Lost my job - and not because of my fibro. :-(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by peachbunnee, Dec 17, 2005.

1. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

I know I'm new here, so many of you don't know who I am.

Today I lost my job, and not becaue of my fibro.

I just seem to have a hard time understanding things and grasping how to do things sometimes. What seems so easy for some people to catch on to, is challenging for me.

I think it's related to my mental illness issues - depression, OCD and the meds. But I don't know.

I just know that it's a week before Christmas, I'm jobless and I'm feeling like a real LOSER. :(

peach
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I'm so sorry about your job. Besides pain and sleeplessness, one of my biggest challenges before I was diagnosed with FMS/CFIDS was the fact that I had difficulty understanding and remembering instructions at work. I couldn't find the words to complete sentences and my brain felt foggy all the time. I finally realized that cognitive disfunction is one of the symptoms of FMS. So, you are not a LOSER, you are ill. You may have other issues, but the problems you described are definitely symptoms of FMS.

Best of luck to you.
  3. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

I appreciate it.

peach
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

im sorry you lost your job but the symptoms you describe sound a lot like cognitive dysfunction which many of us here have.
    its an illness that is linked to fm and me like piles and raynauds.
    you are not a loser. was is made clear to your employer you were unwell? if so you have an angle to do something.

cognitive dysfunction will leave you reading the same line over and over and it not sinking in,or looking for a word or name and it just wont come until a few hours later when it doesnt matter any more. talking to someone in the morning and walking right by in the afternoon.
    someone here has posted a list of cog,dys you should check ot out.
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

Poor cognation is one of my major problems and its related to my lyme disease. I had to close my business cuz I couldnt function mentally anymore. Couldnt even pay my bills. Knew what the bills were, knew what the check book was but could not put them together.

Had cognitive testing and they told me they seldom had someone as bright as me. Go figure. I asked the guy why I could pay my bills and he just shrugged.

I know its all due to chronic lyme and have been treating it for about 20 months. Im starting to see some improvement.

Have you always had trouble grasping concepts or is this a new thing? If its new then it most likely is part of your health problem and dont be so sure that the root cause if fibro.