Losing Weight with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Sep 29, 2011.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

I have a hard time losing weight. Have any of you found that FM makes it harder to lose?

Is there anything you've done that helps you lose it? Thanks.
  2. sascha

sascha Member

due to cfids and pain, losing weight takes careful attention to diet

i want to do it better myself

my plan is to limit carbs- especially empty processed grain carbs that act on our systems like sugar. also no sugar of any sort. i allow whole-grain rice and gluten-free oats, seed crackers, and a gluten free whole grain cold cereal--that's it for grains. i'm gluten-free and i got into a mess when i started having whatever i could find g-f and having items with lots of butter- butter being a big weakness of mine. so i cut that out. i was gaining weight again, ugh.

i'm on a better path now. even juicing vegetables! i love that. i save all the residue leftover and caught in a container that's part of my veg juicer. i refrigerate the bits and put them in yogurt drinks (made with a little almond milk, frozen/fresh berries, stevia for sweetener--it's very very good. i even put chocolate substitute in- carob- is like a milkshake. and i have some walnuts alongside. i have this for dinner most nights), eggs, whatever i can.

i know that emphasizing vegetables is important. Dr. Mercola's website can give some tips. keep the diet pretty lean. i have meats and try to get grass-fed beef once in a while; organic chicken; i've discovered ground chicken is really good- can make meatloaves using it- no bread- just chpd on, grated vegs (lots), eggs, s,p, and pour chicken stock over the top while it's cooking (350-1 hr; i use maybe 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken). it is very very good. great for leftovers.

anyway... it can be done. takes vigilance and determination. i want to drop more weight. i did lose weight some years back on purpose. gained some of that back, want to lose that bit again. sascha
  3. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Eat/drink less calories, take more exercise. A diet too high of protein will tend to cause muscle weight gain, too many carbs, sugars & fat cause fat gain.
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

First of all, you have to look at any medications you are taking. Do you remember the late Dr. Atkins? He died a few years back, but when he came out with the "Adkins" diet the very first question he would ask people if they say they are not losing weight is "Are you on any medications" because he knew that this can be a big hindrance to losing weight.

I know from first hand. I was sick since I was 18 with fibro, but I didn't know it was fibro back then. I was slender, never had a problem with weight issues at all. I had pain, fatigue, sleep issues, depression, but never a weight problem until I was put on antidepressants.

I gained a total of 100 pounds from the drugs back when I was 31, by the time I was 35 I weighted 235 pounds, when all my life I was between 120 and 135.

That was back in 2000 that I got off the meds, but what an eye opener? I was 100 pounds overweight with fibromyalgia, I felt doomed. Having this condition and now being 46 has been a disaster as far as losing this weight.

I had to change my whole wardrobe to fit my expaning body. When I went off the drugs, I lost 10 pounds within one month, but I still had 90 pounds to go and I was exhausted, depressed from the weight gain, and older.

Yes, FM, does make it harder to lose weight because of exhaustion and let's face it, it is hard to keep moving when you feel so awful. But I felt awful before the drugs, and had no problem keeping my weight a healthy 135.

It has taken me 11 years just to drop about 40 pounds I would say, and it has been very very difficult to say the least. I think the drugs messed up my metabolism, but there is nothing I can do now.

I take digestive enzymes, drink homemade decafinated green tea, cut out all fast food, eat mostly at home with salads, vegetable, and meat, take cinnamon capsules, tried weight loss supplements like Relora to help with cortisol levels, drink lots of water, no alcohol, no white flour, only whole grain pasts, and my meals are porportioned. I exercised for 6 months straight on an exercise bike for half an hour a day until I finally pooped out from it and can't do it anymore.

All this, and more that I have done to try and take off this miserable weight from drugs has been an uphill battle for over a decade. I do realize I am older now and I have FM, but there is no way my body should not respond to everything I do.

So, the point here is that so many women who have FM beat themselves up for gaining weight, when yes, part of the problem is FM and if you are older, age, but a lot of the problem could be the meds their doctors keep giving them, that was the issue with me.

I know this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but if you are on any meds that have a potential for weight gain, consider that possibility. None of the doctors who gave me these meds ever warned me of these kind of side effects, and that is too bad.

I also realize you may not be in the same boat I am, and maybe you are just trying to maintain or lose a little weight, but if you are, please consider this very real and under reported possibilty of weight gain. Good luck and hugs to you. Chelz.