~~LOST (TV) Week 5~~ CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Feb 28, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

~~ ~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~~
    .............. 4:5 "The Constant" ..............

Tonights installment is a Desmond-centric episode. So get your extra pointy thinking caps on! With the new discovery of time being all wonky on or around the island, there is no telling what will happen when the helicopter group attempts to fly back to the freighter.

Last week I said that they were going to begin the break after episode 7. Now I read that the US and Canada WILL get episode 8 before the break, but the rest of the world has to wait. (Poor rest of the world! No fair!) Episode 8 will air on March 20 for us. Episode 9 will air on April 24. We can do that, right? We survived 8 months - one month is nothing.

My cable is working, and there is (finally) no severe weather to clutter my tv screen. I have my notepad, tissues and thinking cap perched on the end table .... I'm ready to go!

Jill, if you are out there reading, check in and say hi. I just want to know you are okay. We miss you!

[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2008]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I'm going to watch last week over again too. I used to not like that, I just wanted to jump into the new one, but I tried it last week and really liked doing it. Plus you get to read all the words at the bottom of the screen too.

I read in the newspaper that we find out what happens to the helicopter tonight.

I'm ready to go too!!
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have 5 hrs to go.......can't wait!!!

Everybody have a great night in LOST land~~~:)
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

episode! I loved every minute of tonight's episode. I usually watch Survivor before LOST but next week I'll be watching tonight's episode again.

I'll leave 4everkid to get into the new timeline, so to speak, and I'll just comment on how beautifully made it was. The production values are so high on this show. The rain while he was soldiering makes everything more difficult... it's harder to shoot, harder to mic., and way harder for the actors to work soaking wet but it was so rich and felt so cold and so different from the tropical atmosphere we're used to.

The direction was fantastic, the writing was superb and the acting was just splendid.

And, on top of all that, the story continues in a most satisfying way! I was enjoying my socks off by the first commercial break. I can hardly wait to see it again.

I'm impressed,

PS Molly, I hope your eye situation was not too distracting. It sounds horrible!

[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2008]
  5. painterZ

painterZ New Member

in what direction this show is going in, but I didn't watch "LOST" all these years to end up with some sci-fi explination about the island and all it's characters. I want to go back to the mystery and spirituality in the series. I don't like the concept of time travel...its way too hard for my pea brain to absorb. I had to watch The Terminator at least five times before I began to grasp it, and then it only lead into more questions. I'm not ready to jump ship just yet though.

Molly...I have dry eyes, but nothing near what it sounds like you're dealing with. I don't know what the "plugs" are supposed to do but I hope you find relief.

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I don't think that exploring alternate understandings of time takes any of the spirituality and meaning out of it at all!

For me they are very compatible!

Isn't it funny how different the experience is for everyone. I didn't say anything last week because I found that episode disappointing on a number of levels. But, for me, this one really rocked!

Maybe next week we will both find it delightful!

Peace to you,
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

But, that said, I do not think that Kate has Arron. I think that baby is one conceived with Sawyer. Did you not hear them talking about thinking Kate was pregnant?

Sawyer ask, "But what would be do with a baby". After he ask her if she still thought she way pregnant.

The rest of the last 2 weeks is getting to bazarr for me, it is over my head in comprehension.
  8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Whoa! That was for me, the BEST EPISODE EVER! I got my Desmond/time thang (I don't even know what to call it!)and we got several answers!

Sorry you are disappointed with the direction it's going painterZ. Maybe we can talk it through till it makes more sense. I like the spiritual aspects of the show too. And I believe that spirituality is one of the core themes of Lost. They won't forget all that, they just have to fill in some other pieces of the puzzle for now.

I hope the time stuff doesn't wreck it for you. You sound like how I felt when people were sure it would involve nanotechnology. NanoHUH? Please no!

Rafiki, I agree with every word you said. Everything about the technical aspect and the amount of skill and endurance the actors need. It's good to look at things from the other point of view sometimes. The actors were superb. I just love Desmond...such an emotional character, always played to perfection. The storyline blew me away. They always manage to go somewhere we never thought of.

This time, neither a flash back or a flash forward....but flashes.

Desmond's consciousness traveled to the past. When he returned, he had no memory of the present. He slips back and forth, and is saved when he manages to make contact with Penny on both ends of the time spectrum. Now that he has a "constant", a familiar person in both past and present, he is stuck back in place in time. Once he made contact with Penny by phone, he remembered Sayid and all was well again.

I was in tears when they talked on the phone. I felt like Desmond made some headway. And it felt good.

"Unstuck in time" What a horrible, terrifying, insanity-inducing trip that must be! I totally felt Desmond's terror. Not just your average, everyday time-slipping, but between the Royal Scots Army Drill Sargent, and descending from a chopper to a freighter in the middle of nowhere with total strangers!

So for the Losties, time is the SAME on and off island, but the PERCEPTION of the passage of time is askew. Don't fully get this yet.

We know why Dan Faraday is so confused now. He was also unstuck in time. But once he met Desmond in both the past and the present, he had a constant. So now he should be firmly planted. Should have worn that head protection back in the 90's! Dan, like Desmond, also can't remember the present, and this might explain the card memory test last week.

The reason Desmond and Dan Faraday were slipping through time is because they were both exposed long-term to high amounts of electromagnetic energy. Passing through the islands energy field again made things worse.

We learned what "the sickness" was! According to Danielle, her people went crazy then died of the sickness. Danielle's crew traveled through the electromagnetic energy and got time sick and all died but her. I remember she said her team was studying TIME! So maybe all but Danielle had been exposed to lots of EM energy in their studies.

We learned about the Black Rock ship - a trading mission to Siam. That Widmore dude is contemptible! The way he was too good and too clean to turn off his water faucet when there was a peon like Desmond to attend to it for him... Jerk!

msbsgblue - sorry to hear you are also lost. What part are you confused about? Maybe we can help.

Molly - Plugs in your eyes on Lost night...sounds like a nightmare I would have. Hope you are seeing well again!

There was a lot going on in this episode and I need to watch it again. But for now, my mind is toast. Great episode though, and it totally made up for last week, and more!

I am anxious to hear everyone else's thoughts on this mind blowing installment.

[This Message was Edited on 02/29/2008]
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I loved this episode and now I'm in love with Desmond. What a great actor!!! It was so emotional when he talked to Penny! And she vowed to never stop looking for him! And they told each other they loved them!

And now we know why they had the picture of Penny and Desmond right? Because Desmond gave it to Dan. Am I getting that right??

And thank you 4everkid for mentioning what made everyone on the island sick! Of course that was it!!! I am so happy that Desmond will be OK. I wonder what will happen to him in the future.

And after watching last week's episode again, I'm not convinced that Kate has Claire's Aaron either. Just not sure about that.
  10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

It was good, except for me it got a bit corny and "Back to the Futurish". With the mad scientist dude madly scribbling on the chalk board and the crazy laboratory.

Also, the sappy scene w Pen and Des......"Pen...Des...Pen...Des....." That was a little too soap opera-ish for Lost I thought. Glad they found each other, but I have a feeling it won't be that easy for them to actually to end up physically together. Remember, the communications guy said he had strict orders NOT to answer any calls from Pen? Anyone know who his boss might be?

As usual, need to watch it again. Des is so easy on the eyes, I guess I can stand looking at him a little more!

Oh, my cable signal got messed up for the last 10 sec or so, I was not a happy customer!! The last thing I saw was the notebook w "desmond is my constant"....did I miss anything else?[This Message was Edited on 02/29/2008]
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That was a good episode! The time travel stuff always confuses me, though! I'll think I have a tiny handle on it and then - POOF! - it's gone. And then it's back, and then it's gone....

So our delicious Des was going back and forth between 1996 and 2004. I just have to say, I like the longer hair look. He looked pretty fine with short hair, too, though!

OK, back to topic. Penny said she had been looking for him for the past 3 years. What happened in 2001 that made her start to look for him? Did I miss something? She clearly wanted nothing to do with him in 1996 and he said he would not call her for 8 years. Was evil Daddy involved in some coverup?

The hand writing note was interesting. He writes on his hand in one time and it doesn't show up in the past. I guess that was to show that it wasn't his body that was going back and forth, just his mind/consciousness.

Was Daniel just using Desmond to further his research? 1996 Daniel said something like "what makes you think future me sent you to me to help YOU?" Implying that 2004 Daniel just wanted to help himself. Unless Daniel figured out that both of them needed a Constant. Desmond's Constant was Penny and Daniel's Constant was Desmond.

Why did Danielle (names are getting a bit too close, here) survive? Was she actually going back and forth in time? Did she have a Constant? Or like Kid said, is it that she was never exposed to massive EM.

Lots to ponder.
  12. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Dar, I totally missed Desmond giving the photo of him and Penny to Dan. I will have to look for that on my next viewing. Another mystery solved!

Hermitlady, Those words in the notebook was the end of the show. All you missed was the preview for next week. I think Widmore is the one giving the orders not to answer the phone if Penny calls. Who else would know about her or care if she called?

I really like Frank the helicopter pilot. He seems to genuinely care about our people. I think he's a big softie.

Molly, I am glad you weren't blind for this episode! Is your hubby a part time watcher, or a latecomer to the show?

Normally I hate it when we don't get enough island time in an episode. But this time, I liked that they kept the focus on Desmond. It made the scenes of his abrupt slips through time more powerful. If we had to keep breaking to visit the islanders, it would have lost its momentum.

Twinma - I hadn't thought about Danielle time slipping. It seems like if she was, she'd be dead by now. But she was really crazy for a while. Interesting.

In 2001, we learned that Widmore had intercepted all Desmonds letters to Penny, and that he paid Desmond to cut off all contact with her. Penny met Desmond at the stadium when he was training for the boat race. She had been looking for him, but was engaged to get married. She wanted him back, but he was determined to win the race to win her fathers respect and her love. He told her he would return in a year. But then he got stranded. I always wondered if Widmore was responsible for him ending up on the island.

I don't think Dan figured out that he needed Desmond till the very end when he found the note he wrote to himself.
    Up till then, he was helping because he was the only one who understood the time problem.[This Message was Edited on 02/29/2008]
  13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Kid, If I were sitting beside you and you were saying what is in your posts I'd be bouncing up and down and going: Yeah! For sure! Yeah!

I just love the way Desmond says, "brother" That's my LUST comment for the week.

I think answering the question re Danielle's constant is key now. Maybe.

And, is there even more to Widmore than meets the eye? He sponsored the race Desmond was in when he got LOST. Did he arrange for Desmond to be on the island? Why did he and over Penny's address so nonchalantly?

14. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Widmore must have been involved in something that made Penny hate Desmond. That's why he handed over the address to Desmond, because he knew Pen was so mad. When Des asked him why do you hate me so much. Widmore replied that is wasn't him who hated Des, meaning Pen hated him.

So he must have said some lies to Pen or something!!

Now I'm not so sure about the picture. I thought I remembered that Desmond had the picture when he went to see Daniel, but I don't remember him giving it to him. So maybe we don't know that yet.

15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Are you time traveling? ;~)

If we see that picture being handed over next week we'll know!

It's a good thing you have Molly as your "constant".

Yeah, Penny's daddy is important and powerful... I think he's going to be an interesting villian uh, vilian uh, vilan, uh... how the heck do you spell bad guy?!

16. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

villain? Yeah! Got it!

17. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I loved this episode, too, Rafiki! Desmond has always been my favorite guy on the show! I love his accent, too.

I'm sorry to hear about your eyes, Molly. Glad they're better.

Hey, Painterz, where's the line between sci-fi and physics, I wonder?

It's true that you never know which direction this show is going to go in. They have us hooked, and they can take us any direction they want.

Wow, msbsgblue, you think that Aaron was Kate's baby? If so, he sure took after Sawyer in the hair department.

I agree, 4everkid, that was the best episode ever for me, too. It felt SO good to see Desmond and Penny get to talk to each other, at last!!

I am very puzzled as to why Penny is calling the ship when she supposedly doesn't know it exists. ????

Are you sure Dan was lost in time, 4everkid? He had written in his journal that Desmond was his constant if something went wrong. Did something go wrong already? Was it before we met Dan?

It would explain the card memory test!

I am also puzzled about the fact that Mr. Widmore was interested in the Black Rock before Desmond ever went to the island, and then Desmond just HAPPENED to get stranded on that very island, out of all the islands in the South Pacific. ???

Mr. Widmore not turning off the water faucet seemed like some kind of clue to me. Was it just a domineering gesture? Or was there some reason for it?

I agree he is a jerk, though.

OH, I didn't think about Danielle's shipmates, 4ever! That's right!! It could explain what happened to them! And here I was thinking rare tropical viruses or something. Why did Dharma use the vaccines, I wonder?

Lol about your two hotties in the helicopter, Molly. Maybe there was a rule that the cutest survivors have to get rescued first. Last week I wondered if Jack would ever get to find out that Aaron is his nephew. That might make a difference in his feelings.

Oh, something did happen to Penny, eventually, to make her want to look for Des, Twinma. I think it may have been when Des was lost at sea during the "around the world" race.

Your comments made me wonder something, Twinma. Did Desmond somehow lead the freighter people to the island? Were they looking for him as well as Ben?

Can't wait til next week!!!
  18. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I just re-watched it, and I noticed two more things.

75 minutes in 1996 = 5 minutes in 2004. Dan said Des had been unconscious for 75 minutes, and Des felt like 5 minutes had passed in 2004. What is up with that???

The first mate's journal from the Black Rock (is that what the document was?) was previously owned by Torvad Hanso!

The auctioneer made it sound like possibly no one else had ever read the document.

I also perked up at the mention of pirates possessing the journal/log/whatever it was from the Black Rock. So the ship ran into pirates at one point.

The plot thickens.

I admit that I didn't notice Des give Dan the photo of him and Penny. I could have missed it, though. It would explain how Dan got it.[This Message was Edited on 02/29/2008]
  19. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Actually, I am not sure of ANYTHING.

Daniel seemed confused, disoriented & memory challenged from the time we met him. He even had to pause to remember his own name. Dan keeps blabbing stuff he isn't supposed to, like he forgot the rules. Like Des, he's had prolonged exposure to EM energy. The show ended with the note to himself about Desmond being his constant. It just seemed to fit that he is also slipping in time. I could be completely wrong.

I suspect that Widmore is the guy the freighties answer to. And I suspect that he is involved with Hanso/Dharma. If he is, then he would also know about the special properties of the island, that drew them there to begin with.

There were 6 Dharma stations set up on the island by 1980, long before Des came into the picture. The Black Rock crashed there sometime around 1845. The first mates journal may give a lot of clues as to why this ship crashed in the center of the island. If Widmore was involved with Dharma he would be interested in this journal, Desmond or not.

Widmore did everything he could to keep Des & Pen apart. He thought he had succeeded when Pen got engaged to someone else. But then Desmond professed that he was going to win the boat race, sponsored by Widmore, to win her love back, and her father’s respect. He told her he would return in a year.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that Widmore caused Desmond to crash on the island somehow, just to keep him away from Penny. It would be a perfect place to hide him.

Penny said she knew about the island. She must know of her fathers involvement with it and its strong EM properties.

At the end of season 2, we saw the 2 guys at the listening station whose job it is to detect any electromagnetic signatures emanating from the Earth. At the exact moment that the hatch blew on the island, an electromagnetic anomaly is detected at this station. Immediately they call Penny and tell her the location of the island.

It all just fits together so well. Penny knows about the island, her fathers involvement, and his hatred of Desmond. So she is looking for this island assuming her father had Desmond stashed there.

Widmore may be trying to find Desmond before Penny does. He probably gave the photo to Naomi to identify him by.

This is mostly speculation.

My brain is so fried I had to lay it all out to make sense to myself. Sorry, no matter how hard I try I am just incapable of a short answer. It's a good thing I don't have to pay for the space I take up here!
  20. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

After Des & Pen split up, he joined the army, then ended up in military prison. Before he went to prison, she wrote him a love letter and stuck it in his book "Our Mutual Friend". He never found the letter till 3 years after he was stranded. He wrote lots of letters to her from prison, but Widmore intercepted them all. When she tracked him down in the US at the stadium, she asked if he had ever read the book. He told her no. (He was saving it to be the last thing he read before he died.)

So he never got her love letter in time, and she never got any of his letters. She felt abandoned I guess.

So when Widmore handed over Pennys address, he was pretty confident that he had split them up for good. A little over confident I guess.