~~LOST (TV) Week 4 ~~CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Feb 21, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

~~ ~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~~
    .............. 4:4 "Eggtown" ..............

Tonights episode is Kate-centric. As usual, we can see an enhanced pop-up version of last weeks episode first, followed by the new one.

For me, here in southwest MO, I get to have the usual Thursday night pop-up severe weather map, warning scroll, and list of school closings. GGGGGRRRRR! This winters weather is trashing my Lost video collection! This is our 4th ice storm this year! And they (the weather gods) always aim for Lost night!

Anyway.... this is supposed to be a good one. I am anxious to see what happens when Kate, our island's resident fugitive, makes it back to the real world. I wonder if her post island life will follow suit like the others. Will she end up back in the same lifestyle - only worse, like Jack, Sayid and Hurley? I sure hope not.

I read that tonight is supposed to be the last flash-forward until episode 4:7, said to be the final episode before the multi-week break. DARN! I guess they are going to hold #8 till they get the remaining 5 for the season written.

But that's okay! I am just happy they are back to work building more episodes for us this season!

Hold on tight, and get your hankies ready. I think this is going to be an emotional one.

It's time once again to get [[[:::LOST:::]]]

.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯` ><((((º>.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`><((((º>.¸.·´¯`·.

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2008]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I wonder if we will find out tonight who Kate ended up with after she got off the island. The one she didn't want to wonder where she was when she met Jack at the airport?

Just a few more hours!!!
  3. painterZ

painterZ New Member

that must have been who she was referring to when she met Jack at the airport. I knew the baby was Aaron when they showed all that blond hair. So now the question is did Kate take Aaron or did Claire give him to her? Is Aaron one of the Oceanic six because technically he was on the plane when it crashed.

It's driving me nuts that we don't know why everybody who survived is lying about what happened. Jack said only 8 survived the crash and then the last six made it out.

Miles told Kate that she'd be better off staying on the island but if he knew that why did he and the rest of the freighter come there? Oh, and the smart scientist dude couldn't remember three cards (I can relate). I wonder what's happening to him.

Can't wait to read everyone's imput.

4. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I am wondering the same thing...Why does Kate have Aaron?
    The first, most logical thought is that Claire dies, and Kate takes him. (What an odd emotionless way to reveal a main characters death!)

Another possibility...Claire is alive and sends Aaron on the chopper with Kate so he can lead a normal life. (Why would she do that, especially when she was warned not to let her child be raised by another? Plus, he is all she has.)

Still another possibility... The baby is Kate and Sawyers. She just named it Aaron so Sawyer won't know its his.(Jack wants nothing to do with her love child with Sawyer.)

Or could it be her baby with Jack, conceived post island? (Maybe he cant face the idea of fatherhood, with all his daddy issues.) This is a stretch. It may not fit into the timeline anyway.

After the obvious "Claire's dead" possibility crossed my mind, the next thought I had was the following:

With what we learned last week about Ben and his ability to travel off island, I can't help but wonder if he stole Aaron from Claire, took him to LA, and told Kate to raise him. Maybe he wants to use Claire as a guinea pig in his island baby making experiments, since the original plan to steal the pregnant women failed. He is using Aaron to threaten Claire into doing what he wants - do this, or you will never see your kid again. He could be doing the same with Kate - raise this child, or all your friends on the island will die.

Walt was extremely special, so much so, that he was "more than they bargained for", and Ben arranged to have him sent off the island. Could Aaron also be overly special, and a threat to Ben's standing as king of the island?

Ben once lied and told Jack, Locke and all the Others he was born on the island, like that made him special somehow. So the fact that Aaron WAS born on the island...he may have reason to believe the island will favor Aaron. Other than Alex, Aaron may be the only child born on the island - and look what he did with Alex.... he stole her from her mother!

This is all assuming that Ben gets free and regains control.

An even stranger twist would be to find that Locke takes over Ben's life, his leadership capacity, his secret closet, his magic box, and his fear that the island will favor native-born Aaron - and HE removes the baby from the island.

One reason my mind went to this alternative theory is, how could Kate explain having this child to the public? Did she lie and claim it's her own child? Her mom seems to believe its hers. (Was there even time for her to get pregnant on the island and have her own child before making it back to civilization, for that lie to be believable?)If she admitted it was someone else's child, they would never let her keep it, they would find Aaron's relatives.

This makes me wonder if the baby was not one of the 6 rescued survivors and was delivered to her afterwards.

We know they have been on the island 3 months. But in the real world, where time could be moving faster, they may think YEARS have passed, If this is the case, Kate could claim this was her baby and be believed.

We still don't know how the Oceanic 6 come to be the chosen 6. Someone else may be the ones choosing who gets to leave, and they could have forced Aaron from his mothers arms onto the helicopter.

I sure hate the idea that Claire doesn't survive! So I am entertaining all the other possibilities I can come up with. I hate to admit though, that she has been mostly background scenery for a long time, and if some main character HAS to die, she seems the most likely.

5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Rumor is that there is another major character to die this season. So maybe they just want us to think it is Claire. Maybe Claire didn't make it off for some reason and maybe Ben is behind it somehow. I sure was shocked to hear her say her babies name was Aaron.

Wonder where that chopper is?? We know that Sayid will be OK so I'm not too worried about them. And Naomi still looks good even though she is supposedly dead.

Sigh. Gotta wait another week now to see another show!
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Dar - I wondered the same thing...if they just want us to assume Claire dies.

Elaine - it's okay that you can't add to the discussion. Don't worry, we wont vote you off the island.

I am excited about the next one. Since we know that the chopper group didn't show up on time, they must have taken the wrong bearing out. And with flashing Desmond on board, there is no telling where or when they will end up! Will he take a motorized trip into the past, or flash them all into the future or something?

Time anomaly + time traveling prophet Desmond + air travel must = something weird!

I sure hope he makes another time travel journey. His first one had to be my favorite episode!

I would like to watch the enhanced reruns, but I am a die hard Survivor fan too and have to watch it instead. So if you guys learn anything good from the pop-ups, let me know.

A friend asked me today the inevitable question all Lost fans must face eventually.

Kate and Jack
    Kate and Sawyer?

I am going to officially say Jack. I think Sawyer is way hotter, but I tend to want her to end up with Jack.

What about you guys?
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

ARGH!!! That surprise ending was a real shocker!

I had a funny feeling when I saw that the boy in the crib had such blonde hair. "Hmm, he doesn't look anything like Kate", I was thinking. Then when she said "Aaron" my heart sunk!

Like all of you, I'm worried about Claire now.

And I felt sad to see that Kate seems to be reverting to her pre-island persona. It seems like none of these people learned something that changed them for the better once they get home.

Instead, the ones who made it back seem to have been scarred by their castaway experience.

I liked the way they were behaving when they first crashed. They were all getting a fresh start.

John Locke used to be one of my favorite characters, but he seems to be going off the deep end now. He used to be a reasonable person.

Hmmmm, now that I think about it, it seems like Sawyer and Sun and Jin may be people who seem to have grown or changed for the better. And Rose is healed now. And Claire and Charlie would have been better people for their island experience. Desmond, too. But none of them have gotten home, that we know of.

Like you guys are saying, it bugs me that the survivors "have" to lie about what happened to them. Why???? (as you said)

It would be tormenting to have to tell such a big lie for so long. It would eat away at me if I had to do that.

I hope we get more than seven episodes of Lost this year. I don't care if they have to show the rest of the season in the summer time! I just want to see them!

P.S. One funny thing about this episode. Did anybody else get a sudden craving to buy a Dharma mug or Dharma playing cards? Are the show's producers trying to start a souvenirs business? lol

P.P.S. What does "Eggtown" mean?

P.P.P.S. 4everkid, one cool thing the pop-ups said last night was that the site used for "Othertown" is in fact a YMCA camp on the north shore of Oahu. That is cool! Some time in the future, after the show is over, we could go stay at that Y camp! [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2008]
  8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Forebearance - I agree....except for Locke, everyone has grown and changed for the better while on the island. Locke had improved at first, but now is turning greedy, power hungry, and just plain bad. And once they leave, they revert back. They really do need the island it seems!

I'm not sure I agree about post island Kate. She used to be always on the run, and a con artist. Now she seems content to stay put in CA for ten years and play happy suburban mom. Did I miss something? I DO need to watch again. How do you see her reverting to her former lifestyle or persona? It seems like she should be reverting, like everyone else. I am just not picking up on it.

I still like Locke, but more in the way I like Ben - "love to hate." Locke has lost his mystical "man of faith" attitude. I miss that part of him. Putting that live grenade in Miles' mouth was pure evil! A few months ago, he would never have done something like that!

The writers have promised us the 8 pre-strike episodes, plus 5 more. A lot of fans will be super upset if they don't give us at least that, this season.

Funny you mention the mug. There is a screencap of the bottom of it showing that it is a "mainstays" brand, like they sell at Walmart. Do you suppose there is a Walmart Supercenter in Otherville?

Someone posted this about the term "eggtown" on Lostpedia:

Egg-town is a pejorative term that refers to the days of bartering, during the 1800s. A traveling salesman would have to barter his candy or tobacco or shoelaces for different commodities. A poor exchange would be for eggs, a relatively common item that is also highly perishable. Nobody wants to trade for eggs from a traveling salesman, because they have their own, so the salesman who accepted an egg in exchange was forced to accept a bad deal. Salesmen would use the term like "If I were you, I would stay away from Bogart. That's an egg-town." .....The term "egg-town" represents a deal with undesirable outcomes.

Then it gives examples of some bad deals from this episode:

* Locke's inability to makes any progress with the interrogation of Ben or Miles.
    * The deal Kate made. She is now forbidden to leave the state for any reason for at least ten years, and thus can't legally go back to the Island.
    * The barracks turn out to be Egg-town for Miles, as he tries to extort 3.2 million dollars from Ben and ends up with a grenade in his mouth instead.

Instead of waiting till the show ends to visit Otherville, we should go NOW, while they are filming. We could lurk in the jungle and make monster sounds! Or burst into the scene wearing pirate clothes! Maybe get some screentime!
  9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

Kate and SAWYER!! Jack annoys me and he just takes over everything, that is until the group split. I'd have to follow my bud Hurley to Locke's "side". I think John has been so confident in himself about what the right thing to do is, and now he's been wrong about several things, and right in front of the group.

That strange freighter dude who seems to be losing his memory or something, didn't he make a comment about absolutely staying on course? Maybe his calculations were wrong.

I want to go to Hawaii and stay in the camp too, the only problem is that I'm scared of flying (was in a crash once) so I really need to find that time portal :)

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

It was like a shout out to us Lost fans who watch the show more than once. Ben said he already read it and locke told him to read it again. He might find something he missed the first time!!

I vote for Sawyer too. It seems unlikely, but I'd rather see her with Sawyer than Jack!!

11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

That was funny Dar. It reminds me of the episode when they found the "Orientation" film and watched it. Lockes first words afterwards were, "We're going to need to watch that again."

That book Locke gave Ben was VALIS by Philip K. Dick.
    VALIS is about the search for God, who turns out to be a mental virus projected into our minds by an orbiting mechanical intelligence in order to manipulate humans. The "Messiah" in VALIS is a two-year old girl named Sophia.

Can't wrap my head around how that relates to Lost, if it even does.

The book Sawyer was reading was The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares. The story is about a fugitive who hides on a deserted island somewhere in the South Pacific. Perfect book for Sawyer!

I thought it was interesting that Kate seemed so uneasy with the whole cover story - being made to be a big hero for saving 5 lives. She didn't like it, and didn't like hearing Jack recite it. Even though this story would work in her favor, she cut him off in court.

Yeah, Painter...whats the deal with Dan? Is he mentally incapacitated, losing his memory, or maybe an idiot savant like Rainman? The guy couldn't remember 3 cards! He seemed socially retarded right off the bat, but now it looks like he is worse off than I thought. Maybe he's made too many trips through the wormhole or too many experiments with electromagnetism and fried his memory. (Would his brain, if we could see it, look like a fried egg? Another egg for Eggtown!) Maybe the island will heal him.

I originally thought Dan and Charlotte were trying to enhance their paranormal skills so they can be more in tuned with the island. I am still not clear on whether it was a memory test of an ESP test. But I am pretty sure that something ain't quite right with Dan.

I wonder if he had any part in designing the Swan station's, button/timer protocol, and all the stuff involved in regulating the electromagnetic energy. Maybe he is there to rebuild another system to contain the energy.
  12. painterZ

painterZ New Member

about the time difference...remember in the movie Back to the Future when Doc Brown's dog Einstein passed through time and his clock was one minute different than the Doc's time? Maybe the time difference between whatever was rocketed to the island and the actual island time is similar in some way. I don't know...it was just a thought that hit me while watching.

13. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Bruin63, I wanted to say that I liked your thoughts on the week 3 thread. No, I didn't notice that the actor who plays Michael is still in the credits!

That is a great theory that the original inhabitants of the island are from the pirate ship. It's too bad that Mr. Friendly, who was so good at playing pirate, was from the Dharma group.

I can understand why Ben would have rebelled against Dharma, but why would other Dharma members have killed their comrades?

That is sad that the actors who play Kate and Charlie broke up.

+4everkid, what I meant about Kate reverting was that as soon as the people from the freighter showed up, she started running her own agenda. She seemed to stop caring about Locke's and Sawyer's feelings. She even hit Sawyer! That's shocking for someone who is supposedly grieved by partner abuse.

But, I agree that it does seem like in the flash forward she had settled down and become a mom. So maybe she changes again between the present and the future. Also, when she met Jack at the airport, she seemed very settled, very calm and "normal".

I don't see Kate ended up with either Sawyer or Jack, at least not yet. I'd really like to find out that her high-school boyfriend survived the car crash and she gets back together with him! He was so nice and cute.

I wonder if Walmart will sell Dharma mugs!

Thanks for explaining what eggtown means.

I assumed that Dan and Charlotte were doing some kind of esp experiment. Maybe I assumed wrong!

That would be cute if Lost did an homage to "Back to the Future"

14. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Thanks for the coments.
    I will have to rewatch the part where Ben gas's everyone, from Darma,
    I was thinking that Richard was one of the Orginal inhabiants, and had helped Ben get rid of the Others.

This week, is about, Desmond, and I am hoping to find out more about him and Penny.

I usually don't buy the TV guide, the price is huge, compared to the old days, lol
    Anyway, I did buy one to see what is happening with the Shows now that the writters are back to work.

They have some good info, but I won't note it here, in case anyone, doesn't want to know, untill Thurs.

I did mention, that after, the last show, that some of us , may not like Kate, after what she does.

I agree, she has her own adgenda, and I think she really, Plays both, Sawyer and Jack.
    Can't wait to find out how and why she has Aaron.

In Desmonds, vision, he tell's Charlie, that if he dosen't die, Clair and the Bay wouldn't get rescued.
    So how come, He's dead, or is he, if he made that sacrifice...

Fingers are hurting, so I will say, have a Great Day.

15. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Okay, it's official. I am an addict. I just survived a two hours of FEAR of Lost withdrawal.

Plummers came, dug up the yard, filled it back in, and suddenly, MY CABLE WAS OUT!!!!!

Instantly, the symptoms kicked in. Irritability, stress, teeth-grinding, hand-wringing, and the intense fear that I would have to go without Lost.
    Poor hubby is sent out into the yard like a whipped dog, scrambling to dig up the cable to find the breach.

This can't be happening!
    What if he can't fix it???!!!
    If I call the cable co. today, will they make it by Thursday?
    Oh, the sheer terror!

I tried to calm myself. I reminded myself that I can always watch online. I can get my son to tape it for me. I will survive. But wait! My computer is on cable too! And my son put his VCR out to pasture long ago!

A sense of hopeless set in. I was ready to curl up in a dark corner in a fetal position when <<HARK>> THE CABLE RETURNED!

Woooo Hooooo!!!!! My hubby is the best in the world!
    To make up for my demonic behavior, I told him the picture was better than ever. I really think it is. Or maybe it just seems that way after staring hopelessly into the storm of TV snow for two hours.

Well, maybe it wasn't really two hours. But it sure SEEMED like it!

So there you have it. I am a Lost addict. But I don't want help. That would involve losing interest, or (gasp) giving it up. I prefer to remain addicted.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I am going to have a box of Dharma wine, a fish biscuit, and try to calm myself by reciting my new mantra.

The cable is fixed. I won't miss Lost. The cable is fixed. I won't miss Lost. The cable is fixed. I won't miss Lost.....

16. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Actually, I was about to respond to the recent posts, just before the cable tragedy struck.

Forebearance -
    Good question - why did some of the Dharma people join Ben in killing off the others? How could he turn them against their own unless there was something immoral going on? I hope we get an answer to that.

Thanks for explaining your thoughts on Kate. You are right about that. She did drop all concerns about everything and everyone to find out how this was going to effect her.

I was shocked when she hit Sawyer, but I understand her feelings. Neither of them really want a baby. But deep down, she wanted to believe that if she had been pregnant, he would have stuck by her. He made it clear he wouldn't when he chose team Locke. Then his joy over the news that she wasn't pregnant was like a twist of the knife. Bottom line - she wants him to love her. I think she feels used.

I also assumed ESP experiment at first. Like they were trying to hone their skills. But everyone else was talking memory loss. Then on second viewing, I realized that it did seem more about memory. I guess we will find out eventually.

Sharonk -
    You are right. Richard was a native and met Ben when Ben was a child. And he was right there after the gassing. Odd, because he seems like a nice guy.

When you said some of us may not like Kate after we see what she did, what exactly were you referring to? Her treatment of Sawyer, or the fact that she has Aaron, or something else?

Kate really is playing both guys! I feel sorry for Jack, who obviously loves her. But I am glad he isn't playing her game when she is clearly still chasing after Sawyer.

It really will infuriate all the Charlie fans if Claire doesn't make it off the island. He only took on that job knowing it would save Claire and Aaron. If they don't get off, he will have died for nothing.

They can't kill Claire when Jack hasn't even found out that she is his sister yet!

The wait for Desmond's episode is killing me! I want more time travel and I am hoping we will get that with this next episode! There are a lot of unanswered Desmond questions that need answers, both on the island, and in his pre-island life. I wonder if he is still having visions of the future, or was that just about Charlie?

Ok, I will shut up now and go drink that wine.