Lost it at my MRI last night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I started to have a panic attack almost immediately as soon as I went into the machine, I was shaking and crying, Mr Dr prescribed me meds to calm me before the procedure but it did not help 1 bit. My poor husband thought I was having a break down because of the way I was acting...I feel stupid now thinkin of how I acted it. I have NEVER had a problem with inclosed machines before but latley it has become a big problem with in the last few years, I honetly don't know what got into me. The Hospital called this morning to rebook it and they also said they are going to be giving me meds thru an I.V. which always help. thanks for listening to this big baby.

Ann
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Ann:

You certainly are not a 'big baby'. Many people are exactly like you.

It is not a pleasant experience. When I have had it done I always say to myself mentally: it will be over soon.

You do the best you can the next time and get those IV drugs. If you need them, you take them: that is my motto.

nyrofan
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

my hospital provide ear phones with soul music playing. ask if this is available in your hospital - you never know.
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I had the cloth and the earphone with music playing and I still lost it...hopefully I can handle it next time....which is on Aug 11th

Ann
  5. TAM

TAM New Member

Hi Ann,

You shouldn't feel stupied at all, and your not a big baby.

THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE WHO CAN'T EVEN HANDLE AN MRI THEY HAVE TO HAVE THE OPEN MRI, so you have nothing to be ashamed of, your not alone it happens to alot of people.

Good luck on your next appiontment, everything will work out good, make sure they give you an iv with the meds in it. Take Care sweetie, good luck, Tammy.
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

You're certainly not a big baby. I have been in those things about 5 times and still don't like them.

If you want to see a big baby, you should see me every time I have to get blood drawn; I have always had a problem with it and always will. I have had one nurse, at my dr. office, thank goodness, do the best; I asked her why it was so different when she did it? She told me I have "rolling veins" and a small, butterfly needle has to be used.

Now, I "WARN" others that do it and will NOT take any other way.

Bless your heart, don't you dare feel bad about that; those little tubes are very small; geez, what were they thinking when they made them???

BlueSky555
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Ann,

Please don't feel bad about your reaction. I have done the same thing.

ilovepink4 explained it just the way I remember it, except I will use hockey mask instead.

I know I am goin to have another on e of my head to rule out MS, and I cringe at the thought.

I wish you the best hon!
    Take care
    "E"
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

hi ann when i had my mri i was in sooo much pain they did my neck and lower back but i didnt know until it was done. the dr made a mistake it was supposed to be the middle of my back. talk about losing it i cried for about an hour after just thinking that i had to to do it all again. good luck charlene
  9. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Those machines would make a normal person claustrephobic. I had three MRIs in the last 7 months. I know.

You are my hero for even having the guts to try.
  10. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

...could ever have one done. Just reading and thinking about it almost sends me into a panic!!! It is an absolute impossibility.

I can hardly bear looking under my bed when I am searching for something that rolled away.

The only circumstances I can think of when I could have one is being totally anaesthetized or dead.

Gwen
  11. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I am with Sassy on the wet wash cloth....I've had about 4 MRI'S done.....the last one, the tech put the cool wash cloth on and I was fine.....good luck
    Cindy
  12. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

My friends ex-husband could not tolerate the MRI either. They were able to give him an OPEN MRI. I don't know if they have this type where you are, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
    The IV may put you almost asleep so you could tolerate it.
    Good luck, been there too.

Laura
  13. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

When I had one done on my neck, I said either an open MRI, or none. So, I did the open MRI, for my neck. The loud noise of the machine bothered me, it made me nervous. There is no way I could be enclosed!!!

Take Care!!! SB
  14. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I've never forgotten the time I went with my husband for him to have an MRI. I have claustrophobia so bad that I almost had a panic attack just knowing he was in the machine!!!

I have always said that I hope and pray I don't ever have to have an MRI because there's no way possible that I could get in that machine. I can barely ride in an elevator. There are not enough drugs, music, or whatever, to get me close to it. I would start to panic before I ever left the house. It's awful. Unless a person has this kind of phobia they could never understand the absolute terror that goes with it.

I understand that they have new machines that are more open. I hope so.

Don't feel bad, I would probably hurt myself (or someone else) trying to get away, and I'm really funny about calling attention to myself out in public. But, it all goes away when I get "trapped".

Kinsie
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  15. dlark

dlark New Member

Hi Ann,
    Losing it has become part of my CFS/FM reality. I think I'm ok and then usually at a medical appt or lab I can't take it anymore. In my case its the constant stress of this illness but MRI's are commonly a problem - don't feel too bad.

16. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

for your stories and suggestions, I had a MRI in Buffalo and it was an open one but..I still freaked, I know that I have to get it done as I have MS and they need to check to see if there are any new lesions as I am getting alot of attacks lately...so I'll just deal with when I get there and hope the IV meds with help me more. thaks again all of you's it has helped me alot.

Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  17. jesfms

jesfms New Member

i have had them many times but the last one i couldn't do without medication...usually xanax will take shorter time than ativan or valium...i won't ever go unprepared...this was unexpected and i didn't like it
  18. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I had my first one recently and I was fine with it, but out ofcuriosity when i was finished I asked the nurse if alot of people have a problem in there and she said oh yes many many people do get freaked out or have a panic attack etc, so .... don't feel so bad!!!!
  19. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I kept my eyes open for my first one. That was enough for me.

Now I lie on the table and my eyes stay SHUT until they tell me I can sit up again when it's over. I jam in the earplugs and I pretend I'm the starfish in "Finding Nemo" when the dentist's evil niece is knocking on the fish tank - "Go to your happy place...go to your happy place...."

Nothing wrong with a little judicious chemical R&R - it's a very claustrophobic test if you have to have anything imaged from the groin up in the cheaper, more accessable "closed" systems.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  20. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My first one was in an old one that travels our area. It was gray and the room was dark. It was for my back. They handed me something to squeeze if i got panicy.

Well, that took only 2 minutes and I couldn't stand it anymore!!!!

i had to have a brain MRI and i asked for open end 50 mi. from here. I didn't like the mask at all or I could see when the machine came within 3 inches of my head but having my feel out helped.l Had a 2nd one and I got along OK.

Had the 3rd brain MRI at Mayo - there was a small mirror where I could open one eye and see a shelf in the room. That helped too and I got along OK.

Two yrs. ago I had my 4th open end MRI on my back. My head was out and I actually closed my eyes and almost went t6o sleep.

Go for open end. There is something about it, knowing part of me was uncovered.

Good Luck all lf you if you have it again.

joan