Loss of concentration/memory?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ang63, Jan 15, 2003.

1. ang63

ang63 New Member

Does anyone out there feel not quite there??????
    I can be talking to friends about something, then I think what was I saying or can't remember the right word to say.
    It's so fustrating, Is this what Ive read about Fibro Fog?
    I get so embaressed, when I am in a crowd of people I don't know..... I just keep quite, so they wont think I'm stupid. It also takes alot of concentration if I know I have to talk while I'm doing a task at the same time.
  2. Sra

Sra New Member

I have not been diagnosed, I am in the process of finding a doctor. But you sound just like me!! This happens to me especially when I'm a little nervous. I will say something to get a point across and it sounds weird because I can't find the right words, but I keep talking so that I don't just stop talking in the middle of a sentence (thinking). Or sometimes I'm just out-of-it, so I try to appear alert and fake that I'm not.?? Do you know what I mean? I would also like to know if this is like fibro-fog.
  3. lmn

lmn New Member

that's how I feel. Actually, it was far worse until I started taking magnesium and malic acid. Some helpful people on this board suggested that we FM'ers lack it and benefit greatly from taking it. I can honestly say I've noticed great cognitive improvement since starting in mid-August. In fact, I'm running low, so I started taking a smaller dose, and already I've noticed I'm becoming a little bit "out of it" again.
    Good luck!
    lmn
  4. raggedyann

raggedyann New Member

It seems like you have the classical fibro fog. Mine is worse when I am tired or nervous. It can be very embarrasing if others don't know about fibro, and most people dont.
  5. coyote

coyote New Member

I agree with all of the above.
    I sometimes notice people giving me a strange look if I stop in the middle of a sentence because I can't think of the next word. It is frustrating and sometimes embarrassing.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Ang, welcome to our world. Yes, I have the fog too, but mind has gotten a lot better taking a complete vitamin B complex, I get mine from the board here at Pro Health; 'Ultra B-Complex', it does not bother my stomach either.

I also started drinking half my body weight in ounces of water per day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt. That also seems to have helped with the fog.

I only get it bad now if I am stressed or overtired.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. painin

painin New Member

Sounds exactly like myself! Sometimes I just plain feel really stupid. "What was I saying?" or "What were you saying?" or "What was I doing?" I tell everyone that I feel as if I'm trapped inside someone else's body and I just can't fight my way out!!
  8. j-bearmama

j-bearmama New Member

I didn't start having severe Fog until about a year or so ago. That is also when the fatigue really kicked my butt!

sleep HELPS the fog clear a lot I learned.I also found that taking my suppliments and my vitamins and limiting my intake of chemicals and additives helps too.
    ( if you are eating something that is not in the origional form God made it. it probably isn't good for you! simple rule, but when you feel like crap only eat the BEST!)

I never had ANY depression with fms. except for a day of the blahs around my period. But that isn't really depression.
    But the last few months I'm reallys tarting to wo nder IF I am getting a wee bit depressed over this fog crap. I HATE IT!

anyway. the FOG is what bothers me the most. I would gladly take MORE pain if ONLY the fog would disapear!

I have always taken great pride in my ability to learn things very quickly and to retain every WORD I read.
    I USED to have a photographic memory. Now I have a hard time defining that!

How can I still be a NERD when I sound like an idiot.
    I transpose numbers when I talk and write. I type the wrong homophones ALL the time. ( deer/dear , right/write , meet/meat etc.)
    I call my kid by the dogs' and cats' names ALL the time.
    I do it to my husband too.
    I put milk in cupboard and put cereal in the fridge before.
    I prepared a wonderful roast and NEVER turned the oven on.

A VERY angry husband is NOT satisfied with Pizza by the way.

When we do "stupid" things and someone accuses us of being idiots we really can't defend ourselves because we exude such idiocy on a regular basis.

Ever go to the grocery store WITH a list. READ the list and CHECK it twice at the register to make SURE you didn't forget anything and STILL forget stuff???

HOW on earth can you not see the words on the list when you READ it over and over????
    Now I know to carry a pen to store and scribble out the items when they go into cart.
    I also know to have my son read my list to make sure.
    however I still mess up sometimes. I did manage to NOT screw up my list at ALL to day. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I think my son IS my brain for me on those really bad days.

Well, seems I've rambled on AGAIN.
    here's to clear thinking!!

j-bear