreciate it.

I have read about how addictive it can be, but I never see how much anyone is on.

It really does help me a lot with sleep and occasional daytime anxiety and I would like to keep it handy, but don't want to overdo it.

I am also taking Effexor which has been wonderful for me in many ways.

Again thanks for taking the time.

Sue in Ontario
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

What is Calms Forte? A tablet, or a tea?

I wonder if I can get it in Canada.

Sue