loss of a pet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pottersclay, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

I had to do a hard thing today. Tell my kids that their dog got hit by a car last night. One child so far is taking it very hard. I have two more to tell yet.

I feel like we just lost a member of our family. It will be quiet in the house without that over sized puppy. Our dog was a 2 1/2 year old black lab/chow that we named Chance after the dog on homeward bound.
  2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

I know how much pain you must be in. Our dogs most definitely ARE members of our family. My heart goes out to you, honey.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Oh Dear I'm so sorry to hear this! I'll be praying for you and the kids! This is such a heart breaking thing to happen!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,,Sis
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'll pray you have the right words to comfort your children...and yourself. How tragic to lose a young dog in an accident.

Chance sounds like he was a cutie...labs are such great dogs.

Just so sorry for this...)-:

5. ckball

ckball New Member

I am so sorry to hear this, my heart goes out to you and your family. I can't imagine how hard this will be to tell your children.

May God give you strengh and words to comfort your children. Carla
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I'm so sorry. My dog had cancer surgery a few months ago, and I'm so afraid it will come back.

I have lost several pet's over the years, and each time, it's like losing a family member. I still miss each one. I pray animal's go to heaven!I want mine with me when I die!:)

I love each one so much. My prayer's are with you and your children, as you tell them .

7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I had to put my 1 1/2 year old doggie to sleep about a month ago.

I just happened to be going through some digital pictures and found ones of her wearing the devil's costume from last Halloween. I'm still wiping tears from my cheeks.

I don't know how you tell children. My house was not the same after Gretchen's death.

I was in so much grief from losing my Gretchen that I had to do something. I got a rescue schnauzer. That doesn't mean getting another dog is the correct answer for someone else, I just knew I had to do something.

I couldn't save my little Gretchen from a terrible illness, but I was able to save Rudy. I am spoiling him rotten.

You can see a picture of Rudy on my profile. This was taken at the vet's office when a lady brought him in and asked the office staff if they recognized him. We were trying to find his owner. I suggested that they take a picture so we could make copies and post them in the various neighborhoods. he looks as if he has been on his own for awhile in the picture. The lady had already given him a bath when the picture was taken. She told me he was solid mud when she found him.

I was over visiting my sick dog at the vets when a lady brought in this little wandering gypsy.

Little did I know that fate would bind us together. A week later, my Gretchen was dead and this little guy still needed a home. I will post a new picture of what Rudy looks like now. The transformation is quite astounding.

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2007]
  8. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Thank you for all your replies. Sorry to take so long getting back to this thread.
    1) I forgot where I posted it. This section buzzes right along when you are not here for a few days.

It has been two weeks now since we lost Chance. The other day my eldest who is 18 didn't like some of her food so she put the plate on the floor...waited...saw the cat come and sniff..then walk away. After about 30 seconds she started crying. I asked if she was crying because Chance didn't come barreling over to snarf the food as he used to. I guessed right. We used to have the dog dish in the kitchen to drop food in...this time she just put down the plate.
    When she found out Chance had died she lied next to the dog and cried..."Don't die on me! You are my jogging buddy. Who will protect me when I run in the woods where the coyotes are?"
    Three of them cried for almost two hours. My second child couldn't even cry. Some like to mourn by being left alone, quietly thinking of their pal. It broke my heart watching them. Evertime they started crying...I started crying!

My kids range from 8-18 years old. I think they are starting to think about getting a new dog. I have a customer who told me she has a 1 year old female chocolate lab/mix she needs to find a home for. I can see in my kids eyes they have room to love another dog. It may not be Chance...but I know they will love it anyway.

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2007]
  9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

The good thing about a year old dog is that you get to miss the potty training and chewing phases.
  10. Doober

Doober New Member

Who has 2 dogs (Both female Australian Shepards) I can imagine the grief and heartache.

People who do not have pets will never understand and they tend to scoff and say get over it. But, we come to love our pets as part of the family. We get sad when they get sick just as we do with our human children. We get mad at them when they are bad. We enjoy their comfort and dedication to us. They are in a sense, another one of our children.

While we understand that our time with our pets are limited, it is a shock when it is way too soon for this.

Time will heal the internal wounds of such a loss. When you are ready you will find another pet to welcome into the family and give it just as much love as you gave chance.
  11. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Chance was the third dog we have had since having kids. Each dog had their own pesonalities, quirks, habits and stuff. We waited a month after our last dog got put to sleep before getting Chance. With our last dog, Samone, we knew she was dying. We put her down because we could see the pain in her eyes. We loved her too much to let her suffer for another two or three days before she would have died naturally.

Some people have no feelings for pets and mock the ones who love theirs like a family member. My dogs get buried in their favorite spots. Samone by her favorite bush she would lie next to, Chance next to his favorite rose bush he liked to "water." They (the dogs) even have their own head stones made out of some flat rock we found.

Thank you for all your well wishes.

I will let you know what dog we get next.