Lot's of nurses and care takers have fibromyaligia????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi All

just wondering how many of us have been in the care takeing feild for a living and ended up with this diagnosis?........................................................seems like alot of us took really good care of others along the way in our jobs and maybe not ourselves?...........................................................I know i always went the extra mile working as a therapy and nurses aide and sometimes doing other people's job for them too!!............................................anyway thats all we do now is try to take care of ourselves!

sisland Bump
  2. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

Sisland,

My doctor and discuss this subject on a regular basis. He says the majority of his FMS/lupus patients are nurses or are in the healthcare profession. I think you're on the right track as to why so many of us are getting sick. I think it's because we work in what can be a very stressful job, we work overtime, we do others work for one reason or another. Maybe we do wear our imune systems down and that's one reason why we make such great candidates for FMS. I know I've spent a lot of off the clock time with patients who were dying and there was no one else to stay with them and I can't stand to see someone die alone. We do give a lot of ourselves to our profession.

Tania
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

mostly women get this or atleast complain enough and go to the dr's for some help...

so yes i was a caretaker as a child of an alocholic and a depressed mother of 4 children...

then i got married ype 21 yrs old...took care of him too...had a child at the age of 4 days turning 25...still taking care of him also he is 16 years old...not so much caretakeing...no drug, sex or alcohol problems w/him...

i was a registered dental assistant, real estate salesperson, mobile notary and many other things...

i have cared for too many people...now it is for me to be cared for and respected....

jodie
  4. code34me

code34me New Member

I still have my certifications I keep them current but cant work anymore. I did work on an ambulance for 13 years! I loved it and miss it but now stay home with son 3 and daughter 13 and that is all I can do. I have been dx with FM for 6 years and CFS for 2 years but remember complaining of fatigue in 1994 and doc said I had EBV but nothing he could do about it.

Once a care taker always a care taker I think?

Take care of you! Codey
  5. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

it is usually the woman in the family who shoulders most of the caretaking responsibility, so it stands to reason that most people with FM are women, if this criteria is anything to go by.

My husband and I have been caring for our two severely mentally handicapped children for 26 and 18 years respectively. My FM was dx two years ago.
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There have been other posts about this; a lot of people find this interesting. I was a nurse for 23 years before I got sick. I'm sure that it contributed to my illness with the shift work, strss and close proximity to infectious sources.

All that being said, I loved nursing and am glad I chose it as a profession. I guess caregiving comes naturally to us.

Kathy.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I think may be that we have all been very hard workers per se. No matter what field. We all seem to be the giving, caring types here.

I wonder if we just darn well overdid it.

Some of the very young ones here-were you athletes or felt you were never still as children?

When they say "No one ever died of hard work" that is not true, I think many6 people are made ill by working too hard.

Love Anne C
  8. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Hi sis,

I think you will find there are lots of caring people with FM and that they have had some kind of job helping people.

I think there was a post like this one before with a lot of nurses , health care workers and teachers responding.

It is hard to have this happen and now be shunned by the medical field

Thanks for posting

kgangel
  9. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

I have always been a caregiver for someone. Whether it be my sister, on the Fire Department, in the Emergency room, or caring for the elderly in a nursing home.

Like most of you, I am unable to do that anymore. I just gave up my EMT which broke my heart. I love doing that. I am afraid I will mess up on something because I cannnot remember it. I physically cannot do the positions anymore.

Besides my children and husband, these are the things I loved to do.

It made me feel good about myself. Not I have a job anyone could do.

10. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I have fibro~I have a feeling that many teachers also have this disease. I know with being a social worker and dealing with problems all day long, it can really get to me sometimes.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

I was married a the young age of 19... and started having kid's at 20..............3 girls all ,4 years apart..........worked full time for the whole time they were growing up..................needles to say the marriage of 14 years didn't last due to alhcolism <drugs,etc...................................on their dad's end.................................................But my point is that < that's all i ever did was work really hard and try to raise my girl's to the best of my ability````````````````````````i'm happy to report that they are all in college with my middle girl graduating in may with an elementry teaching certificate................and my oldest has a buisness management certificate!``````````````````````````````now if she can put it to good use that will be great!!......................MY Baby who is 19 just finished her 1st year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and i'm so proud of them all! they have been my pride and joy over the years!.........Love to all p.s. they are Tanya 27, Janell 23 Kymberlie 19...............Lonv to all! sydney
  12. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Very interesting point.I think I read that somewhere before.
    It's a shame that those that care for others end up needing care, if they can find someone that believes them.
    Sheila
  13. sop28

sop28 New Member

I'm a nurse. It just seems that when I am at work everyone else sits around the nurses station, talks on the phone, etc... I am lucky if I get a D**N chance to PEE! I don't know about everyone else, but I know that I take horrible care of myself at work. Skipping meals, not drinking fluids, not even sitting down for a moment to catch my breath. I find this very interesting; another nurse and pt care assistant that I work with both have FM. Next week is the last of my medical leave and I am terrified that I am not going to be able to cope and have to quit! I hate the thought of that!

Tammy
  14. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Look into the disability laws in your area. In some places, they are obliged to modify your work to fit your disability. Maybe they could put you in an area that is not as physically demanding.

Kathy
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

I was definatly in your shoes for along time !! the last job i was on was working at a disabled vetrens home for 7 years ! don't get me wrong I loved my job! but ther were people there that would't pull there weight~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~so needless to say " it seems to me that the people who are more than willing to do the extra work load get stuck with all of it"............................if you know what i mean !! not telling you what to do but i agree with pianowoman maybe it would be to your benifit to look into a lighter work load!!..........................................................might save you from many years of unecessary pain! love sisland
  16. wangotango

wangotango New Member

the emergency room as a pa whe i came down with cfs. very busy place we seen 140 pts every 12 hr shift, no dinner breaks or pee breaks. bill
    ps: my cf doctor told me most of his patients 70%, are health care workers.
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Sisland,

I am a newbie and have yet to dxed after having most of these symptoms for 20 + years and was dxed with EBV about that time. I to was a nurse, then quit to say home with the family, had 5 children and 1 grandfather ( father in law ) at home who was pretty good until about the time I got ill - (then he got alzheimers ). Then, I did home child care and you think that is not stressful (-: !!! I did enjoy it most of the time though..

Going to a rheumy the beginning of May . Hopefully I will finally get some answers. I tried going to an endo for that supposed thyroid connection and it didn't really help but did get more help for my osteoporosis.

I have the CFS and the pain all over esp in the head and neck area. The whole thing is STRESS related I think and the whatever it is ( virus , etc.) takes hold of your body when you are in a weekend state and then forget it. I am still waiting for help.

Bye for now. Hope to get to know you all soon.

Blessings and smiles,

Marilyn ( from Tx)
  18. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    nice to meet you ! hopefully your Dx won't be to awful!! glad you are with us ! I'm sort of new here also so just keep us informed !!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sisland
  19. 1horse

1horse New Member

yup.. I'm a nurse..retired...there sure a lot of us with fm..
  20. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

this psychologist i went to yesterday
    told me that usually EVERYONE with FM was what they call a "caretaker."
    or someone who really cares about other people.
    and that's why it's mostly women who get it,
    since we "genetically" have a caregiving instinct in us.

i don't know if it's true, but it's what he believed =].

-danielle