Losing Teeth!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Mar 8, 2006.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

OK, I am now getting ready to lose my 3rd tooth in a matter of months between one another.

I do not understand what is going on. I have very old fillings but all of a sudden they are all starting to go on me. I have had such tooth pain lately, it is driving me crazy.

I am on a lot of meds for fibro, cfs, blood pressure, & ibs so I am wondering if this could have anything to do with it or could it be the fibro.

Any others having trouble with their teeth?
  2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I have had to have 2 extracted recently. I don't know if it is the meds or the fibro that is cuasing it though.

Jake
  3. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

Im sitting here in tears as i came across your posts. i had 2 teeth break off in a couple of weeks. that was last summer. i had about 4 total out last year. tomorrow im having 9 pulled on top and dentures. that scares me so much. i dont know if its the fibro or that my mom took meds(tetracycline) when she was preg with me and ive never had very good teeth. Please have your teeth checked out. dont let yours get this bad. take care

deb
  4. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

Just 5 minutes ago my temporary crown fell out! I have had to get 4 crowns in 2 yrs. I have dental insurance, but they are still very expensive.

I had large fillings I got when I was a child, my dentist has urged me to get crowns,, but I put it off until I had to because my teeth were breaking. The lst one was in Oct, and I had pulpitis, and have never felt pain like that before!

Dang teeth!!

Warmly,
    maggie
  5. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

My dentist is trying to retire to his winery and is trying to get rid of his patients..When pushed he suggested I give my mouth a casein,( milk or cheese) rinse after eating refined starch or suger...Fibre in food also helps.Something to do with breaking down the acidic environment caused by the refined foods Without the acid the decaying bacteria can't function..
    You can't scrub every time you have a carb fix or you will get gum abrasion..I am lactose intolerant but the milk mouth rinse is working o'kay.Along with the rinse i do a thorough brush and floss 2times daily.
    All this virtuousness started when I began losing teeth and had to get a partial dnture..Since the regime I haven't had a decay for a couple of years. Good luck
  6. im losing teeth alot now,and this is what my dentist said about my own case.
    my teeth are very soft,he doesnt know why.he,s also found that the nerve endings in my teeth have died off,turned to mush.he says it must be part of my illness.what isnt says i.

kind regards
    fran
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Medications that cause dry mouth will ruin your teeth.Drink alot of fluids.I hope this helps.

Sheila
  8. jana15

jana15 New Member

My dentist says it's the Fibro! He has a few patients with this illness and says that generally we are presenting with more problems with our teeth than his average patient. He also assured me it's not from lack of care on my part and commented a few weeks ago that mine are lovely and clean. My problem is a constant chipping away, filling (even new ones) falling out but not decay.

I have nightmares about loosing my teeth but don't know what I can do to stop their decline. But then neither does my dentist or my Dr!

I'd be delighted to learn if anyone's come up with a solution.

Cheers Jana
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Maggie~ My soon to be 10 yr old son just went thru that pulpitis. (sp?) I had never heard of such a thing before!! and it was a baby tooth. He was taking more pain pills that week than ever in his life! so it must be painful~

as for Teeth~
    I do think its somehow related to our illnesses.
    It must be. My teeth have gone down hill fast!
    I can't count the fillings,..extractions,root canals/crowns I've had done since being DX with Fibro.
    Not to mention I've grown a fear for dentists.
    Seems like everytime I go they find things that need to be done. I'm so sick of all this!
    your not alone luv2float

hugs
    Tandy

10. skierchik

skierchik New Member

My "Detoxify or Die" book says that is's due to very low levels of "Silicon". This affects hair and nails too.

Here's what the book says, "it affects bone loss too......Silicon, acting as a semiconductor in the piezolectric chemistry of bone, is a crucial element needed for synthesis or remodeling of bone. in other words, it is the critical element that allows for translation of physical weight or physical stress into the electrical message that directs the biochemistry that makes new bone."

"Now you can begin to appreciate why the millions of folks who do not include the only bioavailable form of silicon (orthosilicic acid) in their osteoporosis program will never heal. This is a major reason why medicine thinks it is impossible to heal osteoporosis and designates it as a Fosamax or Evista deficiency. Or what about the weakened weekend warriors who keep tearing, straining, spraining and breaking various body parts? They need to restore youthful elasticity and tensile strength to their cartilaginous surfaces, ligaments and tendons to avoid being so prone to damage. Silicon is often the missing secret ingredient."

"Some of the first positive body signs when you replace silicon is stronger hair and nails. But there are many more important uses for it in the body. Look at all the people who are losing teeth, because the tiny ligaments that anchor the teeth are slowly becoming depleted of silicon."

Then is goes on to say that "calcium" isn't really the answer because it causes calcification or hardening of the arteries, arteriosclerosis, gallstones, calcified breast cysts, or kidney stones. The author of the book, Sherry Rogers, M.D. believes "silicon" is the answer.

You can get it at the vitamin store. I know this is a long answer to your question, but I felt I needed to explain rather than say "just take silicon".

Hope this helps.

skierchik

11. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I know teeth problems are common with Lyme disease and a very hight percentage of FM patients have undiagnosed Lyme. You might want to try taking the Igenex Western Blot and be checked out by a LLMD.

Good Luck
  12. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Teeth braking off and many of caps. I get sick everytime I go and get dental work, so now he makes me wash my mouth out with a topical antibioctic before he works on me.

He said its because the teeth are dry from the meds. So I got a little humdidifier from QVC, its the size of a tea pot a little bigger, holds enough water for 24 hours. I now sleep with it next to the bed. Then the other is great also.

It is called BIOTENE rinse, your rinse your mouth for 30 seconds an it coats the teeth, cleans your gums, and removes bacterial. They have mouthwash also and chewing gum, it works you feel like your teeth are not dry. I do it before going to sleep, I sleep with my mouth open because I have bad allergies and my nose is always clogged at night.

Then don't forget to floss that really helps in between. He also said that in 1987 the toothpaste companies took all the abrasion out of thr paste so when we brush our teeth they are not really getting clean, it just leaves a fresh feeling and does loosen some plague. Sorry if the spelling is off, just woke up. Good luck, Aloha Ellie
  13. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I had a tooth extracted about 2yrs. ago, & had 3 that cracked in half w/in the past 2yrs. Can't afford to have them fixed. No dental insurance, & when I heard the dentist would charge up to $1,800 for a root canal & crown, I definately said pull it.

I know fibro causes tooth pain, & I believe mine is caused in part, due to my sinus' being right down there w/the roots. Weather has a lot to do w/my tooth pain. When it changes seasons, I get horrible tooth pain, mostly on the right & left upper sides. If I wait it out, it goes away in a few days. And I'm sure my allergies play a role in the pain. When that starts, the tooth pain starts.

I'm waiting for these cracked off ones to start hurting, then I'll have to have them pulled. Good thing they are in the back. And odd the affected teeth are all on the right side.

We are retired & pay over $800.00 a month for health care insurance, so dental insurance is out of the picture for us. We keep our fingers crossed we don't have a "tooth emergency".

I'm sure going to look into the silicone thing..Maybe that would somewhat help. Another thing to add to this dd.

Take care all, & wish for healthy teeth soon
    Hugs & Blessings;
    fifth
  14. darude

darude New Member

I have two root canals broken off at the gumline. Also two other teeth that have broken. Arranging an appointment to have them pulled.
  15. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Just to clarify, Fifth, it's Silicon, not silicone. Thats the stuff they use to make bigger, well,you know.

Silicon comes in drops. My friend who has lots of bone splinters in her legs and feet was told by her acupuncturist to use Silicon too. It should help you out.

Have a great day!!

skierchik
  16. sopkin

sopkin New Member

i'm having the same problem with my teeth. in a one year period i have needed two crowns and have cracked two teeth. going to the dentist tomorrow to take care of the second crown . he is not sure if the tooth next to it needs a filling or a crown. plus almost all of my bottem front teeth are cracking in to each other. have heard it might be the meds. i think it might be the combo of med's/age we had fillings/ ibs type symtoms draining the vitamins amd minerals we need. any suggestions?
    les
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My DH has lost a lot of his teeth due to meds that caused dry mouth. He has to have a partial now and he is only 52.

Love Anne C
  18. deb06

deb06 New Member

I was a dental assistant for 16 yrs before disabled with fibro. I had perfect teeth. And free dental care. Never needed the benefit while I had it at first of course.

Now I have all kinds of problems with my teeth and I have not changed any of my habits. I developed rampant cavities, mostly gumline.

Alot is due to very dry mouth we have from meds. I was sucking on sugary things and gum- very bad and I quit.

Also, like ellie said there BIOTENE mouthrisne and also the toothpast which I really recommend.

Also, I suggest PREVIDENT which is a strong flouride to brush and leave on your teeth after brushing and flossing preferrably before bed. You can get this from your dentist- I get it much cheaper from an orthodontist in town at cost for 5 bucks a tube. If not- use Prevident mouthwash instead.

My cavities have slowed down emensly since I have done these things.

The WORST thing anyone can do is to SIP on sugared pop throughout the day. Or any sugary liquid. MOUNTAIN DEW IS BY FAR THE WORST AND CAUSES SUCH SEVERE CARIES (CAVITIES) IN PEOPLE THAT THEY OFTEN END UP WITH FULL MOUTH DENTURE.

I have seen countless young people with there teeth gutted out from this pop.

Any questions, you can ask me and I will try to help.

Thanx, Deb
  19. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I caught the "silicon" spelling...lol..My fault...I am going to try them, as soon as I can get to my health/supplement store. I had to laugh at your "explanation" of "you know" lol..Not laughing at you, just w/you...No offense to anyone, please!!!!

I'm sure I'll be off to the dentist soon, as my upper right molar (that's cracked in half) is starting to bother me now. I'm not looking forward to having it pulled, but don't want the pain to get any worse..It's not the day it's pulled that's painful, it's the day after...Yikes!!

Hope all the rest of you are having a pain free day....
    Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  20. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Hi Fifth (that's some screen name!). My teeth are falling apart too, and since I'm on disability and can't afford the dentists here in Northern VA, I decided to look at less expensive alternatives. Part of the problem is everyone here wants to crown every tooth, and do implants for teeth that are missing, but don't realize that a whole mouth of one tooth at a time costs too much.

So I made an appointment with a reconstructive dentist on the faculty of the Virginia Commonwealth University Dental School. He'll look at my whole mouth, and figure out the best strategy to fix my bite, given the effects of dry mouth, connective tissue disorder, FMS, etc. The costs are about half what a regular dentist would charge--still a lot of money, but hopefully I'll get some honest answers.

I saw from your profile you are from Wisconsin. You may want to check to see if there is a state dental school near you that can help out with cost.

BTW, love the picture of you and your family!

Hugs,
    Hilary