LOST (TV series) Week 20 "TORCH LIGHT IS LIT"....(CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by llama, May 9, 2007.

1. llama

llama New Member

5/9/07...Episode 3.20......The Man Behind the Curtain..........(Dharma Centric)...........

Hey all!

I hope everyone is excited about this episode! Happy Viewing.........Jill..............
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2007]
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I am still reeling from this one! Such a great episode.

I've been over at thefuselage.com and there are some great posts over there. Lots of things to think about.

Locke can't die.....Jacob has to heal him......LOCKE CANNOT DIE!!!!

Richard Alpert doesn't seem to age either.....only his hair was different. Hmmm.

Wonder why Ben went out of the way to take his father out in the jungle to gas him? Maybe he had to prove himself to Alpert like Ben made Locke kill his own father. ???

Jacob was seen just as a shadowy profile for a couple of seconds, there are screencaps at DarkUFO.com. I didn't even see it on my TV (not high def)

Young Ben was perfect....now we know why he's so strange. Blamed for his mother's death by a drunk father his whole life.
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

This episode had more than one comment on the island healing, I can't believe Locke is really dead. They thought patchy was dead and he wasn't, so I think Locke isn't dead either.

The Jacob thing was very strange. It seemed to me like something out of a horror flick. I didn't really like it. Why did he say "help me". Very strange.

I also didn't like the hairdos in this episode. Ben's hairline was weird looking during the time period that he killed everyone. It looked darker than the rest of his hair. And Richard Alpert's hair was too light. It looked like a mop.

And what is up with Jack. He wasn't going to tell the others about Juliet helping Ben until he decided what to do about it. I think that's pretty arrogant of him. Is he the only one to come up with solutions to problems? He should have discussed it with the Syid and Kate etc to come up with a plan. Secrecy promotes distrust. And there is already plenty of that going around on that island.

Ben sure is a strange one. He killed a lot of people! I wonder why smokey didn't get him? And why does he keep saying he was born on the island when he wasn't??

Although I liked this episode and it certainly was action packed, it was somewhat annoying as well. I guess I'm just a bit cranky cause I've been feeling like crap lately.
    I think I'll watch it online again this weekend.

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2007]
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Man, John is always too honest for his own good! If he had just pretended to believe in Jacob, even though he couldn't see him, he would have learned a lot more about Ben and would have prevented himself from being killed. (I think)

I was surprised when Naomi said Penny's last name was Mc something.

It was kind of creepy to see how much Ben must have hated his dad.

My thought a long time ago that the Others are a cult is still looking good to me.

But why would a bunch of people with standard American accents go to an island in the South Pacific long before the Dharma initiative even got there???? Why why why?

And why didn't the Dharma people know that someone was already living there before they arrived? Or did they not care?

And what about the whole "they're all dead and this is the afterlife" thing? If that is so, it looks more like purgatory to me than hell.

5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I liked watching it online and I think I will do that again. Only a couple 30 sec commercials.

I noticed a few things I didn't get the first time. Like Ben said Jacob didn't like technology. So that is why he went bezerk when Locke shined the flashlight. And then Locke still didn't believe in Jacob.

And I didn't get the first time that Ben admitted to Locke that he wasn't born on the island. I still don't get why he lies about this. Richard knows it isn't true. And I wonder how Ben got the code to turn off the fence? And did Ben kill the girl who made him the doll when he killed the other Dharma people? Or is she Alex's mom? No wait, the French lady is her mom. So confusing!

I wonder when they will tell us why Alex hates her dad. It's a common theme on the island, so many hate their dad. Kate, Jack, Claire, Ben, Alex etc. And Kate, Locke and Ben killed thier father. Is Alex next to kill thier Dad?

Forbearance, I totally missed the name being Mc something both times I watched it. Wonder what else I missed!!!

6. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

What a fantastic episode! I know I'll be rewatching it again soon, I know I've missed quite a few things!

First off, did everyone hear that Lost will continue for 3 more seasons? 16 episodes/per year for a total of 48. I guess it'll be like mid Jan. to mid May or so.

Did anyone see Evangeline Lilly on Jimmey Kimmel last night? I hate to say it but she's a little odd and looked kind of sluty JMHO...anyway she said when she was told what the final episode of this season reveals she got "goosebumps"...she was very convincing...can't wait!

Well on to the epi at hand; I don't have Hi-DEF TV, but I could see for a split instant a shadowy figure sitting in the chair where Jacob was supposed to be. There's screencaps all over the web showing the 11 frames from this shot. He looks like an old fashioned swashbuckler..frilly shirt and long wavy hair. Could be an original inhabitant from the doomed Black Rock?

I think it just totally enraged and threatened Ben when Jacob actually spoke solely to Locke..."Help me!" If he's the almighty Jacob why would he need help? There's speculation that the ashes that line Jacob's cabin could be a voodoo curse that keeps "evil" spirits in or out? Could be that Ben is actually holding Jacob prisoner...kind of a long shot? (Good foreshadowing with the earlier lesson of the island's volcano erupting).

Seems like the Hostiles don't age? I think the reason why Alpert and Ben's hair looked so funky was due to the time period..'60's into the 70s. Strange how Alpert was dressed like a Hostile and now he dresses like a GQ model.

I was wondering why they mentioned it was Ben's birthday so many times. And then finding out he was born in a wooded area in Portland?? As they say, you can "bring/manifest" anything/anybody to the island. Perhaps Ben brings some kind of energy to the island's women that they can't give birth...he didn't have a mommy and doesn't want anyone else to? (Another mommy/daddy conflict?)

IMHO, I thought I heard Naomi say Penny Widmore.

Well we finally know the hows and whats of the Purge. Ben is an incredibly evil creature.

I definitely don't believe that Locke is dead! He's wayyyy too integral to the present dynamics of this story arc. We know how quickly he can heal...I also think that the Other's like and respect him. If Ben goes back alone, I think that someone would go looking for Locke?

Well my mind is still reeling...I'll be back when I've pondered a few more things?!

Take Care..............Jill..............
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

That's a good question, Mollystwin. What happened to Annie, Ben's childhood friend?

One other thing that is bugging me. What was the trail of sand that had to be crossed before reaching Jacob's house?

Ooh, good idea, Jill, that Jacob could be a trapped soul from the Black Rock.

I would bet that Ben makes up a story for the Others about Locke having angered Jacob, and Jacob having killed him.

I hope Naomi did say Penny Whidmore, as that would be simpler. I'll have to watch it again.

Yes, I heard that about the three short seasons remaining.

I saw Matthew Fox on the Tonight Show and liked him better after that interview.

You know, I really enjoyed seeing all that Dharma 1960's & 70's type stuff. It was fun. It reminds me of my childhood. lol

One other thing that is still bugging me. What was Danielle going to do with that case of dynamite? Gulp. She's always up to something.

8. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

every week i can't believe it can get any more bizarre, but it does!
    does anyone see any relationship with the manner of Ben's mother's death (bleeding to death by 7 mo. pregnancy) and the problem with the island women? (they all die by this pregnancy stage of bleeding also)
    or is my imag. really running away?
    i plan to watch a few more times on line for all the things mentioned on this thread that i missed!
    til next week--L
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Maybe there is a connection with Ben's Mom's death and the pregers on the island! This had never occured to me.

And forbearance, I remember that sand. Locke scooped some up and checked it out very carefully. My hubby commented that he wondered what was up with that. I bet we find out something later. Must be something important if he took the time to examine it.

I wonder the doll that Annie gave Ben have any more significance than what they have showed us so far. Ben spends a lot of time looking at it. Now and in the past. And who has the Ben doll. Did Annie keep that one??

So many questions!!!

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

And 90% responding think he is not dead!!! Of course that doesn't mean anything, he could still be dead, they just don't want him to be. Neither do I! Should I go watch the You-tube?

I'm dying to know!!!!!!!