Lossing my job because of CFS/FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frecs, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Frecs

Frecs New Member

It's been along time since I've posted here. I could use some advice from those of you who have dealt with job problems.

My employer is terminating my employment because my CFS/FMS affects my job performance. Their example of "affect" is that some days my brain is fogged and I ask for clarification on things so that I don't mess up. I've never missed a deadline. Oh, they also complain that I'm not coming up with "enough" ideas....

I've been playing phone tag with a rep at the Human Rights Commission (EEOC) to see about filing a complaint under the ADA. My Rheumatologist said he would support my claim. I'm sure my GP will also. I don't want to force my employer to keep me -- I don't want to work where I'm not wanted. BUT, I don't see why I should lose my house because of them. I hope to win a settlement that will help me survive during job hunting.

Which brings me to my next question: when I'm interviewing for jobs, how do I answer the question "why are you leaving your current job?" ? I don't think it would be beneficial to me to say that I was let go because of chronic health problems....

Tina
  2. Frecs

Frecs New Member

It's been along time since I've posted here. I could use some advice from those of you who have dealt with job problems.

My employer is terminating my employment because my CFS/FMS affects my job performance. Their example of "affect" is that some days my brain is fogged and I ask for clarification on things so that I don't mess up. I've never missed a deadline. Oh, they also complain that I'm not coming up with "enough" ideas....

I've been playing phone tag with a rep at the Human Rights Commission (EEOC) to see about filing a complaint under the ADA. My Rheumatologist said he would support my claim. I'm sure my GP will also. I don't want to force my employer to keep me -- I don't want to work where I'm not wanted. BUT, I don't see why I should lose my house because of them. I hope to win a settlement that will help me survive during job hunting.

Which brings me to my next question: when I'm interviewing for jobs, how do I answer the question "why are you leaving your current job?" ? I don't think it would be beneficial to me to say that I was let go because of chronic health problems....

Tina
  3. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

I left my job back in March because I could not sit at the computer for an extended amount of time. I was in Accounting and had to work from 8:30 am and have my job complete by 11:00 am because they did not have enough computers to go around, a mom and pop business..Ugh!! Anyway I could not take it any longer by then I was so stressed out and physically and emotionally spent, I walked out. At the same time my son had just begun evaluation for Aspergers. Anyway, I have recently been interviewing for many positions and of course the question comes up. I told them that my fibro is under control, but the minute they hear that...forget getting the job. So, I avoid mentioning it unless it is on the application, and tell them that I left due to personal family matters. I continue to seek Gods will in this because...I still am not able to sit or stand or make sense sometimes.. so maybe He's asking me to be content. I miss working though..both social and financially it is a struggle. God bless...BARB
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Maybe we have someone here who can answer your questions.

Love, Mikie
  5. Frecs

Frecs New Member

Finally spoke with the rep at the Human Rights Commission. She said I have a case and not to let my boss raddle me. As soon as I mentioned "failure to provide reasonable accommodation" and "lawyer", my boss flipped. She went from "oh, I'm your friend..." to BossMonster in 2 seconds flat. The only reason I said anything to her is because the rep at HRC said I should go on the offensive since time is short and bureaucracy moves slowly.

I still don't know what to say at interviews. If I mention my illness, no one will want to hire me. If I say it's an employment dispute it will sound like I'm Trouble. I don't see any way to answer that question without shooting myself in the foot.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

It's been so long since we heard from you! I'm really sorry to hear about your job problem, but I remember way last spring you were having some problems with it.

It sounds like you have found a good doc to work with. I'm glad to hear that. I'm on the road to SSDI and disabilty retirement. I couldn't do it if I didn't have my LTD to carry me over.

Keep us posted and best of luck in your job hunt. I'm not much help in that area. I've been lucky in having jobs find me. Maybe you will too. God does work in mysterious ways!

Hugs,
    Barbara