LOTS OF VICODIN WHAT NEXT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shalyn840, Mar 9, 2007.

1. shalyn840

shalyn840 New Member

I was on Ultram for pain up until a few weeks ago when I got a horrible, horrible flare.

The doc prescribed Vicodin 7.5/500 one every 6 hours. That didn't work. He told me to double up on it and that would be fine.

I currently take 6 pills a day. I am almost pain-free. I am not tired anymore. I have more energy. I am happier. I feel better all the way around.

I must have been very bad before I was on it, because I almost feel like I have my life back.

However, is this normal? Should people with fibro need this much pain medication? And what's next - A MORPHINE PUMP?
  2. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I just recently had to have my Hydrocodone increased from 7.5/750 to 10/325 but I also take Neurontin, 300mg every 6 hours. I’ve heard that with narcotic pain meds, then do have to be adjusted or changed after awhile because I think our bodies get use to them.

My grandmother suffered from extremely painful arthritis and after the Oxycontin stopped working, the doctor did insert a morphine pump in her but she was 80 years old at the time.

I hope you don’t get to that point, I hope none of us do! I try not to think about it because it will only stress me out & cause more pain. One day at a time for us!
  3. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi shalyn--sounds GREAT that you found a dose that works for you, happy you can have your life back (almost).
    I have found (for me, anyway) that the difference between 1 vic. and 2 is remarkable, and i've often read other posts that agree with my exper. that vicodin will work better than even stronger meds, no clue why, for fibro.
    For now--celebrate the success, but you are on 3 grams of tylenol/day, that would be my concern rather than the amount of hydrocodone. Liver toxicity can become a problem at 3-4 grams/day (I THINK--Foggy day) so if you could keep the 15 mg. of hydro and back down the tylenol, it would be healthier.
    Maybe doc could prescribe the 10/325 and you could take 1 and 1/2 every 6 hours instead. I have found that i was able to hold steady on a decent dose of hydrocodone for years, while needing to increase fentanyl, other strong meds very fast due to tolerance, so i hope that is the case with you.
    It really isn't THAT much pain med, if you ask us and not your friends, family, etc. who just don't get it. AND-since you obviously needed that dose, there is no feeling of a "high", another concept others don't get.
    When you become tolerant enough that that dose doesn't work for you, there are many different long acting options, so don't sweat it, just be happy for the relief you finally found!
    Good luck--L
    OH JUST REREAD and remembered my simple math skills-You are on 4 gr. tylenol/day, def. need to back down on that!!!!
  4. blkkat

blkkat New Member

i agree w/obrnlc- to much tylenol is not safe for the old liver. i was worried about mine so DR put me on straight oxycodone , thats opiate -spell? w/out tylenol ,much safer. also adding just 10mgs oxycontin 2 x day has really helped me. ive tried methadone and morphine but it makes me real sick. glad you feel better but id ask or read up on what to much tylenol can do. GOD BLESS - BLKKAT
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Have you tried meds like Cymbalta, Neurotin, Lyrica, etc. to get pain relief from them? or ... meds for your RA?

Perhaps they may help more on your pain relief and you woulldn't need so much Vicodin.

Just a thought.
  6. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

I'M just like most been suffering severaly for 4 years the first 2 years they couldn't control my pain tried all that stuff every one has named stayed in and out of er doc office till found one doc that wasn't affraid to give me the pain med's and i have been on them for 2 years i would rather that than to suffer like i was. Now the dosage i've taken for 2 years is starting not to work ,but i also think i need a better doc.