LOST (TV series) Week 22/23 "TORCH LIGHT IS LIT"....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by llama, May 23, 2007.

1. llama

llama New Member

May 23, 2007...Episode 22/23...Through the Looking Glass...Season Finale...(Jack-centric?)....

Hello Losties,

It's my sad duty to open the final thread for season 3!

Wow, what a ride these last episodes have been!!
    I hope we can keep up at least some sporadic chatter about Lost, while we trudge through the next 8 months...sob :-(

Anyone feel free to start new threads, whatever, as I'm sure this thread will eventually fade from view and relevance.

So (as I pull my Kleenex box closer) happy viewing, and I hope everyone will return to post their reactions etc.

Take Care..........Jill...........
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Well, I've just seen the first hour which is shown up here at 7 pm. Another great episode and I've only seen 1 hour!

Now, I'm watching the recap show with the producers which I saw last week (no wonder I'm always confused!) and then will watch the first episode again and then (sniff) the last!

I'm cramming in as much as I can! 8 months! Nooooo!

"Learn to live together or die alone."

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

What a fascinating climax! Just when you think it can't get any more complex, it does!

Charlie! What can one say about Charlie? Well, one thing is since that porthole had been blown out maybe he swims out of it! I certainly hope so.

And, good old Hurley! That scene was so exhilarating and then we cut to Charlie. They do take one on a ride which is the mark of well crafted drama.

The most interesting, of course, was the flash forward! Jack is totally messed up. What happened? What did he do? (Silly question, what haven't they done.) Kate survives to get off the Island, too. Who is in that coffin? Why did no one attend?

And, I haven't even begun to absorb the new twists re the possible rescue and the information from Desmond's "girl friend". I'm a bit confused about how she just showed up on the screen but knew nothing about the ship. Is she the woman who gave him the boat that landed him in this predicament in the first place?

As you can see, I am left with nothing but tantalizing questions and a desire to find a LOST board to feed my addiction until the whole thing starts up again.

I can hardly wait for the LOST analysts to show up here on the board and spin some theories. This is so much more fun than spinning ME/CFIDS theories!

But, as usual, I'm lost.

Peace out,
  4. llama

llama New Member

Rafiki and All,

I share your enthusiasm and totally "lost" feeling that you have right now...this is really going to take some major analyzing, and even then probably won't come up with the right answers.

The woman who gave Desmond the sailboat was Libby. She was (I don't know if you all ready know this or not?) in the tail-section of the doomed flight 815. She had given him the boat at least 3 years before the crash.

She was also in the same mental institution, at the same time as Hurley...they've never explained that mystery yet. She was shot and killed by Michael last season.

That's all I got in the way of answers. If you want some good websites...ABC.com/losttheories, thefuselage.com and Losteastereggs.blogspot.com.

Take Care.........Jill...........

5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Oh Charlie!!!!!

P.S. I know. What is it with that Penny? She shows up everywhere! lol
  6. mgk321

mgk321 New Member

Most confusing but I like the theory about this all being a figment of Jack's drug induced delusions. When it first started, I said to my husband, "Oh, I don't like Charlie in a beard."

He looked at me and said, "That's Jack; not Charlie."

I said, "Flashback to "Party of Five!"

Isn't it funny how after all these years, I referred to him as Charlie?

I sure hope they keep having flashbacks to the island because besides being a great show, the scenery is beautiful. Not only that, the cast members love living in Hawaii!

I enjoyed the Finale but my husband didn't. I guess he wanted them to stay on the island. But think of all the material they left for next season. How did they get off the island, what happened to everyone, etc. Already looking forward to next season and I'm so glad we got to see the whole season without repeats thrown in. More shows should do that. Start late in the season but then have no repeats.
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

But I wanted to ask, didn't Jack refer to his Dad being still alive and in the hospital?? That part confused me when I realized it was the future.
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

If future Jack's dad is still alive, why was Jack in Sydney? Didn't Jack originally go to Sydney to pick up his Dad's body? SO if Dad is still alive, why would he have gone to Sydney? He shouldn't have been on the plane that crashed in the first place!
  9. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

Well, my teenage daughter took an interest in Richard and has paid close attention to him. She came up with a pretty good theory about Richard. She realized he must be an important character because he used to be the real leader, it seemed, of the others before Ben killed all of the Dharma people and took over. Richard must be an important character since they keep showing him more and more and he seems to be one of the only people who has the guts to tell Ben what NOT to do. Because if you think about it...Richard is older than Ben.
    My daughter thinks in "Through the Looking Glass" they only showed Richard about one time and then they never went back to showing him or the rest of the others. No one even cared enough to go make sure Ben would be okay. So, when no one came to rescue Ben...my daughter came up with the idea that Richard has plans of his own and wants to get rid of Ben and become the leader again. Because if you remember, a few episodes back, Richard gave Locke the help he needed to kill his father. Richard has to know that Locke is a threat and could potentially help him get back his power. She's not really sure about that theory but she just wanted to throw it out there. Richard just seems like a mysterious character that's a little too nice and a little too helpful at just the right moments. And it seems to be only Ben and Richard that know where the island is.

[This Message was Edited on 05/25/2007]
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I love everyone's thoughts. Here are some more thoughts from me.

Are that Mikhail and John Locke just unkillable or what?? I mean, geez!

Did Ben say the rest of the Others were going to "the temple"???? I need to watch it again!

I'm thinking "Oh, maybe it's related to the four-toed statue!"

I really cracked up when Juliet said the Others were building a runway for the aliens. Oh man! They really got us that time. My jaw totally dropped until she said she was kidding.

It was pretty violent for me, this final episode. I guess I prefer the more charming episodes.

11. artyreader

artyreader Member

1. Remember the "Ghost of Christmas Future" that visited Ebeneezer Scrooge? The Ghost showed him a bleak, terribly forlorn vision, but, if Scrooge made some changes in his present life,he could alter that horrible possible future. That's just one thing that occurred to me about Jack's "flash forward"--maybe it's not the actual future (set in stone) but simply a "worst case scenario".

2. Another idea: In Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass" there is the theme of "time running back and forth at the same time."(can't remember the source)

3. In a Looking Glass ( a mirror) you see a reverse image of yourself--it's you, but it's not you. There's "Bad" Jack vs. "Good" Jack (which is more real--or are both?) I also thought of when Rousseau hold her daughter's face in her hands--looking at (in some ways) herself and not herself.

Well, I'll leave off my insominiac ramblings for now. What a great thread this is (I've learned a lot from the rest of you in such a short time).
  12. llama

llama New Member

I just thought I'd at least drop by and catch up on the posts. DH is on vacation, so my routine has been altered (not totally a bad thing). I've been thinking about Lost a lot and even had a dream about it..lol!

I pretty much agree with everyone's posts and don't have anything at the moment to add to what's all ready been written.

I thought it was a fantastic episode and I'm really hoping ultimately for a happy ending...

4everkid, I'm glad at least some people like Juliet. I still say if any of _us_ were in her place, we'd definitely act in our own best interest...self-preservation, duh!

Hopefully, I'll have something more profound to add later.
    I'm happy to see several new people posting..Welcome!

Take Care.......Jill.........
  13. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I know I have a concentration problem (seriously, I totally do), but how do you all get all of this information from the show? I think it's awesome, and I'm glad you do, because now things make a little more sense...lol. Anyway, I don't have anything to add other than...thanks devoted viewers!!

14. llama

llama New Member

I think a lot of us visit several websites that really help to bolster up the theories that we may all ready have?!

Some people may not want to do this and instead formulate their own theories etc. without the influence of anyone else. I, however, enjoy reading the different views/perspectives of people from all walks of life.

I know I've posted this before (and sorry for the repeat)but here are a few of the sites that I like:
    ABC.com, Losteastereggs.blogspot.com/, thefuselage.com.

There are many more sites out there. I limit myself to these 3 b/c hey, I have to pretend I have a life!

Believe me, I forget a heck of a lot more than I ever used to. If I didn't have something/someone to jog my memory, I'd really be confused and never be able to piece any of these mysterious and intricately woven pieces together.

Take Care......Jill.......

15. llama

llama New Member

I just wanted to respond about going to the ABC website: I agree that unfortunately their message boards can be over run with teenage silliness.

I go to that site to listen to the almost weekly podcasts that Lindelof and Cuse have. I'll occasionally find a good, informative thread...if you go there a few times you start to recognize the serious posters from the goof balls!

Take Care.......Jill.........
  16. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Hey, you and I can feel a little less dumb now!

I have been watching LOST since the first episode and thought that I'd probably be able to keep up with other foggy losties.

I'm so glad that there's a reason why we are clueless. And, we have eight months to catch up!

Peace out,
  17. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I'll probably be able to hit those sites on Monday...I'm so excited! Thanks for the info and being so kind to a middle-aged gal with a bad memory...lol

18. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I found the show pretty good, and for me it set's up a marid of ideas about what happened.
    Can't wait to see the New Season, I know it will be a hard time waiting, but I figure thats a good time to get caught up, from the begining.

I found it interesting, about the Looking Glass, and everyones ideas on it.
    One option, sounds a lot like take off of a Charm's Show, were they were able to see their evil counterparts, through a hidden Mirror.
    I loved that show, it was pretty cool, but I would like to think that the writers are more Inventive that to copy, that sernario,

But you Never know. lol,
    I thought about the over kill, of Naiomi (sp?) it didn't make sense, yet,
    I myself was very leary of her, and I think the next season will give us more answer's.

I don't think, Kate was talking about Sawyer, when she said, "You know how he is" or something like that.
    I don't know why, I think that, just a hunch really.

I think tho that they did change things Big time when Kate and Jack were "Back Home"?
    I think it has to do with, whoever is on that ship, and what their intentions are, they were not associated with Penny, that's for sure.

I knew I remebered Ben saying that the Station was flooded, another of Bens lies to controll people.

I thought the casting of the Mother and Daughter was right on, they do look amazingly alike, and it warmed my Heart, when Mom say's to Daughter, lets tie him up, (or something like that lol)
    They both had good reasons to do that, great moment.

Hurley, saving the day, was Funny, and it show's that We all have a place in life, no matter what our size is.

Sawyer, Sawyer, what can I say, except, that I saw so much Pain in his eye's, when he shot, Mr Happy, like he has excepted that he has crossed over a line that may cost him more dearly, next season.

Did you know, he was not suppose to last longer than the first season, but he has become a huge Fan fav. they kept him on,
    Yipee. lol

Loads to think on, and I can't wait till next season.

Hug's to all.
  19. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yeah, it is loads to think on.

4everkid, I'm laughing about the idea of Mikhail coming through the jungle, missing pieces but still as bad as ever. I could believe it!

I also felt disappointed about certain things in the last few scenes. Why was John so quick to shoot Naomi? He was also really quick to push Mikhail into the electronic fence in a previous episode. I didn't think he was such a killer when the show first started.

I felt disappointed that Jack beat up Ben instead of asking him good questions. Jack had the perfect opportunity to ask Ben "What is on this island that is worth killing people for????" and to force Ben to answer! ARGH!!!

Apparently, John now knows what is on this island that is worth killing people over.

Honestly, did Ben or John expect Jack to just believe them and take their word for it that he shouldn't call the ship, without explaining exactly why it was a bad idea? They should know that Jack doesn't trust either one of them one iota.

If either Ben or John truly wanted to prevent the ship from being contacted, they should have said WHY it would be a bad idea. Why didn't they?

So not only is there something on the island that is so valuable it's worth killing people for, this thing about the island is also a big secret that can't be revealed. Even if it would save this thing or this aspect of the island.

It's enough to make a viewer tear her hair out! lol

Okay, i guess Ben did say that all the people on the island would be killed. But that just felt like one of Ben's standard lies.

What kind of group with the money to buy fancy cell phones, ships, and helicopters, want to kill people on an isolated island?

Do you guys think that Naomi worked for a government or secret service of some kind? I am still not sure that Penny should have known Naomi's name. If she hired some company to find Desmond, why should Penny know the name of every employee of that company?

But she probably would have known about the ship. I'll grant that.

I see what you mean about just shooting the phone, kid. That would have made a lot more sense.

I'm still wondering who could have been in the coffin that would be neither a friend nor family member to Jack, but who he would want to go see and would be deeply affected by.

My best guesses are Ben or John. I guess they'd have been using a different name, perhaps? Or maybe it's a character we haven't met yet.

Maybe Charlie is lucky in some way that he died. Maybe horrible things are going to happen.

I always wanted the series to end with Bernard, Rose, and John opening a resort on the beach of the island. lol

Wow, I had forgotten all about the two skeletons in the cave in the first season. That's spooky to think about time travel and alternate futures.

another foggy Lostie,