Lorazepam withdrawl?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    My Dr. prescribed Lorazepam for the unexplained (or explained) occasional severe situational anxiety that I go through due to CFIDS/Fibro. I always am very careful to take it only when needed, and usually take only 1/2 of a pill at a time.

I've noticed that when I'm stopping it, I have increasd anxiety and my first thought is to take another dose. Luckily, I've recognized that, and so I don't take any. In a few days the new anxiety dieappears.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seem to me that these withdrawl symptoms coud also be signs of how easy it would be to become addictd when I don't have to be, just to make the anxiety go away, as the med. seems to not only relieve anzxiety temporarily, but seems to cause it, too.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Terry
  2. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Lorazepam is very dangerous for the exact reasons you mentioned. People get confused between withdrawal symptoms and anxiety symptoms. Lorazepam is very addictive. If I'm not mistaken lorazepam is the generic for xanax. Xanax and valium are the very dangerous benzodiazepines. Klonopin which is also a benzodiazepine is not as bad because it is longer acting. However, klonopin also can be abused and it is addictive like the other benzos. Furthermore, withdrawal symptoms are very nasty -- somatosensory hallucinations (i.e. bugs crawling on your skin), etc.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Does tend to enter and then leave on a curve ball. My dh takes it for anxiety and I would love to have him switch to a longer acting substitute and he goes up and down all day this way. It is very effective however for anxiety itself. I must say I feel calmer too on the Sam e I just started as well as it helping with sleep and pain.

Have you tried YOGA calming tea instead???

Love Annie Cromwell
  4. gypsysoul

gypsysoul New Member

most definetely (sp)? say that my dosage has increased from 2mg of ativan to 6 or 8 over a 4 year period. I am losing touch with it.
    I wonder if I could live without it.

Watch out for Ambien too, that one's got me hooked too, but I need them both for my FM.
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Wow! I had no idea. Thanks a lot for the information.
    I've been taing it beause, since I developed Congestive Heart Failure,(my heart is weakened due to CFIDS), sometimes when I'm stressed, my heart reacts before my conscious mind does, so I don't get a chance to control my anxiety before my chest muscles are in spasm.

This happened when a close friend was threatened by her spouse. I thought it was just a muscular reaction at the time, but later I found out that It was a heart episode. And it happened so fast, before I even knew I was upset. I'm good at meditating and self hypnosis, but I cant use them if I don't hve the tme to even realize what is happening.

I wonder if SamE would help with this. Anyone know?

Thanks, again,
    Terry
  6. yeshuasrose32

yeshuasrose32 New Member

Oh my word------ Xanax is HORRIBLE to detox from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I thought that I was actually going through the beginning of menopause-- sweating, nervousness, ect..... You might want to see if she /he is willing, then
    maybe your dr can prescribe klonipin ( same sister family of meds, in the 60's used for seizure disorders)... I am changing from xanax; I went into severe withdrawl when I could not locate my pill bottle ; it was nothing like I had ever been through!!!
    blessings
    Pam
  7. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I take it at bedtime for a good night's sleep. It works.

I don't seem to need it any other time during the day.

Works for me!
    Mini
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have been taking it for sleep for about a year and a half and sometimes during the day for anxiety.

What dose were you taking when you found you had withdrawal symptoms?

I only take 0.5 mg when I go to bed and usually another 0.5 in the middle of the night.

Wish I didn't have to take meds, but it really helps me a lot!

Going for a sleep study soon and I don't know if I will sleep at all if I can't take one.

Sue in Ontario
  9. padre

padre New Member

I take .5 of Xanax four times a day. Sometimes I will break the pills in half to spread out the effect as Xanax does not have as long a halflife as Klonipin or Ativan.

I worried for a long time that I was addicted. My psychiatrist explained that as I have not increased my dose in years that I am dependent and that's not so bad as it is working. I take one of the Xanax with a half of a Klonipin before bed (plus 20 mg. of Evavil). The cocktail has been the same for years and really helps me.

Once when hospitalized, they took me off of it and I crashed. Went right back and leveled out.

My feeling is that it is like being on insulin. I need it to feel well.