Loss of small motor skills

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LOVED, Oct 26, 2006.

1. LOVED

LOVED New Member

Has anyone had a loss of small motor skills? I've had FM for 21 years at least but don't remember being so clumsy(of course, maybe I was in a continual fibro fog all that time). I seem to have fingers that don't do what they are supposed to. Last night I burned my self 3 times with the glue gun! Seriously, I have trouble opening bottles, containers, threading needles, etc.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    LOVED
  2. Kazah

Kazah New Member

i think this is a common problem. I walk into walls, tables etc all the time, things just fly out of my hands, knock pans off the cooker etc. I even trip over my own feet!

I find it's worse if I try to rush so I really try to stop and focus as much as possible if i'm doing something more dangerous(hot water etc) but generally just expect to be covered with bumps and bruises!

best wishes and steady as you go!

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I always have SOME trouble, but not severe. About once a year, I will lose almost all fine motor skills, to the point that I cannot write, for more than 5 seconds, or, am unable to use the mouse on the computer, AT ALL. When this happens, I am SCARED, and feeling pretty desparate and anxious. What has helped with that, THANK GOD, is using DL-Phenylalanine (an amino acid). It really is alarming when it gets that bad and find I am in tears on those days.
    I feel for you.
  4. stitched4u

stitched4u New Member

I have been having my fingers go numb to the point of the spoon or fork dropping out of my hands! I am really scared what it could be. I was in a car accident a month ago where I was the only person hurt. It is really a weird accident.......My mother parked my car in her garage which she lives next to me (5 acres away). We had been shopping and she had groceries in the trunk and she couldn't get the clicker to work while the keys were in the car. So, I got out of the passenger seat and came around the front of the car to check it out. It is a fairly new car and my Mom isn't used to some of it's gizmos! Anyway, thank God she had went in front of the car and was standing in her garage when the accident happened because when I reached in to take the keys out of the ignition, the car hopped into reverse with me being pinned between the car and the front drivers side door. Well, the car continued backwards throwing me down and flipping me upside down in the small space between the bottom of the car door and the driveway! I have a morphine pump installed for my severe chronic pain issues and it ripped that from it's "pocket" under my skin and flipped the pump 180 degrees and pulled the cathelter out from the spine where it had been implanted to constantley drip morphine into the spinal canal to help with the pain. Well the catheter is now bunched up in my muscle of my back nowhere where it is supposed to be.

I went to have it replaced two weeks ago and they wouldn't do the operation because I had a fever and had a bunch of white cells in the urine! Bummer. Now, I am taking 180 mg of morphine sulphate twice a day and 60 mg of msir (fast acting) for acute pain . Also am taking Cipro for the infection.

Now that you have a litle bit of background I am wondering if the fingers going numb are the result of a pinched nerve or is it the FM/CMP?????? I know I am 47 years old and yesterday was a terrible day ,cold, damp, etc. and I felt like an 80 year old!

Back to the fingers going numb. They go numb while writing, eating, typing, using the mouse of the keyboard, and using the utensils too. This is a new symptom for me and I am scared.

Any wisdom out there would be greatly appreciated. I have had FM / CMP for about 30 years but was diagnosed only 10 years ago!

[This Message was Edited on 10/27/2006]
  5. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

My feet have felt "asleep" tingling and prickly for years now. But the last few weeks it's been in my hands. They are mildly painful, but mostly they have the asleep feeling, and it's like I have to concentrate extra hard to make them work. Very scary.. is there anything that helps?
    I'm on valtrex and doxy and wondering if this is stirring stuff up?