Lortabs not helping anymore

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Jan 8, 2011.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have been taking lortab since 2005. I started out taking 4 a day, and now I am up to 8.(10mg). They work ok when the hot-hot, or cold-cold is here, but during those times, I am just in misery most of the time.

My doctor quit her private practice, and gave me enough for 6 months. I am in the process of looking for another doctor, and only have 2 refills left of my pain meds.

My question here is what is next after lortab. I really was scared out of my mind to take the lortab in the beginning, but thank God that I did. As we all know when you hurt bad enough you will do what you need to, to feel better.

Do rheumatologist treat fibro? I have no health insurance, and my hubbys disability isnt much, so I really cant afford to see one, but I am looking anyway. I have been found to be disabled, but have not worked enough to recieve any disability. My husbands SSDI is too much for me to recieve SSI, and medicaid.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Julie
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Some pts see rheumys for FM. The ones I saw weren't worth going back to see tho. I know Pain Mgmt docs are also frequently seen.

I was on Vicodin, Norco and Methadone in one variation or another for 2.5 yrs and had the same problem w having to increase my dosages. You've actually lasted a long time for the amt of doses you've had to increase. Everyone's tolerances develop differently tho.

I ended up getting scared of taking too much Hydrocodone etc and ended up going inpt and detoxing 11 mos ago. My pain level is now probably reduced by 75% without taking anything stronger than Ibuprofen or Tylenol. I would have never believed this to be true...I scoffed when people told me my pain would decrease once my pain receptors recovered, but they were right.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm not preaching at all, just sharing...

Don't let the meds scare you, you are the one in control... But I still vividly remember that panicky feeling of when you're about to run out of meds, it's inevitable that we'll suffer withdrawals and that's a horrible feeling...horrible.

It's just a pain (no pun intended) to find docs that will rx opiates. My PCP rx'd mine, but it was my decision to start and eventually stop taking them. And even after the rough recovery process, I still say I'd take them again if I needed them. I was never an addict, just physically dependent.

So, good luck to you. I have been fortunate to have a great PCP doc. I would truly be lost if he was no longer around to take care of me. Hope it all works out for you.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Are lortabs baclofen? if so u can get them 4rx.com without a script, 25mg tabs. Sounds like your building a tolerence to your meds. Sometimes its good to have another med to turn to for awhile and after a break, the initial med starts to work again for u. This is what i find with sleeping tabs. I also do the same for leg pains i get at night, i swap between lyrica and neurontin.

4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I would like to try darvocet again, but I am seeing all those commercials on TV about law suits over them. I was on them, before I started taking lortabs. As usual I am concerned about taking something new. I have been to the ER before, from taking new meds. I am sensitive to them.

I have tried over 17 different antidepressants, and cant seem to take them at all.

I have gotten off of pain meds before, but that was the darvocet. (my doctors nurse at the time didnt want to give me a refill, nor take the time to ask the doctor if she did in fact tell me that I could take more). Of course it was during the time my hubby was in a coma in ICU for trying to take his own life. Anyway, I weaned myselfe off of them, knowing that I was going to run out. ( needless to say that nurse didnt last long after that). My point, I hope that I dont have to quit taking them, but will slowly wean myself off if I have to.

I just dread the laying in bed all day on 5 heating pads, and my body massager again. I have somewhat of a life, and without, I dont.

I am dreading finding a doctor, because I dont have the cash to give them, just to find out they are not going to do anything for me. Been there, done that! I just pray that God will guide me, like he did the last time. When I finally gave it to him, I found the last doctor I was seeing. I just hope and pray that God will do me the same favor this time around.

I am scared of anything stronger, like I said before, but I know that if that day comes, I will take it. My last doctor said that when the pain gets bad enough, I will even take morphine. (I had that in 1981, and it scared the life out of me). Well see.

bummed out!

5. Straightarrow

Straightarrow New Member

6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I guess when I finally find a new doctor, I will know then what I am going to take. 6 years ago when I found my last doctor, there were not many out there that believed in narcotic pain meds for fibro. Now there are more and more doctors that finally believe it is real, and we need them sometimes.

I hope that anyone on here that prays, will pray with me that God will guide me again to the right doctor. No matter what pain meds I am on, I really want one that believes in fibro, and understands how bad it is.

Thanks, Julie
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

If you stay in the same family of drugs (hydrocodone) Norco would be next. Lortabs at 7.5 mgs, Norco is 10. Norco has less Tylenol in it which is a plus.

My rheumatologist treats me. I really lucked out. He has many Fibro patients, is up on the latest news/research etc. He also is concerned about keeping me out of pain.
    There really is no ceiling to pain meds. Hopefully whatever Dr. you find might consider giving you a long lasting med. You would then take the Norco or whatever for breakthrough pain.

There are LOTS of options so don't let that the fact that the Lortabs not being effective scare you.

Don't give up til you find the right Dr. It makes SUCH a difference!!!